Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Lego On TV programmes

Comments

• AstrobricksAstrobricks Minnesota, USMember Posts: 5,385
       Was watching Corner Gas on Amazon last night. Half hour Canadian comedy series that is really great! Season 3 episode 15 has a good portion of the show involving Lego...don't want to spoil it.
    Corner Gas is great. But it only plays using the IMDB app, even if you start it from Prime, and the IMDB app sucks :-/
    Marshallmario
  • blokey9blokey9 MelbourneMember Posts: 237
    there is a full size Lego Mclaren F1 on display at the Melbourne GP this weekend.
  • MaffyDMaffyD West YorkshireMember Posts: 3,452
    I can't believe it's in this kind of show, but The Boys, season 3 episode 2 has a nice little stop motion Lego video in it.

It also has a metric ton of violence and you'd have to get through episode 1 to understand the context, (which has possibly the most horrific/disgusting injury/death in it ever put on TV) but if you know the series you'll know what I mean.
    pxchris
    yes, they seem to be trying to outdo themselves every season.
    Also, I think Lego featured on an earlier episode, so it's nice that they're being consistent.
  • Sethro3Sethro3 United StatesMember Posts: 969
    I mean, it was a kid that made the video, so it makes sense that the target audience was using LEGO in a way that calmed them.

Great show, but horrifically violent and not for the faint of heart by any means. 
    Not a tv program, but in the Godzilla music video by Eminem, he vomits up LEGO bricks, so that's something...
  • datsunrobbiedatsunrobbie West Haven , CTMember Posts: 1,802
    America's Funniest Videos Season 32 Episode 21 start at 31:15. 

Warning, this video contains content that some viewers may find disturbing. Especially if they own modulars.

Watch America's Funniest Home Videos Season 32 Episode 21 Kids' Bad Excuses, Musical Bloopers, and the $100,000 competition Online (abc.com)
  • pxchrispxchris Oregon, USAMember Posts: 2,245
    A clue on last night's episode of Jeopardy.

vanvonfullrd1899560HeliportCymbelineMarshallmarioFizyx
  • GrannyLEGOGrannyLEGO FloridaMember Posts: 350
    pxchris said:
    A clue on last night's episode of Jeopardy.

My hubby looked at me like I was crazy as I shouted LEGO LEGO LEGO real loud as if the players could hear me!
    Cymbeline560HeliportMarshallmarioAstrobrickspxchrisFizyx
  • CymbelineCymbeline CanadaMember Posts: 541
    WRONG! The answer is "What is LEGO"! 😏
    560HeliportAstrobrickspxchrisFizyxgmonkey76Mr_Cross
  • Speedman29Speedman29 UKMember Posts: 2,246
    Not quite TV, but a tech webinar I was on just now.....

560Heliportpxchris
    Mentioned on the Stranger Things finale... no spoilers, but the plural is used, and it was a tweezer incident...
    On the latest episode of What We Do in the Shadows, young Colin starts a Lego YouTube channel. He’s really into knolling.

Jern92
    ^ Who isn't?
    FizyxAstrobricks
    Adam Richman hosted a show called Modern Marvels. One of the episode was on toys and there was a brief mention of Lego.
  • BrickchapBrickchap AustraliaMember Posts: 1,101
    What a cool thread! Thanks for starting this.

One of my favorite Lego features is in a couple of episodes of the BBC crime show New Tricks.

In one more recent episode, the character Brian builds an entire container ship out of Lego to represent the crime scene. One of the other characters (I forget who it was) then jokingly remarked "So our chief suspects are a fireman, a spaceman and a pirate" (side note I don't remember it clearly enough I know spaceman was definitely mentioned, and I'm pretty sure fireman was. There may have been a fourth one). The Lego in that scene was from the 1970s and 1980s. (which is interesting compared to my next example).

In a much older episode when I was younger, Brian is home with his wife and they are talking about their son who has left home. They get out some of his 'old Lego' which is a police car because his father is a policeman. The funny thing was that the Lego City police car pictured was a relatively new set from when I was a kid, while the son character would have had to have been probably in his 30s or older at least.

Another example is in the James Bond Top Gear special (might have been 2012 that was released I don't recall), they showed various eras of kids playing with James Bond cars. It started with a kid possibly in an old fashioned vest driving the original toy Aston Martin DB5 and using the ejector seat to eject a little model man (1960s), then a kid with I think a bowl haircut with the Lotus Espire (not sure how to spell that), diving the toy into a glass of water (1970s) and then a 'modern' kid playing with the cars used in Die Another Day (the battle on the ice with missiles in the grille) and behind the kid was the Lego City Forest Police police dog unit van.

There was also a movie called Foster where the foster boy and his foster father go to Legoland and they drive around in the cars there. The father who owns a toy shop, when asked about what's the best toy replies "Hands down, Lego". The only reason I remember that is because we saw the Legoland cars on the front of the DVD at the video store (the movie was very mediocre).

Oh and in Aliens in the Attic, the friendly engineer alien uses Duplo to build a representation of the big portal alien machine thing that makes the aliens big to warn the kids about the invasion.

Update: Turns out there's a whole website dedicated to this topic. Someone else also noted the Lego mentions in New Tricks.

Image 1
    Image 3
    "In episode 10.01, a boat made out of a mix of Lego parts from different eras is used to explain how drugs were smuggled on a container ship. He [Brian] says the model took 4 hours and 36 minutes to build." (this is from the website).

The website reckons these two Lego scenes are in the same episode. That's weird since I definitely remember being younger when I saw the episode with the police car, while older when I saw the boat episode. New Tricks was shown haphazardly on the ABC though so idk, memory distortions.

Image 4

Here's a link to the website which covers a wide variety of examples. https://bricks.inmovi.es/
    andhe
  • The_RancorThe_Rancor Dorset, UKMember Posts: 2,487
    Newsflash to all Lego Masters fans watching in the UK!

Lego Masters Australia Series 3 is now on E4/All4 and shown episode by episode on Sunday afternoons. Weirdly the first episode was on at about 3:30pm so I doubt they’re going to get many viewers live unless the kids are indoors on a Sunday afternoon.

The new gimmicks in the first episode are a bit annoying and the level of overhype is getting closer to USA but Aus is still the best region of Lego Masters I’ve seen so far and a good start.
    PJ76ukGibbo1959Brickchap
  • Gibbo1959Gibbo1959 Northumbria UKMember Posts: 528
    ^ thanks for the reminder. I’d missed any ads for it coming back so missed it yesterday but watching on catch up right now. Bit gimmicky but still find Aussie version more bearable than US. Also saw rerun of original UK series recently and that just seemed really tame by comparison.
    edited August 2022
    Gibbo1959 said:
    ^ thanks for the reminder. I’d missed any ads for it coming back so missed it yesterday but watching on catch up right now. Bit gimmicky but still find Aussie version more bearable than US. Also saw rerun of original UK series recently and that just seemed really tame by comparison.
    There weren’t any ads for it coming back - it’s almost like Channel 4 paid for the rights but couldn’t be bothered to put it in a slot when anyone would actually watch it live, not even mentioning that it was on with any marketing budget at all.

I still have an admiration for the UK OG series. The quality of the builds is not up to what you might be used to with the other regions nowadays, but they had actual children in many of the teams and I quite liked the imagination of many of them - in its own way that was just as entertaining as quality ‘serious’ builds from the other shows. Some of the UK tasks were really fun too - the crazy golf course one and the sculpture park one were great ideas. I also found the toilet one at the very beginning hilarious at the time!
    Gibbo1959
    Is there a way to view the UK series in the US?
    i was watching a repeat of Inside Legoland and i was wondering if Harry's life size Lego statue is still on display?
  • GothamConstructionCoGothamConstructionCo Colchester UKMember Posts: 799
    Seems Richard Arnold is a fan of the Modular’s.

BrickchapThe_Rancor
    Thanks for sharing! Sorry who is Richard Arnold?
  • GothamConstructionCoGothamConstructionCo Colchester UKMember Posts: 799
    ^ He’s ITV’s morning news entertainment correspondent.
    andhe
    There’s something familiar on Strictly Come Dancing from last weekend, but I just can’t put my finger on it…

playwellGibbo1959AyliffeandheGothamConstructionCoAanchiriwybs
  • playwellplaywell UKMember Posts: 2,272
    I think the episode was called "Brickly come dancing, Space to dance."
    andhe
    There’s something familiar on Strictly Come Dancing from last weekend, but I just can’t put my finger on it…

Exactly what I thought when I saw it, and mentioned to Mrs Gibbo. Obviously I was just in the room while she was watching Strictly!
    Switchfoot55The_Rancorandhe
    sure, you were.
    andheMaffyD
    Ok, so probably a TV advert isn't exactly 'Lego on TV' but I really wanted to share this advert. I'm quite the fan of Katy Perry and this particular song, and the kids just nail it. Perfect Lego advert:

https://youtu.be/OdZS3qqW9SE
    bookmum560Heliportpxchris
  • Steve_J_OMSteve_J_OM IrelandMember Posts: 993
    Who's up to date on the US LEGO Masters season? I can't remember how to do spoilers here so have to keep it vague, but there was a delightful bit of karma in Episode 7. 
    edited November 2022
    In the UK we’ve just been treated to the final of the 2021 series (think it’s the third) of Lego Masters Australia. Fantastic mix of builds - probably one of the most competitive finals I’ve seen. Choosing a favourite judge from the international versions is a bit like a parent choosing between children because they’re all great, but I think Brickman / Ryan definitely has the edge in terms of constructive criticism during the builds that help them reach their full potential. 

Hopefully E4 here in the UK will show the next series of Lego Masters US (the one that Brickset are interviewing the exiting teams from right now) but I suspect that might not be until at least February.

Still over here sulking that there is no Lego Masters UK ‘reborn’ yet - with the licensing costs of having shown 2 series of Lego Masters US and 3 of Australia, I’d have thought that would go some way to filming one here. We have competitive skill-based shows for literally everything now, including hairdressing and woodworking, so why not Lego? Particularly as it’s seen as such a big success everywhere else except for here. It even got ‘reborn’ in Germany from what I can understand.
    Gibbo1959PJ76ukandheBrickchap
    ^ Already missing my Sunday afternoon Lego Masters fix - I also think the latest Australian series was the best yet in terms of contestants, builds and the overall show, including some humorous shout outs to previous series. The top two builds were epic; hard to choose between them but the winner was a work of art.
    Brickchap
  • truck730truck730 Member Posts: 364
    The Aussie series was great ,I did love when kids were involved but the axing was what hurt UK version. US one is razzamatazz but the Aussie one was straight to lego promotion for adults and trying to include kids without kids! Owen and Scott had my vote especially after the music themed build. The winners sometimes needed a jumpstart from brickman but Owen and Scott needed to be told they were going toooo far
    Brickchap
  • LusiferSamLusiferSam MontanaMember Posts: 564
    Was watching the building toys episode of the Toys that Build America last night.  I had to pick my jaw up off the floor the when they were talking about Lego Samsonite.  They used one of my photos of one of my Samsonite sets.  The source had to have been this forum.  Total mind blowing experience.
    560HeliportThe_RancorSwitchfoot55pxchrisandheFizyx
  • Switchfoot55Switchfoot55 Yellowstone, 1883Member Posts: 3,163
    edited November 2022
    ^I meant to catch that episode! I'll have to try to find the next airing of it!
    Thoughts on the Christmas special of Australian Lego Masters?
    I'm glad this time they focused on the Lego rather than the celebrities and like that the celebrities really embraced Lego and learnt stuff from it. 'G' cracks me up. Something amazing happens which I won't mention here but those who've seen the episode will know what I'm talking about.

Don't like Hamish and Brickman needs to build him a razor... Brickman is awesome, such a great guy.
    I wonder how they pick which contestants from previous seasons get to come back for the Christmas special? Sarah and Fleur are good but I would have liked to have seen 4 different contestants from the different seasons rather than 1 team and then 2 others.
    Tonight's episode of Jeopardy had an entire LEGO category.
    This, of course, was my favorite clue:

560HeliportMarshallmarioSwitchfoot55rd1899gmonkey76
    The Man Who Fell To Earth has as scene with Lego in it, and Lego is mentioned a few times throughout the episode. Maybe even in the episode after too. There is a child involved :-)
  • TheOriginalSimonBTheOriginalSimonB Felixstowe Member Posts: 1,760
    Matthew Ashton has confirmed a UK Lego Masters Christmas special, so hopefully a new full series will follow.
    PJ76ukSpeedman29Switchfoot55Mr_Cross
    edited December 2022
    ^ I forgot to post it here - but I saw ‘Brickmaster’ Amy announce that the other day. I hope it means more than just one episode for Christmas too!
    Mr_Cross
    @pxchris Was the answer just 'Pirates'? or 1989 Pirates, something like that?
  • vanvonfullvanvonfull washingtonMember Posts: 256
    @pxchis cool!

I pulled this from the j-archive:

MaffyD560HeliportMarshallmariord1899pxchris
    MaffyD said:
    The Man Who Fell To Earth has as scene with Lego in it, and Lego is mentioned a few times throughout the episode. Maybe even in the episode after too. There is a child involved :-)
    Just watched the final episode of this show. There is Lego. And it made me quite emotional.

Amazing programme. Can't wait for season 2.
    pxchris
  • vanvonfullvanvonfull washingtonMember Posts: 256
    I’ve seen the David Bowie movie from the 70s, but didn’t know they made a show out of it. Sounds cool. 
    Brickchap
    Brickchap said:
    The answer was just "pirates". :-)
    pxchris said:
    Brickchap said:
    The answer was just "pirates". :-)
    I think you mean the question ;)
    560Heliport
  • karritkarrit USAMember Posts: 843
    ^ I forgot to post it here - but I saw ‘Brickmaster’ Amy announce that the other day. I hope it means more than just one episode for Christmas too!
    They announced in the US we are having a Holiday Celebrity edition starting on Dec. 19. So it sounds like we will be getting more than one episode.  According to what info I could find they will run it over three nights.  One of the listed Celebrities (Leslie Jordan) died about a month & a half ago and the other three aren't who I would consider big Celebrities: Cheryl Hines, Robin Thicke & Finesse Mitchell.  Had to look up who the last one was as I'd never heard of him.
    pxchris
  • Speedman29Speedman29 UKMember Posts: 2,246
    I've followed a chap called Shmee on YT for years, he was a supercar spotter turned collector who has a huge collection of amazing motors. Each Christmas he unveils some new toy. Last year was an old show F1 car, this year....
    ....the life sized LEGO brick McLaren Senna. Half a million bricks with genuine Senna wheels, steering wheel and drivers seat. He's got it on load from McLaren for a few weeks to park alongside his own Senna in blue.
    I saw it at Legoland Windsor the other year, it is quite spectacular.
    560HeliportThe_RancorPJ76uk
    Matthew Ashton has confirmed a UK Lego Masters Christmas special, so hopefully a new full series will follow.
    I’m getting some positive vibes from Amy’s latest Instagram vids - it looks very much like there’s a dedicated studio in the UK in the background of some of her behind the scenes peeks. There’s no way that would be the case unless there was a whole UK series following the Xmas special?
    Mr_Cross