Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Best value sets

I am looking just buying some Lego sets and using the pieces to build MOCs. I was wondering if anyone had any advice on which sets are the best value for money based on the number and variety of pieces in them.

Comments

• TLGTLG Member Posts: 125
    Nothing licensed for sure, I don't know of any thing of exceptional value right now, but the new "classic" line looks promising. Also, try the creator line, that have performed well in regards to value since their creation. Also, look for sales and if you want, buy used job lots if you are okay with it. Questions like this have been discussed in length in other threads, so I recommend searching and looking at those:)
  • mrbradfordmrbradford Fort Worth, Texas, USAMember Posts: 45
    This link shows the best value per piece for currently available sets using the RRP. http://brickset.com/sets/query-47
    Bumblepants
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 18,243
    edited February 2015
    It totally depends on what you want to build. Creative buckets are useless if you want to build castles, for example, unless you want them to be BOLOCs.

In some cases licensed sets are great for moc builders. If you get a discount on them and then sell the mimifigs, you can often recoup the entire cost of the set. I got numerous free lotr and hobbit sets (minus the minifigs) that way.
    dougts
  • wayneggwaynegg Texas,USAMember Posts: 394

This link shows the best value per piece for currently available sets using the RRP. http://brickset.com/sets/query-47

I'm surprised Simpson's House isn't on that list. $200 for 2523 pieces should put it in the 7th position while the usefulness of the pieces makes it a solid fourth if not third.
  • scrumperscrumper UKMember Posts: 323
    The Simpson's House is on the list, it's 30th. It's not someone's opinion, it is a list of currently available sets in order of price per piece (US).
  • wayneggwaynegg Texas,USAMember Posts: 394
    edited February 2015
    Odd, it must be directing me else wise because when I click the link I get The Ghost in the 30th slot which comes in at nearly 10 cents per piece instead of the just under 8 cents Per for Simpson's House. In order, I get

PR
    DO
    Battle Droid Troop Carrier
    Double Decker Couch
    Trash Chomper
    Ezra's Speeder Bike
    Battle on Saluecami
    AT-DP
    Doc Ock Truck Heist
    Emmet's Constructomech
    Metalbeard's Duel
    Flying Flusher
    Fairground Mixer
    Batman and SAK
    VW T1
    Sandcrawler
    Sea Cow
    Imperial Troop Transport
    AV-7
    Knowhere
    Mini Cooper
    SSDS
    MTT
    Lord Buisness's Lair
    Republic Gunship
    Bad Cop Pursuit
    Batman Penguin Faceoff
    Grievous's Wheelbike
    AT-AT
    The Ghost

No SH.
  • monkeymonkey Member Posts: 235

Not sure this list is correct at all, London tower bridge is cheaper ppp than PR (5.6c v 6.5c)
  • ShibShib UKMember Posts: 5,262
    is the query perhaps being thrown off by incomplete parts lists?
  • scrumperscrumper UKMember Posts: 323
    Possibly because Tower Bridge is oos so not currently available in US.
  • monkeymonkey Member Posts: 235
    scrumper said:

Possibly because Tower Bridge is oos so not currently available in US.

I thought since the list is brickset-based, Tower Bridge shows there as available in the US.
  • AdzbadboyAdzbadboy London, UKMember Posts: 2,626
    I would say buy a set or theme that relates to what MOC's you want to build. For example I'm building Classic Space MOC's so I got Benny's Spaceship and Exo-Suit. This is because these sets have the key and most useful and usable parts for Classic Space builds and you will find a very small amount of pieces you may need to purchase from Pick A Brick or Bricklink. If you have LDD files and you want to build them the best option would be to buy the parts off Pick A Brick, Bricklink or Brickowl. In most cases you would only purchase a set if you need the majority of the parts.
  • TarDomoTarDomo FinlandMember Posts: 515
    I think that the set has great value if
    1. I like it
    2. It´s cheap
    So I hardly ever think about price per piece. For a nice set I can pay more and for a stupid set I don´t want to pay anything even if it had great price per piece.
    To me Sandcrawler and Ewok Village are great value for money.