Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

8043 Motorized Excavator Service Pack

freefallerfreefaller Member Posts: 6
edited October 2011 in Collecting
Hi all,
I've just bought a 8043 Motorized Excavator, and only now have I read the comments about the "recall" and "service pack"... a bit of a dampener when I was so looking forward to the build.
Did they re-release the set with the new parts - and if so, how can I tell if my pack contains the new parts (the box still says "8043" and not "8043-1" on the Brickset description)?
If not, how can I get hold of the new parts?
Cheers,
Tom

Comments

• LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,837
    Hiya. If you ahev bought from a major retailer such as Argos, TRU or [email protected], the chances are it will be a 'revised' version. On mine, all three of them in fact had a green sticker on the side - presumable to indicate it was a 'checked' or 'good' version.

If you have now opened the set, you can information online that show you what code is to be found on the actuators of the new and old versions.

Either way, a call to TLG an a request for service pack will be all that's required.
  • Si_UKNZSi_UKNZ NZMember Posts: 4,179
    ^^ Hadn't heard of this before, where did you read about the recall?
  • freefallerfreefaller Member Posts: 6
    Hi flump6523, thanks for the response.

It was bought privately through an eBay seller (brand new, not opened)... but there isn't any indication on the box (sticker or otherwise) to suggest it's a modified kit.

However, I've managed to find this page...
    http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=46993

The LA's have 4638508 on the bag, and 46X0 stamped under the drive input... so unless anybody knows better, I have to presume (using information from the above site) that the doesn't need a service pack.
    Yes, thanks both for the info. Mine's still MSIB - Ive emailed Lego and asked them what to do, will let you know what they say.
    @freefaller - I was looking for that link yesterday but couldn't find it anywhere. Yes, my understandng is you are good to go as was I - didn't prevent me requesting a service pack from LEGO though, just in case one day......!

@Si_Dorking_Surrey_UK - I recall during my telephone conversation with TLG last year, the CS lady made an off-the-cuff comment that there were many many people that had phoned up despite having a good set demanding a service pack. I got lucky I guess, but given yours is MISB, I'd phone up making out you have a First Edition.
    I picked it up in the Argos sales last Christmas, so it's very possible it _is_ a first edition.
    ^ My three also at Xmas. Mine had a green sticker on the side of each box - near damn impossible to remove. I was told by TLG that since the issue was picked up late summer and the service packs were released in October, given the high turnover of stock through Argos (especially running up to Xmas), it was near damn impossible for them to still have stock of the first editions. Still, irrespective it doesn't hurt to ask TLG for a pack.
    I actually spoke to CS at TLG, and they didn't even register the existence of a service pack for the 8043 - so it was either a bluff, or the pack is no longer available... who knows. Anyway, I guess it's got the new parts, so fingers crossed I'm good to go.

@flump6523 - thanks for your help, and here's to a very enjoyable / wasted (delete as applicable based on whether you're my girlfriend or not) upcoming weekend... can't wait! :-)
    @freefaller - The service pack doesn't only attend to the under spec'ed actuators, but also something to do wth the the left hand track I think - it's been a while!

http://technicbricks.blogspot.com/2010/09/most-waited-service-pack.html

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=4768096

Again, this update was carried across to the 'second edition', so if your 'complete' instruction manual matches that of the revised insert pages I've attached here, then you have the updated Second Edition model.

@flump6523 - hmmm, no, my manual does not have those amended pages (I should have looked before, my mistake). I think another call to TLG is beckoning
    Took a bit of persuasion, but they finally admitted that there was a service pack for the original fault, so they're sending me one. Apparently they have a bit of a backlog in the warehouse at the moment, so it's going to be best part of two weeks before I get it. :-(

I was going to start the build this weekend, but (according to http://www.brickset.com/news/article/?ID=919) the fix for the gears required almost a complete re-build, so probably best if I wait (not that I think I have that much will power). Gutted.
    edited October 2011
    Hehe... I should really be working (I'm self employed, so it's only myself I'm hurting!), but this is just too much fun for a middle-aged kid like me.

I'm now pretty sure that I really do have the revised version of the kit.

On closer inspection, pages 41 and 45 (instructions 33/35) of my instruction book have exactly the same instructions and parts as the photos you provided @flump6523. However, they are simply laid out differently on the page... that was where I was getting confused.

I have just loaded up the original instruction PDF (http://cache.lego.com/bigdownloads/buildinginstructions/4597873.pdf) and compared it to the new PDF (http://cache.lego.com/bigdownloads/buildinginstructions/4638641.pdf), and it is clear which parts are new, and that the extra steps required for the build are certainly there.

So after all that... the build is back on... and I shall leave you all in peace. ;-)

(Oh, and I can look forward to some unnecessary spare parts turning up in a couple of weeks!)

Cheers,
    Tom