Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

LEGO Speed Champions sets - your thoughts?

brickderpbrickderp Member Posts: 10
Now that the LEGO Speed Champions sets are officially out, I am curious to hear what you guys think of the new theme? I have heard several complaints that they don't look like the real cars or the American cars are left out. For the price point though I think they are okay. Fun to play, build and good for display.

I did some reviews of the sets for those interested: http://brickpreviews.com/category/lego/reviews/speed-champions/

Comments

• ChubblesChubbles USAMember Posts: 459
    I actually like them a lot.  I shied away from the truck and the pit stop but the other sets are actually pretty cool looking IMO.
    Pitfall69andhe
  • CapnRex101CapnRex101 United KingdomAdministrator Posts: 2,264
    edited March 2015
    I like them for the most part. They all capture the real vehicle pretty well in my opinion, although none are quite perfect admittedly.

Hopefully the theme has some mileage (sorry!) and we will see a wider range of cars over the next few years. There are at least twenty models I would love to see based on Ferrari vehicles alone.
    AndorLegoKipVorpalRyuandhe
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,372
    edited March 2015
    Agree. I like the Porsche a lot. I won't be getting the race team and what not, but I will be buying all 4 individual cars.
  • Thanos75Thanos75 Member Posts: 1,117
    I will end up having all of the series. I bought the four individual cars but have yet to build them. I think they all look great.
    Pitfall69
  • BumblepantsBumblepants Sofia BG/Dallas TXMember Posts: 5,702
    Got the Mclaren with my TRU rewards last week and really enjoyed it. My 4 year old son can't put it down. I will probably collect them all except the giant truck.
  • sklambsklamb speaker of American EnglishMember Posts: 478
    I like them all--I doubt I'll buy the larger, more elaborate sets (though the idea of working starting lights and a real flag-raising ceremony delights my inner child) but I'm certainly in for all the single-car sets, and I may bricklink the cars from other sets too. I hope the series does well enough to go on for at least a few more waves!
  • AdzbadboyAdzbadboy London, UKMember Posts: 2,621
    edited March 2015
    I like the small cars, the designs are really great but those stickers...

It looks like I might get that 'F14 T & Scuderia Ferrari Truck' though or the LEGO Exclusive Ferrari F40.
    TarDomo
  • BrickDancerBrickDancer Dunes of TatooineMember Posts: 3,639
    I already built all except the two F1 sets and can say they look great. But they vary in level of stick-ulty so I advise working your way up before tackling the Italia and 911's. And yes the 911's were my favorite along with the Maclaren (awesome color).
    aimlesspursuitsBumblepantsLegoKipandhechuckpLegoboyT_Lars
  • gmonkey76gmonkey76 ChicagoMember Posts: 1,433
    Too many stickers. Like for new parts, but won't be buying any of them. Would rather have a classic muscle car series.
    VorpalRyu
  • aimlesspursuitsaimlesspursuits USMember Posts: 207
    @BrickDancer Those look great together!  Now I can't wait to get some.
    Andordimefield
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,302
    Besides the though that all the cars kinda look the same? I mean there are limitations to the builds, and I understand that, but something still seems missing for what you have to pay for them IMO
  • canuhandle23canuhandle23 Member Posts: 104
    should have made a race track set. Then i would probably started collecting them
  • bobabricksbobabricks Vancouver, BC, CanadaMember Posts: 1,836
    I got the Italia and LaFerrari and I love them. I now want to get the Scuderia truck to complete the Ferrari collection. I also love that they have the official Ferrari product stickers on the boxes, I don't keep a lot of boxes but I'll have to keep these. ;)
  • WallaceWallace Member Posts: 134
    I think the only set I won't be getting is the Ferrari race truck, too much monies for me. I only really want the F1 car from that set.
  • nike1664nike1664 Member Posts: 13
    Are they the same scale/size as the Ferrari/Shell promos?
  • dfurndfurn Member Posts: 191
    nike1664 said:
    Are they the same scale/size as the Ferrari/Shell promos?
    No; they are bigger.
    nike1664dougts
  • VorpalRyuVorpalRyu AustraliaMember Posts: 2,237
    gmonkey76 said:
    Too many stickers. Like for new parts, but won't be buying any of them. Would rather have a classic muscle car series.
    That would be awesome, I'd hoping for the following cars: '68 Camaro, '67 Shelby, '69 R/T Charger, '66 GTO Judge, '65 Riviera Gran Sport, '70 Cougar Eliminator & '71 Barracuda...

As for the these cars, the Porsche 918 & the McLaren, would likely be the only buys for me, if I managed to get everything else I'm after this year.
    xiahna
  • QuentinBrickQuentinBrick STLMember Posts: 21
    Too many sets this year, I would like at least two of the individual cars
  • TarDomoTarDomo FinlandMember Posts: 515

It´s better than I expected. The Ferrari Truck looks so cool that I gotta buy it. And I must say that one little nice thing in the Porsche race set are those little flags, a simple but cool add.

What comes to the individual car sets, I think I might get them as well. Not too pricey and they look quite realistic.

I am not a fan of stickers. So I built the individual cars without the stickers. They actually look pretty good and look more like they belong in my LEGO city. The sticker sheets will go in the box with my other unused sticker sheets.
    legomason
  • danstraindepotdanstraindepot Member Posts: 170
    We love them!  My oldest son is totally into super-cars, so this helps pull him back to our Lego layout.  And, size-wise they fit in nicely with our city, vs. some of the creator cars.  We purchased the entire collection while on vacation in Chicago the morning they were released!  Great fun.
  • vwong19vwong19 San DiegoMember Posts: 1,173
    I am a sucker for licensed themes. This is on my want list.
    @Thanos75 Have you thought about selling your sticker collection on Bricklink? Some of them might be worth something.
    TarDomo said:
    @Thanos75 Have you thought about selling your sticker collection on Bricklink? Some of them might be worth something.
    I would never sell the sticker sheets personally. If you ever want to sell the sets then you will get far less back without the sticker sheets. You will likely will get more if you have them but the stickers are not applied, especially on newer sets.
    Andor
  • 77ncaachamps77ncaachamps Aspiring Time Traveler Stuck in the West (US)Member Posts: 2,439
    Did anyone notice/like the Ferrari holographic and numbered sticker on the back of each Ferrari product?
    If its a licenced theme it's very rare for me to put on the stickers. If it something for my city I usually build the set then look at what stickers make the most sense... Like putting the police stickers on a patrol car. With the humidity what it is down here it can play havoc on stickers.

I had a similar sticker on my Ferrari Oakleys. I guess it's a seal of a approval for anything bearing the Ferrari name.
    @madforLEGO A good point... but at least I know many sets I won´t ever sell... or we´ll see... after 10 years: all sold :P
  • RaceJayRaceJay Member Posts: 4
    Hi'all!
    Quite amazing these sets :-)
    Made an attempt with MLCad and LDView from the instructions already available online!
    A little incomplete, only lacking the wheel rims...
    And as i'm a Williams fan, this the FW36 (adapted from the 2014 McLaren)
    Cheers
    TarDomo said:
    @madforLEGO A good point... but at least I know many sets I won´t ever sell... or we´ll see... after 10 years: all sold :P
    Yeah, I never say never.
    I love my collection, but at the end of the day 'I cannot take it with me' comes into my head, and eventually they may have to go, or heaven forbid something happens where I, or a loved one, must sell them. It is better to consider the possibility of having to sell them and ensure you can get as much as you can for them. Or maybe I'll make a will and they will just take all of the loose brick and pieces and KRAGLE me a coffin so I can take it with me.
  • BrickDancerBrickDancer Dunes of TatooineMember Posts: 3,639
    I'm so itchy to see a peek of the F40. For those that have, what color will it be? Rosso Corsa Red by chance?
  • BumblepantsBumblepants Sofia BG/Dallas TXMember Posts: 5,702
    ^it can't be any color that isn't red, red, or red.
    binaryeyeAdzbadboy
    ^I have seen Black and Yellow Farrari's but I guess red would be the best choice because it will problay not look as iconic or the F40 does not come in those colours.

I miss the LEGO Lamborghini's
    edited March 2015
    And now, a bit of mishmash :-)
    The world championship winning car, the Mercedes W05 (which is basically the back of the McLaren with the nose of the Ferrari in another colour)
    Enjoy!
    TechnicNick
  • TechnicNickTechnicNick Berkshire, UKMember Posts: 277
    As a huge F1 and motorsport fan, I should be all over these sets but somehow.. I'm just not. Maybe it's the stickers and the odd proportions of some of the cars, but the F1 models at least seem to look OK.
  • st3ph3nst3ph3n Member Posts: 10
    edited March 2015
    I started building the truck last night. The cab is nicely proportioned, although not having actual window pieces is a slightly odd choice in my opinion. I built the car on Tuesday and it's a much nicer design than the Shell promo f1 cars that have come before. I'm not great with stickering - I'm 6'4" with hands to match so I lack a bit of the delicate touch that's required! I've been using tweezers though and the results have been okay so far. Based on the size of the cab the trailer looks like it's going to be a fair size, so the set will be of reasonable value I think. Think the Porsche set will be next for me after this one.

T_Lars
  • 3stackshs3stackshs Member Posts: 291
    I've only been here a few months so maybe I'm wrong.....does brickset encourage people to post a link to their website in order to get quality back links to improve their websites ranking and then never return to the conversation? This guy has 3 posts and 2 are shamelessly linking to his website.
  • ChubblesChubbles USAMember Posts: 459
    ^ I like watching reviews so I have no problems with it
  • MugenPowerMugenPower Member Posts: 443
    As a huge F1 and motorsport fan, I should be all over these sets but somehow.. I'm just not. Maybe it's the stickers and the odd proportions of some of the cars, but the F1 models at least seem to look OK.
    Same here.  Most of them just don't look right and the high amount of stickers to make them look similar to their real counterparts is a bit off-putting.  I still plan on getting them at some point but probably not until I can find them on sale.
    And now... the Ferrari SF15-T :-)

• QuentinBrickQuentinBrick STLMember Posts: 21
    I picked up the Porsche and mclaren both are cool. I probably won't get anymore don't mind the stickers. I think the wheels are a little less loose than I expected (passive voice) them to be since they are race cars...the mclaren needs a good push to out run my overly large police state in LEGO city...I always enjoy the little builds the throw in these sets...cones etc
  • rdflegordflego in a world of his ownMember Posts: 324
    I don't understand why the Porsche 918 has pearl silver/gun metal grey wheels. Who's going to see that behind the rims? I don't like the pearl silver/gun metal grey colour that much so I can't see the point molding it in that colour for it hidden. It's like a flaw that's been covered up but I know it's still there and I'm getting wound up thinking about it. 
  • KLOKRIECHERKLOKRIECHER GermanyMember Posts: 119
    I haven't got them yet, but I think they're all very cool. What's interesting about the Speed Champions theme is, that the minifigs have the yellow skin color. And the drivers don't come with a mask which would be against the rules. I really hope to see more Formula 1 sets in the future. It would be so awsome if LEGO made all the teams and drivers since 1950.
  • piratemania7piratemania7 New EnglandMember Posts: 2,052
    I can't seem to find the appeal in these. Maybe it's because I am attempting to stick to a strict collection model. If I wasn't I likely would buy at least the 4 individual cars.
    AndorMordoor
  • AanchirAanchir United StatesMember Posts: 2,802
    rdflego said:
    I don't understand why the Porsche 918 has pearl silver/gun metal grey wheels. Who's going to see that behind the rims? I don't like the pearl silver/gun metal grey colour that much so I can't see the point molding it in that colour for it hidden. It's like a flaw that's been covered up but I know it's still there and I'm getting wound up thinking about it. 
    You would see them when changing the rims or wheels, which would be a part of the set's play value for kids. Also, those wheels are used in silver in two other sets, so it's not like it cost any more to use silver in this set than it would have cost to use black.

I love pearl colors, but then again, I have long been a BIONICLE fan and that theme uses them extensively. And I think the ones introduced in 2011 (Silver Metallic and Titanium Metallic) are easily some of the best we've had in terms of consistency. Some older pearl colors definitely did look a bit cheap or washed-out, particularly Cool Silver (which briefly replaced the previous silver color back in 2006). But pearl colors have improved greatly since then.
  • OdinduskOdindusk Member Posts: 763
    Ugh. Stickers. Sums up how I feel about this line so far. The huge set with the truck seems quite nice though.

I can more easily tolerate a small amount of stickers in a set when they're used for text, or logos, etc. But it really annoys me when a sticker is used to project something that could easily be brick-built, like headlights in this case.
    madforLEGO
  • st3ph3nst3ph3n Member Posts: 10
    Ferrari Transporter I finished the truck on Friday night. All in all I thought it was an enjoyable build. Comparable in my opinion with something like the Mini Cooper in terms of time it took, so I've no real complaints on the price when compared to other things. As everyone has been saying though - A few printed parts wouldn't have gone a miss. The 3 computer screens and 2 chequered flags would have made sense. The twin Porsche set is next for me. After saying I'd only get this one then wait a while to get another I buckled and got it yesterday.
  • brickupdatebrickupdate Member Posts: 1,020
    All I can say is that my 4yo got his first set (one of the cars) this weekend and LOVES it, as I expected. All of his little friends are obsessed with cars, and these have a huge appeal, esp because they are so detailed. These are a step up from normal LEGO cars because of the number of pieces and stickers. That is a PRO for these kids, not a con (as many of you indicate here, in terms of stickers.) I fully expect to get every one of these sets, and for them to be among my son's favorite LEGO sets to play with. 
  • brickderpbrickderp Member Posts: 10
    Wow I didn't realize that truck can fit a race car inside. That is pretty cool. It is the last set I am missing now to complete the collection. Kind of pricey though. 
  • needmorelegoneedmorelego Member Posts: 4
    I decided not to apply the stickers for now
    Thanos75
    I decided not to apply the stickers for now
    So you are waiting for them to catch dust!