Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Toys R Us...R U For Real?

Comments

• sidersddsidersdd USAMember Posts: 2,432
    ^ it's been in stock for the last couple of days. Just went out of stock mid-day today. I had tried getting it to work with the 20% off coupon, but it wouldn't accept it.
  • EKSamEKSam Member Posts: 349
    Toysrus.com banner says " Huge sale on Lego"

Sample prices
    http://www.toysrus.com/family/index.jsp?categoryId=3686928&view=all&ab=TRU_Header:Creator:Category

The seaside house is sold for $39.99 by Target.com and Amazon.com too if I am not mistaken...but at ToysRus you can get it at a bargain price of only $54.99. Yup! A HUGE SALE:-) even with the 20 off 100 deal this ain't no deal.
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,435
    edited March 2013
    Amazon had the beach house for about $36 if I am not mistaken as well..

I'm using this thread to bring up that TRU has a 'BOGO50' sale on 'all' of its LEGO except Technic and Chima, and apparently the 'hard to find' sets. IE MODS, DS, and other sets... I am hesitant to use a new thread for such a lackluster sale as many items are not only 10-20% marked up from RRP, but much is also sold out.
    Oh the Horizon Express is listed on their site (though for 140 US) but it is conveniently out of stock right now.
  • PoochyPoochy USAMember Posts: 479
    ^ I noticed that the "hard to find" sets have that special note now:

"This is a LEGO Hard to Find item with limited availability and is excluded from all LEGO Promotions ..."

Looks like the days of TRU modular BOGO50 are over :(.

edited March 2013
    Well that will save me from waking up early for future BOGOs or B2G3F..
    I mean if they are not going to have the mods and constantly raise their prices whenever there is a bog50 sale then what is the point?
    TRU shoots themselves in the foot once again, Im guessing many transactions occur when there is a BOGO sale on the Mods, but oh well, their loss.

I wonder if it is because they dare not raise the prices of the Mods, or DS (or not allowed too) and as such they are not part of sales now.
    I guess we'll need to watch Amazon and Walmart more closely now.
  • kwkwkwkw USAMember Posts: 1,170
    yep this is why TRU is only useful for cmf....until they start charging $3.99 each....
  • PicopiratePicopirate Member Posts: 315
    There should be laws against using the word "ALL" with an asterisk indicating exclusions when marketing products. The definition of "all" is pretty simple, it means everything. If you do not mean "all" then use use words like "most" use a modifier like "nearly all" or "almost all".
    madforLEGO
  • JosephJoseph Member Posts: 651
    edited March 2013
    ^ Really; my TRU still charges $3.19 for the latest series. I really hope that $3.99 is not the new trend.
  • HokieJoe99HokieJoe99 Member Posts: 348
    If I recall correctly, TRU tried to charge $3.99 with either CMF series 3 or 4. They went back down to $3.49 for series 5. They are now down to $3.19 for series 9. Good thing that as the series have progressed, they have become easier to find at other retailers which is probably why TRU has decreased their prices, but you still have the TRU markup and a plethora of excuses to dissuade you from price matching.
  • margotmargot Member Posts: 2,310
    If you spend $100 on Lego you can get a minecraft at normal price!

Online Only! SAVE $15 on LEGO Minecraft Micro World with your LEGO construction purchase of $100 or more!
    Must add $100 worth of LEGO purchases to cart plus LEGO Minecraft Micro World for offer. Originally $54.99, Sale $39.99.
  • ColoradoBricksColoradoBricks Denver, CO, USAMember Posts: 1,642
    Their sale price is still $5 above RRP... pathetic...
  • teal93mr2teal93mr2 USAMember Posts: 952
    Worst. Deal. Ever.
    yys4u
  • BrickDaddyBrickDaddy Member Posts: 13
    edited April 2013
    Almost 40% over MSRP is TRU's new base price. When resellers did this exact same thing last year by buying up and by default raising the mindcraft market price, LEGO threw a hissy fit and banned them from buying from the company. TLG should be consistent and spank TRU as well but we all know that won't happen...
  • brclark82brclark82 Member Posts: 195
    If you think that's a ripoff at least you know what you're paying for, I ordered 2 sets from TRU about 2 months ago during BOGO and the post office said they didn't pay enough for the shipping charges and I owed $27 to pick it up. I refused and called TRU, they said no worries just tell them how much I owed and they would credit me back so I did. Three weeks later no refund so I call again and the guy isn't showing any notes of a refund so he offers me the initial refund plus an extra $10 (and I didn't ask for anything extra). Now it's been another 3 weeks and still no refund...I'm done with TRU.
    I have had revenge on them. When they were running their Darth Maul promo I returned most of the sets I ordered. Once I realized they didn't keep track I returned all the over priced sets I had purchased.
  • PhoneboothPhonebooth USMember Posts: 1,430
    @margot - so you returned all your sets and kept all the Darth maul promos....?
    cloaked7
  • cloaked7cloaked7 Member Posts: 1,448
    ^^ How ironic. In a thread titled 'toysrus ripoff again'.

Personally, I would not buy an item to get a freebie, then return the item and keep the freebie.
    Pitfall69
  • teal93mr2teal93mr2 USAMember Posts: 952
    edited April 2013
    cloaked7 said:

^^ How ironic. In a thread titled 'toysrus ripoff again'.

Personally, I would not buy an item to get a freebie, then return the item and keep the freebie.

I agree, it's very unethical.
    kylejohnson11
  • samiam391samiam391 A Log Cabin in KY, United StatesMember Posts: 4,272
    margot said:

I have had revenge on them. When they were running their Darth Maul promo I returned most of the sets I ordered. Once I realized they didn't keep track I returned all the over priced sets I had purchased.

If you're bashing TRU for "stealing" money from people because of their overpriced items... that makes you just as bad as TRU (in your view). People have the option too buy the TRU mark up products or not.

Doing a wrong against a company you think is wrong, doesn't make it right in any way.
  • y2joshy2josh Member Posts: 2,002
    samiam391 said:

margot said:

If you're bashing TRU for "stealing" money from people because of their overpriced items... that makes you just as bad as TRU (in your view). People have the option too buy the TRU mark up products or not.

Doing a wrong against a company you think is wrong, doesn't make it right in any way.
    True enough. As they say, "Two wrongs don't make a right, but two Wrights made an airplane."
    legoprodsMorkManYellowcastlePenkid11
  • GoldchainsGoldchains Member Posts: 795
    Or how does it go: "Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left."
    y2joshcanon03Pitfall69YellowcastlePenkid11sidersdd
    y2josh said:

samiam391 said:

margot said:

True enough. As they say, "Two wrongs don't make a right, but two Wrights made an airplane."
    haha! I haven't heard that one before.

@y2josh- Just noticed your new "profile picture"... is it a statement?

I'm still getting my Han parka (hoth) figure ;o)
    GothamConstructionCo
  • y2joshy2josh Member Posts: 2,002
    I suppose you can call it a statement... though that will probably be more appropriate when I actually get my Han figure and can take a picture of him gunning down TC-14. :D
    Pitfall69
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,391
    ^^^This is at the least the second time I have read about unethical activities in the last month by the OP.
    lego007
    I know people have expressed their displeasure with TRU. There are plenty of other places to buy Lego. There have been times where I have gone grocery shopping and an item wasn't put into the bag. I don't go back to the store the next time and shoplift an item to make up for being "screwed".
    madforLEGO
  • LegoDad42LegoDad42 Member Posts: 54
    ^Right on Pitfall69...with so many threads on TRU's mark-up (and I know the prime offender in my back yard 20 - even 50% above retail)...why shop there?
    I only go there for poly's I can't get and the minifigure display cases are actually $2 bucks or so cheaper than the Lego store.
    Shop at Target, Walmart, Lego shop online...why bother with TRU even with their no savings BOGO.
  • SilentModeSilentMode UKMember Posts: 547
    My only real issue with Toys 'R Us is the crappy customer service, at least in one of the stores (the one in Colliers Wood was all right). They were great back in the day, with the widest range of sets at RRP.
    ^ The times I have dealt with TRU customer service, in store or on the phone, they have been friendly and helpful.

Yup, there are things I don't like about TRU, but now and again I find a good deal there. Back last summer they had SW Battle Packs $9.99 (as an unadvertised special, I guess), with the discounts from being a Reward member and using their CC it was a great deal. Oh yeah, and I snagged a dozen Mirkwood mini-packs at TRU. I wanted to get all the had, but figured that would be selfish, so I didn't.
  • TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950
    edited April 2013
    TRU is a tough nut, because (other than Lego proper) they do have the widest range of sets, but you have to continually play their pricing/sale game, which has gotten much more difficult over the past year or so. Back in the day, 3-for-2 used to include just about everything, now there are exclusions, hidden and overt, and ever since Xmas 2011, their MSRP has been skyrocketing.

Hmm, I just realized I'm rambling and stating little more than what you probably already realize :)

Anyway, there are the occasional gems to be found, for example, the recent BOGO50 got me two Horizon Expresses for $105 each. That's hardly a fantastic deal, but it is a deal better than anywhere else on that set, so that was a win.
    ^ Yup, TRU has been discussed a lot, and to your point, we aren't saying anything new. I don't like that they mark LEGOS up so much, but they will charge what the market will bare. It would probably be the pot calling the kettle black if I complained, because I sold 20+ Minecrafts or $90+ each not long ago. And, just look at the JP prices right now.

It's a bit ironic, because I had 20% and 25% off TRU coupons a few weeks ago and after shopping didn't use either of them, because the coupons just brought the price down to RRP most of the time. Their marked up prices obviously work on some customers. Why? Don't ask me. But, their prices just cause me to shop other places instead. Even for TRU exclusive sets (like the Batman Funhouse), because I can still get it from LEGO.

Back to the point of this thread. The $15 off Minecraft 'deal'. All I could do was shake my head. It didn't work on me, but I'm sure it did on a lot of other customers. Gotta love the quote attributed to P.T. Barnum (which may have been said by a competitor) - There's a sucker born every minute.
  • binaryeyebinaryeye USMember Posts: 1,734
    cloaked7 said:

Their marked up prices obviously work on some customers. Why? Don't ask me.

Probably because the average consumer isn't the average AFOL and doesn't have the RRP of every current set committed to memory.

I imagine a good percentage of the people who shop at TRU (physical stores) are shopping with a budget in mind, not a specific toy in mind. In that regard, it doesn't matter how much a given set costs over RRP to the person buying it. It just means little Timmy might have gotten a larger set for his birthday if the person had shopped elsewhere.
  • dragonhawkdragonhawk USMember Posts: 633
    ^ Agreed. Plus not everyone can (or like to) devote hours on the internet looking for LEGO deals. However, most people can carve .5 to 1 hour from their day to visit a TRU b&m store and browse the selections. Also, if the items they intend to buy is out of stock or out of budget, they can shop for other types of toys at TRU.
  • tamamahmtamamahm Member Posts: 1,954

One doesn't have to have ever RRP commited to memory. If I'm going to buy something, though, I'm going to make sure I generally get the best deal. Yes, it really does matter to me that I'm spending X amount over retail. I have more than one kid, and bdays, Christmas, etc. adds up. I would expect the folks to be the most savvy with pricing would be AFOLs and then parents.

If I'm going to carve out .5 to 1 hour from my day, to waste my time and gas, then I'm sure going to know what the price is of the item I'm buying. It doesn't take hours on the internet to determine hey, X is cheaper at Target over Toys-R-Us.

Honestly, where I think Toys-R-Us gets away with it is from people that generally do not buy toys and those that do not shop.

A person that is just running in and out to get a present for their niece or nephew, is probably hitting Toys-R-Us, because they know it has toys, and they can quickly grab something or grab the present from a list the parents gave. There is a good chance that they are clueless about RRP.

A person that doesn't shop ever, may actually be very ignorant on pricing in general. I've seen that... where an individual doesn't shop and is clueless that something as simple as milk may highly vary in price between stores, let alone realizing a toy price might vary.

Plus, there is always the third category based on the old saying.
    A fool and his money is soon parted. Often a person sees 'sale' and just assumes they are getting a good deal. Tricks like Buy one and get one at 50% work, because 50% is a 'big' number, so hey, I must be saving a ton. Not everyone things through the reality that the most one is saving is 25% and then only if one is careful with their selection and only if the price is the same as other stores to start with.
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 18,020
    tamamahm said:

If I'm going to carve out .5 to 1 hour from my day, to waste my time and gas, then I'm sure going to know what the price is of the item I'm buying. It doesn't take hours on the internet to determine hey, X is cheaper at Target over Toys-R-Us.

Some people let their kids impulse buy. They take them to TRU and let them choose their present. They are the ones that pay over RRP.
    Pitfall69 said:

^^^This is at the least the second time I have read about unethical activities in the last month by the OP.

And what would the first one be? The fact that I returned an order of Lego that [email protected] accidentally sent me? How is that unethical behavior? I ended up getting VIP points taken away for the return that I had never been awarded in the first place so I lost out there...
    I've also done trades here or purchased for people and shipped for cost or at a loss because I have no desire to make money off of Lego, I like to help people out. All of my shipments have made it to destination. Not all of my trades have come through... And when I mentioned on a thread that I sold things at cost I had someone report me for spam...
    Regarding the Darth Mauls, I bought some things I just really didn't want for the price and I returned them. Did I purchase them knowing I was going to return? No. Did I return them thinking they would take them back and not request the Darth Mauls or take extra money off of the return? No. They didn't want the Darth Mauls back.
    There really are a lot of AHols here ...

margot said:

Pitfall69 said:

And what would the first one be? The fact that I returned an order of Lego that [email protected] accidentally sent me? How is that unethical behavior? I ended up getting VIP points taken away for the return that I had never been awarded in the first place so I lost out there...
    I've also done trades here or purchased for people and shipped for cost or at a loss because I have no desire to make money off of Lego, I like to help people out. All of my shipments have made it to destination. Not all of my trades have come through... And when I mentioned on a thread that I sold things at cost I had someone report me for spam...
    Regarding the Darth Mauls, I bought some things I just really didn't want for the price and I returned them. Did I purchase them knowing I was going to return? No. Did I return them thinking they would take them back and not request the Darth Mauls or take extra money off of the return? No. They didn't want the Darth Mauls back.
    There really are a lot of AHols here ...

@margot- I believe your original intention on those LEGO sets was to not return them. After some pushing by the community on these forums, you, from what you are saying, returned them. I never heard mention of you doing so, but it really is great to hear you did that. And naturally, VIP points would be deducted for a purchase that wasn't intentionally made. You did the right thing. Does the right thing always result in benefits? No, it does not. Usually, doing the right thing costs us more than the wrong thing. :o)

Regarding the mauls, you may have purchased all the items without the intention of returning them, however in the end... you did return them. What your first intentions were, has no weigh in on your final decision. Did you ask them if they wanted the Mauls back, or was it automatically assumed by you?
    ^Just another attempt to justify ones actions.
    madforLEGO
    I always go to TRU and buy a bunch of Lego sets during a promotion and when I get home I lay all the sets out and all of a sudden I get buyers remorse. OK.
    edited April 2013
    samiam391 said:

@margot- I believe your original intention on those LEGO sets was to not return them. After some pushing by the community on these forums, you, from what you are saying, returned them. I never heard mention of you doing so, but it really is great to hear you did that. And naturally, VIP points would be deducted for a purchase that wasn't intentionally made.

Wrong. But not worth explaining over again due to people like ^ I'm done with this forum. A few bad apples spoil the bunch.

margot said:

samiam391 said:

@margot- I believe your original intention on those LEGO sets was to not return them. After some pushing by the community on these forums, you, from what you are saying, returned them. I never heard mention of you doing so, but it really is great to hear you did that. And naturally, VIP points would be deducted for a purchase that wasn't intentionally made.

Wrong. But not worth explaining over again due to people like ^ I'm done with this forum. A few bad apples spoil the bunch.

@margot- No, need for you to be done with the forums. You don't have to agree with me, that's fine. I'm merely explaining my opinion. If we all agreed with each other, this forum would be really lame :o)
    edited April 2013
    ^^You are leaving because you were called out?

"If you leave now, help them you could; but you would destroy all for which they have fought, and suffered"
    jasor
  • MorkManMorkMan Phoenix, Arizona, USAMember Posts: 857
    People change their minds, find out they don't really have the funds, or just get buyer's remorse. It doesn't matter what the reason for a return is. If the OP bought items and changed their mind, so what? If TRU doesn't want the promos back, so what? Many times stores do not want the promos back, as the event is over. They don't want giveaway items lying around, the want them given away!
  • PhoneboothPhonebooth USMember Posts: 1,430
    MorkMan said:

People change their minds, find out they don't really have the funds, or just get buyer's remorse. It doesn't matter what the reason for a return is. If the OP bought items and changed their mind, so what? If TRU doesn't want the promos back, so what? Many times stores do not want the promos back, as the event is over. They don't want giveaway items lying around, the want them given away!

The issue in question was whether it was done maliciously. What happens when people purposely abuse the system? Promos go away. Discounts go away.

And, at the very worst if it was a bricksetter, we all get a bad rap.
  • CapnRex101CapnRex101 United KingdomAdministrator Posts: 2,280
    @Pitfall69 - Do you have a quotation for every occasion? Feel free to read that last sentence as though it rhymes, it sounds quite catchy that way I think :)
    Pardon my ignorance, but what is an 'OP'?
  • legogregorslegogregors Member Posts: 402
    Original Poster
  • Farmer_JohnFarmer_John USA - 4,035 Miles from 62 West Wallaby St., Wigan, Lancashire, UKMember Posts: 2,404
    edited April 2013
    I only go to TRU for polybags when they have a unique set, but the sets are usually all gone by the time I get there (9.5 times out of 10) as TRU allows individuals to clean them out (which is their prerogative). I am usually grumpy after spending gas money and dealing with traffic (amazingly, our TRU's customer service doesn't answer the phone) traveling to TRU only to find that they don't have what was advertised the day before. More often than not, I have tried to order polybags or other sets from TRU online only to have the order canceled because their online inventory system is a joke. So in my case, TRU typically only has the sets I can get from other places (Target, WalMart, Amazon, TLG), but at much higher RRPs.

All that said, there is a Target in the same shopping center as our TRU. If I happen to be at TRU and notice someone is shopping for a set that can be had for less at the Target next door, I point them in that direction (usually because I am in a state of frustration). Competition only serves a purpose if people know there's a competitor, and many who shop at TRU do not seem to know. It's sad when a company can only sell their Legos when they have a sale...
    ^^ @legogregors I really like your avatar. What in the world is that iron pumping green thing? It is the perfect avatar for @Pitfall69 :-) You may be able to sell him rights to use it for a nice profit. :-)
  • tamamahmtamamahm Member Posts: 1,954
    CCC said:

tamamahm said:

Some people let their kids impulse buy. They take them to TRU and let them choose their present. They are the ones that pay over RRP.
    I do agree with that. :-)

This is one area I do work hard on with my kiddos. My 6 year old desperately wanted me to take him to the store to buy Venom Vaporizer. I showed him how I could do that, or he could save $12 if I ordered it for him online. He could have it that day and pay more, or wait 3 days and save money. That was a very hard decision for a 6 year old. He made a good choice, but I was also prepared for him to make a $12 mistake in hopes that he would learn.

I suspect there are plenty that probably do not do that, though. Just as you stated...and if a child is at Toys-R-Us and spending bday money, then yeah, there is probably uninformed buying happening.
    edited April 2013
    In the latest 'R u for real' news: a LEGO BOGO40% is in effect, to which many of the sets are at least 20% over the rrp. I guess there many be some good deals (for sets not jacked up in prices) but not what I have seen so far.
    Oh and as usual Technic Chima and Lone Ranger are not included in the sale as wll as the 'hard to finds' like the Mods and apparently now the Horizon express.