Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

Toys R Us...R U For Real?

Comments

• JP3804JP3804 Member Posts: 332
    I guess they don't think we can do basic math.

I received a get them before they're gone e-mail from them yesterday.

9472 was listed @ $39.99

This morning it's listed @ $79.99
  • mrseatlemrseatle Member Posts: 410
    I know they lose a lot due to theft, and damaged product from kids playing in the store. So maybe that's why the prices are so high...?
  • tamamahmtamamahm Member Posts: 1,937
    Do you really see a ton of damaged product in the store??

Honestly, I have almost never seen a really damaged Lego product. The one damaged product I have seen in the past 10 years.. huge atlantis set at 1/2 off, it was 1/2 off because they were being clearanced out, and not due to damage. All the pieces were in the box, despite it being opened, and I was happy to buy it. :-) That was at Target. I think I've seen a few smashed corners of boxes, but that is not from kids playing. I've never seen an open Lego box at Toys-R-Us in the past 10 years.

I think back to Toys-R-Us when I was a kid... a week or two before Christmas. One could not find a single item that had not been opened, and did not have pieces lost. Even as a kid, I thought it was really bad.

• DougoutDougout Member Posts: 888
    ^I don't know about damaged product, but those sensors they wrap around the big sets sure do squeeze into the boxing an awful lot. I think the tension has caused some creasing/bending even in some cases.

That's funny the way you describe things when you were a kid. I remember going through the video game isle and seeing boxes upon boxes that were opened and ransacked.
  • DoubleDDoubleD Oklahoma, USAMember Posts: 488
    I heard CNN said that in California that they were going to let people sue companies who advertise sales then jack the prices up
    margotMathBuilderDougoutFollowsClosely
    tamamahm said:

Do you really see a ton of damaged product in the store??

Oh yeah, especially on Saturday and Sunday. The Store I frequent the most is next to a Chinese Buffet and huge packs of mexican families walk across the parking lot and let their kids roam free in the store. Also they leave their dirty styrofoam ice cream cups from the buffet littered around the store. There are multiple toys littered on the ground in every isle. They are pulling stuff from boxes and letting the kids try them left and right. Employees dont seem to be able to keep up with the chaos there...

at that location, I have personally discoved lego sets on the shelf (that must have been returned) with seals broken but retaped, missing the legos but other less valuable toys substituted, and other sets with the minifigures missing and bags expertly re-sealed.

Forgot to add that i have found many empty lego boxes and dozens of empty or just torn open collectible minifig packages on the shelves. I guess i do poke around more than most guests, but i like to look for stuff others have hidden... I recently found a Walking Dead series 1 bloody rick figure hidden in the Spider Man Section. Sold it on ebay for $180...

Awhile back I saw a lady open a small city pack and stuff the contents into a ninjago fire mech box. Some time before that I saw another lady putting Hello Kitty stuff in her purse.
  • BanditBandit Member Posts: 890
    mrseatle said:

Oh yeah, especially on Saturday and Sunday. The Store I frequent the most is next to a Chinese Buffet and huge packs of mexican families walk across the parking lot and let their kids roam free in the store.

I've never been the least bit PC, but the 'huge packs of Mexican families' comment was completely bigoted and uncalled for.
    MathBuildermargotbinaryeyelangRedbullgivesuwind
  • ludzikludzik US (SoCal)Member Posts: 430
    Bandit said:

mrseatle said:

Oh yeah, especially on Saturday and Sunday. The Store I frequent the most is next to a Chinese Buffet and huge packs of mexican families walk across the parking lot and let their kids roam free in the store.

I've never been the least bit PC, but the 'huge packs of Mexican families' comment was completely bigoted and uncalled for.
    I don't wanna get into the PC and non PC commentaries but sadly while poking around various stores the biggest amount of damage to toy section does seem to come from them...... TJMaxx/Marshalls/Ross - where you can find some great deals at in the toy sections - it seems that while moms and dads are shopping for great deals within the clothing sections, the kids... well, they entertain themselves by ripping appart toy boxes and playing with them, and often pocketing the toys. I have caught some of them (ok, sighted and then sic'ed L&P on them). PC is one thing.... reality sadly is another thing..... I live in SoCal with a huge Mexican population and a huge Vietnamese population and well, the Vietnamese kids seem to be better behaved and respectful of stuff....... but hey, you can call me a bigot and a racist... I just call 'em as I see 'em though....
    ACWWGal2011GoldfreekDougoutLegoFanTexasluciancloaked7
  • BanditBandit Member Posts: 890
    ludzik said:

...... but hey, you can call me a bigot and a racist... I just call 'em as I see 'em though....

Pathetic.
    Redbullgivesuwind
  • MathBuilderMathBuilder Member Posts: 150
    edited May 2013
    ludzik:
    PC (Political correctness) is one thing.... facts are another thing.
    And the fact here is that you have no facts. You do not know the people/children that you are labeling. You do not work at TRUs and have not been there 24/7 with a video camera investigating all the damage/thefts and then asking the perpetrators what was their birthplace/roots. So all your statements are merely based in what you suppose. Likely, other kids of other ethnicity have caused damage but you "just didn't see'em" and as likely as not the people you label as Mexican were from other South American origin. You are entitled to believe as you may. But what is the point of stating your racist opinions in a LEGO forum?
    Banditroxiolegofeet
  • HokieJoe99HokieJoe99 Member Posts: 348
    Darn, I thought we were going to have some good old fashioned complaining about Toys R Us when I saw 7 new comments.
    Pitfall69jasor
  • iancam33iancam33 Member Posts: 407
    Sorry Hokiejoe99. oh, wait. How about this. I went to TRU yesterday and they didn't have all the promo sets in stock(the ones you get when you spend X amount of money). Bastards. Needless to say I did not buy anything. Did that wet your whistle?
    roxio
  • ludzikludzik US (SoCal)Member Posts: 430

But what is the point of stating your racist opinions in a LEGO forum?

I think you're missing the point of my post..... My post was there to state that I call things as I see them (Btw, I wasn't the original poster of this side topic) based on my observations. That does not make my opinion a racist opinion. My opinion is based on data which is observation..... If I said "all Mexican children are ..... " that would be going down the racist path....

Also you do not know what I do for a living, how am I exposed to street crime and what is my understanding of it.... I might know more than I'm willing to share ;)
    DougoutLegoFanTexascloaked7
    The sign on the door says "No outside food or drink" yet management there seems reluctant to enforce it. There are ice cream cups all over the place after dinner, some of them spilling onto products...
    On a positive note, there were plenty of cases and Gauntlet sets for the "buy $75 give away".
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,339
    I do like the sidebars as long as they don't get too crazy.

I have had good experiences at my TRU. I even had an employee hit on me. I'm like "Aren't you on your lunch break?" She was pretty obvious. It hasn't helped me find Mr. Gold though ;)
    Dougout
  • piratemania7piratemania7 New EnglandMember Posts: 2,029
    Pitfall69 said:

I do like the sidebars as long as they don't get too crazy.

I have had good experiences at my TRU. I even had an employee hit on me. I'm like "Aren't you on your lunch break?" She was pretty obvious. It hasn't helped me find Mr. Gold though ;)

haha and arent you married with kids?

• piratemania7piratemania7 New EnglandMember Posts: 2,029
    Basically, I think this. TRU is one of the last sort of "stand alone focused on a single commodity type store". Now, this is not scientific by any means but take a look at places like blockbuster that have closed up shop.

Point being here, what happens is this company's sole focus is on selling toys. They undoubtedly go through dry spells, and then of course the holidays greatly make up for it.

But lets say you have a 99.99 set. You think TLG is steeply discounting it to TRU? Nah, and so they have to turn a profit! So they do jack up the prices somewhat but it is us as the consumer that decides to wallow in and buy something.

The other day it was really put into perspective for me, I saw the new castle line was released. The 11.99 set was 12.99, but with a coupon I said 10.91. Still though, to get my hands on it before even TLG releases it? Thats awesome! So I am sure TRU knows this and can increase their prices somewhat.

At the end of the day though its about patience...
  • margotmargot Member Posts: 2,310
    oldtodd33 said:

Still looking for the stupid Lone Ranger poly's they've never had.

I keep doing that too...

• LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409
    oldtodd33 said:

I quietly leaned over to her and told her to go to Target or Super Walmart as they had them for 95.00. She was very surprised at the price difference and then thanked me for letting her know and promptly left.

While that is nice of you, in fairness, it takes 5 seconds to price compare these days, anyone still buying stuff at TRU in 2013... isn't trying very hard...

I love buying from Amazon, but about twice a year I price check a random sample of items I buy often to make sure they aren't price creeping...
  • DougoutDougout Member Posts: 888
    ^I have no idea why someone would make TRU their first stop. Some people act so preoccupied with whatever else they are doing to care enough about saving $50. I give shopping/sale advice to certain customers that seem savvy enough, but more often than not I watch people buy overpriced sets after I've already told them they can get stuff cheaper. They sure have made consumers dumb in this country. I'm in Mass where people aren't even dumb necessarily, they are just too lazy to care. Oh well, I guess that's good for the resellers. :)
  • legogallegogal USMember Posts: 755
    I have noticed the large number of opened and ransacked LEGO boxes lately, too. TRU has a few, but a Walmart I passed through this afternoon had about a quarter of the boxes torn open. Not sure what was missing inside, but I would guess that it was minifigs for the most part.

When you have so few employees left in a store, there is no way they can watch or stop torn boxes and theft even if they have security cameras. It is sad that much of it is done by kids with parents, who are not watching or maybe are telling the kids what to steal.

So it seems that we will have to check the boxes in these stores before buying, or open them at the counter before leaving the store to make sure that the parts are there. What a pain!

I have told many TRU shoppers about cheaper prices for the same product in nearby stores, and many still seem to buy the item from TRU. I think that they just are overloaded and can't stand the thought of taking kids into another store. And traffic is hell in many shopping centers. And they are so rushed for time that another stop is not possible. Also other stores may be out of the product, and they need it today for a gift, etc. So it is understandable why paying more for a set is preferable to going elsewhere to look for it.
    Toys R US matches the prices of their competitors...
  • legogallegogal USMember Posts: 755
    Wow! Not in the Raleigh area. That is my beef with them...at least one of my problems with TRU.
    Which TRU have you seen pice match? Thanks!
  • cloaked7cloaked7 Member Posts: 1,448
    edited August 2013
    Pitfall69 said:

I have had good experiences at my TRU. I even had an employee hit on me.

I never believed them, but had heard rumors that Jar Jar was a babe magnet. I guess this proves it! :-) Must be his accent. Or, maybe the big ears? I've heard rumors about those too, but I digress.

Pitfall69
  • jadeirenejadeirene US, CaliforniaMember Posts: 475
    mrseatle said:

Toys R US matches the prices of their competitors...

No, they don't. They claim to price match, but I've had almost every request to price match denied for some bogus reason or another.

-I've asked to price match websites, and had them all denied, even prices from toysrus.com.
    -I've brought in a receipt from another store and had the price match denied since it isn't a printed ad.
    -I've taken pictures of the price tags of sale items (and sometimes even regular price) at other stores and had the price match denied since it isn't a printed ad.
    -I've brought in the LEGO catalog and tried to price match the MSRP price and had it denied at first because they said it had to be an ad from a B&M store.
    -When I told them I got the catalog from the LEGO store a mile down the street, they denied the price match since it wasn't Walmart or Target. They apparently don't even have a button to press to price match any stores other than Walmart and Target.
    -I've brought in printed ads from Walmart and Target and had price matches denied since TRU claimed that they were misprints, even though Walmart/Target was honoring the prices.

TRU's "price match guarantee" is just a marketing gimmick that they will use any excuse to try to keep from following through on.

Yellowcastlecloaked7Bumblepantsyys4ulang
    ^ This...
  • BoiseStateBoiseState Member Posts: 804
    I've never had those problems.. If it's in an up to date add from a Walmart/Target/Fred Meyer/etc. they've always matched for me.
    Never had a price match problem in the Houston TX area, and they price match off the TRU website, Amazon and many others. Just ask for a manager if the cashier says no. All else fails, call 1800 toysrus and complain.

Usually have to show the website on my smart phone. But they can look it up at customer service.
  • BoiseStateBoiseState Member Posts: 804
    There are plenty of stores that sell Lego. If I don't like a place, I shop elsewhere.
  • cloaked7cloaked7 Member Posts: 1,448
    I get bummed out at TRU too, but the staff at my store has always been nice and reasonable about things. Any store, whether it be TRU or some other place, is often as good, or as bad, as the management that runs it. Same for restaurants. Take a fast food chain. Most all of them have clean locations, and not so clean ones. So, what gives? A lot of that is determined by who runs it. My guess is that TRU stores are much the same.
  • yys4uyys4u USA SoCalMember Posts: 1,092
    Went into TRU to get the Daily Bugle set I've had my eyes on for some time. Brought in my LEGO Catalog to price match and in the store I realized the set wasn't in this issue! Luckily an employee overheard talking to my girlfriend about price matching and they said they can price match online now.

So I find out TRU.com had the set $45 so I had them price match to that, I then intended to use my $10 Gift Card from a TRU promotion not too long ago, but realized the card expired on the 2nd! What kind of gift cards expire?!? Damn you TRU... I had the employee throw away the card since it was garbage, but now I think I should have saved it and called the 1800 number to complain....
  • oldtodd33oldtodd33 Denver 4800 miles to BillundMember Posts: 2,395
    ^ I always keep the old card and destroy it myself just for my own piece of mind in case they were lying to me to get the unused balance from it. You might take an old one to another cashier for a second opinion.
    scan the card at any price check box, to get the balance info.
  • oldtodd33oldtodd33 Denver 4800 miles to BillundMember Posts: 2,395
    ^ That's handy to know. Too bad it doesn't work that way for all of them!
  • Thanos75Thanos75 Member Posts: 1,117
    I felt like I was in the twilight zone this evening. I went to a Toys R Us that I have never been to before. I walked in and they had a big clearance table set up for the big 80% off sale. The table only had about 6 things on it...but the one that stood out was the lone LEGO set. I found a #8185 Ferrari Truck for $26.90...lol. Box is in great shape except for the big red clearance sticker. Once I got over the shock and actually started exploring the store I found the craziest sets sitting on the shelves like they were when they were just released. They had a Whitecap bay set. Box all busted up to where you could actually see the bags inside and still wrapped in one of those security things with a nice $89.99 price tag on it. They still had stacks of the PoP classic ostrich race and piles of the Alien Mothership. I even saw 4 Mill Village Raid sets...all still at full price. I did my AFOL duty and asked the manager about the older sets and if there was any wiggle room if I offer to take a pile or two off of his hands and I got the "Nope...whatever the sticker says is what they are"...So that museum of a LEGO isle shall sit untouched for another 3 years.
    Yellowcastleprevere
  • SquareSideSquareSide Member Posts: 170
    Wow, that's pretty crazy Thanos, nice find tho.
  • Thanos75Thanos75 Member Posts: 1,117
    They had other older sets sitting on the shelves aswell......like some Dino sets and city sets and some older Star Wars sets. I am not up to date on reselling prices so I dont know if any of them are worth buying at TRU prices just for resale.That store literally has 4 LEGO isles.
  • starfire2starfire2 Phoenix AZMember Posts: 1,289
    I on the other hand had an awesome experience with TRU today. Last night I bought #75025 for $89.99 RRP, and this morning in my email box was a coupon for 15% off. I went back in and they adjusted my receipt. So, I got it for $76.49 before tax. Awesome!! And super friendly Customer Service!!
  • klatu003klatu003 Hobbiton, Shire, Middle EarthMember Posts: 719
    There is a regional shopping area in Arizona with every chain known to AFOL's within a mile or two. The TRU is across the street from a mall with a Lego store. While in TRU with a coupon or some other means to correct the price, I have pointed out to individuals that the expensive item they have in their hands is cheaper at the Lego Store across the street. Reactions vary from thanks to the "mind your own business lady" look. TRU does have the convenience factor for busy people. Getting "across the street" and parking and getting through the mall probably takes another half hour, maybe an hour with three little kids in tow.
    Pitfall69LegoFanTexas
    ^ yea, saving $10 just isn't worth another half hour with kids many times. :)
    Pitfall69FollowsClosely
  • YellowcastleYellowcastle Member Posts: 4,401
    ^ ...at a water park.... ;o)
    y2joshFollowsClosely
  • YellowcastleYellowcastle Member Posts: 4,401
    Well, I couldn't get the extra15 to load on any lego. I have gift cards to burn through but I refuse to use them without some kind of deal. And it is starting to appear that LegoDirect sets are going to be off limits for promotions indefinitely going forward. :o(
  • CrowkillersCrowkillers Member Posts: 757
    Couldn't decide what sets to pick up with the 15% since everything is already jacked up so instead I used the 15% and snatched up 2 Masterpiece Soundwave sets today... Total with tax $216.. :)
  • BrickDancerBrickDancer Dunes of TatooineMember Posts: 3,639
    @Crowkillers Did you pick them up in-store? They're sold out all around me.
  • CrowkillersCrowkillers Member Posts: 757
    edited August 2013

@Crowkillers Did you pick them up in-store? They're sold out all around me.

Yeah.. I wanted to order them online, but I guess that they don't allow you to do that... I was fairly surprised to find 2 of them in my local store since I had been reading that they were sold out almost everywhere... Then I drove to Altoona's Toys R Us(about 40 miles away) and the had 2 more of them... One of the employees said that they had just put them out and they only get 2 in at a time...

I probably shouldn't even start getting involved with this new stuff, but I couldn't resist...

• BrickDancerBrickDancer Dunes of TatooineMember Posts: 3,639
    ^Nice! Thanks for the info. Hope I'll run into a couple myself then. And yes, I shouldn't be starting on these either but Soundwave looks too good to pass up.