Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Excel Part Lists?

As I start to consider brick linking some larger sets, I have to wonder- do Excel checklists exist for sets? I am thinking just a list for any large set with the part nunbers and quantity required.

Apologies if this is common knowledge....

Comments

• madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,500
    I do not think so but I typically make excel lists of the sets I BL, or if I am bricklink-ing a specific build of a set (like the #7747 Wind turbines).
  • ColoradoBricksColoradoBricks Denver, CO, USAMember Posts: 1,642
    @LegoTT , you can easily import a bricklink inventory, either directly into your BL wanted list or into BrickStock. if you are doing any changes/substitutions, etc, BrickStock is the way to go.
  • luckyrussluckyruss UKMember Posts: 872
    If you go to bricklink, click the catalog tab, and then the downloads tab, you can then type in the set number (remembering. -1, -2 etc) in the right hand section and download a data file with part numbers, quantities.

If you load this into excel you need to check through the "alternate" and "spare" parts columns (sometimes a good time to check which is cheapest). It also has the lego numerical colour code so if you want that easier to follow you need to map it across (eg 1 is white, 5 is red, 7 is blue, ...). The IDs are all set out under the "colours" tab in the bricklink catalog.
    madforLEGO
  • 3stackshs3stackshs Member Posts: 299
    Here is one I created as I am getting ready to do Green Grocer. Turns Green on the right if I have that part, red with the number needed if I don't have enough. It has all of the costs for parts available from PAB and B&P already loaded in. This is just a screen shot but if Im allowed to upload the spreadsheet I will.
  • LegoTTLegoTT Member Posts: 479
    Nice! What's your total cost to build the GG? I think I'm going to go this route for the Town Hall- the prices are insane, and I don't mind having a clone.
    Haven't calculated yet as it will prob be a little bit before I start buying. Total is 345 right now just PAB and B&P parts. Haven't added prices for rare pieces yet.
  • MathiasMathias United StatesMember Posts: 94
    I don't know about excel but I just go to rebrickable.com. You can look up a set and it lists out all the parts and quantities. I think it even has links to bricklink stores with the inventory.
  • bobabricksbobabricks Vancouver, BC, CanadaMember Posts: 1,839
    I did a part out on BrickLink for the GG (used parts, last 6 months sales price) and it came up with $679.39. I'm sure it could be done cheaper as these are average pieces, not cheapest.
  • MorkManMorkMan Phoenix, Arizona, USAMember Posts: 861
    @3stackshs where are you getting the costs for BL and PAB? Are they in another sheet or are you pulling it 'live' from somewhere? Also, how do you find the best BL store for purchases? Are you using the BL Cost Minimizer program that was created by a BrickSet user (can't remember his name)? I find it hardest to keep track of store costs and then pick the one BL store with the most bricks I want and the best prices. On top of that I find it difficult to track what BL store I bought what at when I do buy from multiple stores. Does your Excel document track orders by store?
    Thanks again to everyone- I've started brick linking my Town Hall. I'll report back when I am finished on the cost of everything. I'm tracking it all in Excel and through the BrickLink Want List tool.

Not sure if there's a tool that shows your BrickLink Want list with the cheapest BrickLink store for each given piece or not...would be awesome to pivot that up and then find the reseller with the most cheapest parts on your want list to make orders. Doing it manually does make for a fun search game, though!
    MorkMan said:

@3stackshs where are you getting the costs for BL and PAB? Are they in another sheet or are you pulling it 'live' from somewhere? Also, how do you find the best BL store for purchases? Are you using the BL Cost Minimizer program that was created by a BrickSet user (can't remember his name)? I find it hardest to keep track of store costs and then pick the one BL store with the most bricks I want and the best prices. On top of that I find it difficult to track what BL store I bought what at when I do buy from multiple stores. Does your Excel document track orders by store?

Right now everything is done manually. I'm trying to figure out a good method for determining cheapest cost shipping included. I know VBA and can program in excel but just don't know what I want to do

All of these resources were great- but I ultimately found a used complete Town Hall for $325 shipped and went that route instead. I was going to be cutting corners on minifigs, the box, and instructions to get the BrickLink cost under $300. I think I made the right decision, as long as the thing is in decent shape! I'm excited to build it- it's the modular that got me back into Lego (I noticed it online just after it went EOL and wasn't able to get it)
    snowhitie