Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

biggest ever mark-up on ebay?

brickingbricking LAMember Posts: 57
edited October 2011 in Buying & Selling Topics
Someone has their whole lego town on sale for $2100 ($2400 buy now)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lego-City-Complete-Train-Set-and-Instruction-Booklets-/280755259019
But when I totted it up on bricklink i make it $610. Granted that was just the sets but that's a lot of roads & trees you could buy with the change!

Comments

• EricEric Queensland, AustraliaMember Posts: 376
    ^^ If I were in the market for a complete city like that, I'd pay a little bit extra for the convenience of getting everything in one hit, but not that much more.
    ^ ah, He's lowered the asking the price. $1500 now.
  • LambringoLambringo Member Posts: 104
    But if you purchase it, at least you know a fire will never get out of control in your city
  • RedbullgivesuwindRedbullgivesuwind Brickset's Secret HeadquatersMember Posts: 1,692
    yeah appears no one lives there either just the police, fire and medical departments and criminals. Not sure what they are stealling then or who the hell from
  • drdavewatforddrdavewatford Hertfordshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,218
    Set 7779 Batman Dragster : Catwoman Pursuit had an RRP of £7.99 when it was available at retail in 2006. They could barely give these sets away, and many people got multiples for a couple of pounds.

Complete examples with box now regularly sell for 10 times the RRP on eBay - a 900% increase - or more, particularly when they're MISB. Other Batman sets have also increased in value, but none more so than 7779 I suspect.
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,172
    ^^ If I were in the market for a complete city like that, I'd pay a little bit extra for the convenience of getting everything in one hit, but not that much more.
    ^ ah, He's lowered the asking the price. $1500 now.
    At a huge markup with no boxes? not that desperate.. also the only thing really rare there is the 4559 train, and that is not that rare either...

Someone has their whole lego town on sale for $2100 ($2400 buy now)
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lego-City-Complete-Train-Set-and-Instruction-Booklets-/280755259019
    But when I totted it up on bricklink i make it $610. Granted that was just the sets but that's a lot of roads & trees you could buy with the change!
    $610? Try $400-$50 with the plates and other miscellanious, maybe 610 if all the boxes were there
    I've seen a Café Corner at $1950...

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/LEGO-Exclusive-10182-Cafe-Corner-BRAND-NEW-SEALED-BOX-MINT-CONDITION-/220867257492?pt=AU_LEGO&hash=item336cb6e494
    Thats absurb... it will take at least 2-3 more years to get to that amount.....lol
  • brickingbricking LAMember Posts: 57
    edited October 2011
    ^^ I used a few criteria:
    •100% complete (but not worried about box or instructions)
    •if the cheapest was in US that's the price I used
    •if the cheapest was in EU then I would compare with cheapest US & factor in about $10 handicap for shipping.

I'm not saying you couldn't get it cheaper but those are the prices on bricklink right now. Shipping from separate vendors is going to add around $200 & you still won't have boxes.

Another, much quicker but less accurate, exercise is to take the average set price from the data on the brickset homepage ($26) and times by the number of sets on offer (28) gives $728.

My first impression looking at ebay was that it could be good value, so I was surprised to see how overvalued it was. But that's how we get a 'feel' for these things.
    ^--- Understood.. I used the eBay method, which is usually the quicker way to sell and value sets if they were to be resold..
    Whether 410-610 it is way too much that they are asking though :-)