Lego On TV programmes

VenunderVenunder Nottingham, UK.Member Posts: 2,483
edited March 2018 in Everything else LEGO
Channel 5 in the UK. Tonight.
NCIS New Orleans: the First Episode has a New Orleans agent, Scott Bakula talking about his brother, another agent, building Lego Models of Landmarks and then donating them to the local Hospital. A microscale model of the Superdome is shown.
Later a few small plates are emptied out of a computer keyboard. Supposedly they were stopping it from working but they are actually too large to have fitted into the space between keys. :)
I thought it was quite good and hope that they continue to mention lego in future episodes.

So if you spot anymore programs with lego why not post them here.
Coolguy5000VBaskin2008snowhitieLEGO_Dad77

Comments

• graphitegraphite USMember Posts: 3,241
    Sheldon on Big Bang Theory is shown building the DS II #10143 in an episode.
    Pitfall69gmonkey76bobabricksSumoLegokiki180703jesiroseVBaskin2008starwars4everLEGO_Dad77
  • TechnicNickTechnicNick Berkshire, UKMember Posts: 277
    The motorcycle racer Guy Martin's series on speed records - when he was shown in his living room planning things there was an assembled #8865 in the background.
    LeeVBaskin2008
  • Legopassion8Legopassion8 North CarolinaMember Posts: 1,180
    I still think the best use of Lego in tv/movies was in Honey I Shrunk the Kids...
    brownbricks720VBaskin2008LEGO_Dad77
  • prevereprevere North of Bellville, East of Heartlake, South of Bricksburg, West of Ninjago City Member Posts: 2,876
    Mythbusters rolling a Lego ball down a hill.
    brownbricks720VBaskin2008
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,782
    In Betweeners, although only mentioned and not shown.
    VBaskin2008
  • TechnicNickTechnicNick Berkshire, UKMember Posts: 277
    That is the single best thing I have ever seen!
    dougtsbobabricksOrmskirkBricksVBaskin2008
  • VenunderVenunder Nottingham, UK.Member Posts: 2,483
    The main idea is to track new appearances of Lego, to see how far it encroaches on modern culture.
    VBaskin2008
  • AanchirAanchir United StatesMember Posts: 2,803
    There's an extensive Eurobricks topic on this subject here!
    AndorVBaskin2008
  • klatu003klatu003 Hobbiton, Shire, Middle EarthMember Posts: 719
    HGTV *reality* shows with renovations or shopping for new house (can't remember which one) showed a childless couple with Lego sets displayed in several rooms of their *before* house. There was an Emerald Night train on the kitchen table.
    VBaskin2008
  • rdflegordflego in a world of his ownMember Posts: 324
    Bit of a stretch but on BBC 2's Wastemen last night there was an empty box for a Clone Wars set featured in a scene about fly-tipping. Very limited screen time for it though.
    VBaskin2008
  • gelkstergelkster MN, USAMember Posts: 487
    There was (is?) a Canadian comedy "Corner Gas" creatd by starring Brent Butt. He works at the gas station in a quirky Canadian small town, a bit like the US' "Northern Exposure". Anyway, in one episode the "village idiot"-type character is building a LEGO scale model of the town for a festival.
    VBaskin2008
  • 77ncaachamps77ncaachamps Aspiring Time Traveler Stuck in the West (US)Member Posts: 2,439
    Max Braverman, the son with Asperger's, is seen playing with Lego in his room in many episodes. I didn't catch a screen shot of it but he also had built models on the shelves of his room.

hkcrazy88VBaskin2008
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,374
    Tonight on TBS (US) a Lego Millennium Falcon was featured on "Your Family or Mine". It was all off though. It was supposed to be a 6000 piece Millennium Falcon that 2 brothers had built in 1990. The MF was obviously a system scale MF with a lot more pieces thrown in, but we all know there wasn't an official set made in 1990.
    VBaskin2008madforLEGO
  • princedravenprincedraven Essex, UKMember Posts: 3,768
    Noticed on the new movie adaptation of: Roald Dahl's Esio Trot the little boy plays with what I'm sure is: 70725: Nindroid MechDragon

VBaskin2008
    edited September 2015
    Horizon. BBC 2. Cosmologist, Max, playing with Lego on a program about the Universe. right now.
    Building a Lego House. 
    Should be available on BBC online player for a while.
    Just a small 1-2 minute section, about 10 minutes into the program.
    VBaskin2008
  • hoyatableshoyatables Northern Virginia, USAMember Posts: 863
    Two come to mind:
    simpsons episode where they are in a LEGO world
    Conan episode where a young 20something actor (name escapes me) talked about how he and his friends were going to get together to build a LEGO Death Star. 
    VBaskin2008
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFWMember Posts: 5,822
    Conan also gave away a prosthetic leg filled with Lego to an audience member awhile back as a prize for some silly something or other.
    VBaskin2008
  • dragonhawkdragonhawk USMember Posts: 633
    In Michael J Fox short lived TV show (called The Michael J Fox Show), his youngest son  was portrayed as LEGO enthusiast.  You could see LEGO sets displayed all over his old room (which was occupied by his older brother who moved back home).  One particular episode showed him building Imperial Flagship with his sister.  It was the first time I saw #10210 on screen.
    VBaskin2008
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,374
    Lego was mentioned in the tv show "Full House". It was just on TV tonight :)
    hkcrazy88VBaskin2008
  • LeeLee ukMember Posts: 138
    The motorcycle racer Guy Martin's series on speed records - when he was shown in his living room planning things there was an assembled #8865 in the background.

I saw that to.
    VBaskin2008
  • sweetness34sweetness34 San Diego, CA.Member Posts: 322
    A few weeks ago when the Chicago Cubs were playing the LA Dodgers. Vin Scully mentioned that the Cubs pitcher Jason Hamel is a big fan of Lego and still has all his childhood sets. I thought it was pretty interesting that he mentioned it during his broadcast. 
    VBaskin2008
  • MrShinyAndNewMrShinyAndNew Member Posts: 244
    In Community Season 3 the chemistry professor, who's been in jail for 12 years, tell his class he has just one question.
    "What happened with Legos? They used to be simple. Oh, come on, I know you know what I'm talking about. Legos were simple. Something happened I heard while I was inside. Harry Potter Legos, Star Wars Legos, complicated kits, tiny little blocks... I mean I'm not saying it's bad, I just wanna know what happened."

They hit so many troll notes with that one, I had to laugh.

VBaskin2008LEGO_Dad77
  • netomeyernetomeyer GuatemalaMember Posts: 1

In Malcolm in the Middle there was an episode in which Dewey built a mega city using LEGO and other brands. At the end of the episode Lois falls and destroys Dewey's city. There are no minifigs, but you can recognize that part of the city is pure LEGO.

Here's the link to the destruction of the city.

https://youtu.be/bfk9A6-abak

VBaskin2008bookmum
  • brickrikkbrickrikk UKMember Posts: 13
    Venunder said:
    Channel 5 in the UK. Tonight. NCIS New Orleans: the First Episode has a New Orleans agent, Scott Bakula talking about his brother, another agent, building Lego Models of Landmarks and then donating them to the local Hospital. A microscale model of the Superdome is shown. Later a few small plates are emptied out of a computer keyboard. Supposedly they were stopping it from working but they are actually too large to have fitted into the space between keys. :) I thought it was quite good and hope that they continue to mention lego in future episodes. So if you spot anymore programs with lego why not post them here.
    I remember seeing that. Sadly that aspect of the character never made it into the full series. Seems he forgot all about his passion for Lego. Is that even possible? ;)
    VBaskin2008
    I guess he went into a dark age?
    The bean counters probably decided it was no longer "cool" to have a lego building character.
    To be honest I have not watched any other episodes. 
    Other things to see at the same time.
    VBaskin2008
  • TheOriginalSimonBTheOriginalSimonB Felixstowe Member Posts: 1,306
    A mention on "Would I Lie To You" tonight, complete with Rob Brydon doing the BBC obligatory "other brands are available - but they aren't as good" bit.
    VBaskin2008
  • bookmumbookmum londonMember Posts: 1,196
    @netomeyer I seem to remember Dewey's army were all playmobil figures painted white. Being bigger than minifigs they probably looked better on screen. I remember in future episodes you would sometimes spot the odd one in the background. 
    Another NCIS episode had Mcgee explain to Gibbs how some criminals pulled off their robbery by recreating the scene with Lego. 
    VBaskin2008
  • starwars4everstarwars4ever The Forest Moon of EndorMember Posts: 477
    I think there's this show called Ninjago which might have referenced it a few times. ;)
    VBaskin2008TheBrickPal
  • xwingpilotxwingpilot UKMember Posts: 797
    A mention on "Would I Lie To You" tonight, complete with Rob Brydon doing the BBC obligatory "other brands are available - but they aren't as good" bit.

TheOriginalSimonBVBaskin2008diddypisnowhitieLostInTranslationiso3200bobabricksGalactus
  • pasat14pasat14 AustraliaMember Posts: 44
    Counting Cars air brushed a customed design car that was raising money for a sick boy. Looked awesome!
    VBaskin2008bobabricks
  • GeordiePaulGeordiePaul Glastonbury, CT, USAMember Posts: 519
    Louis Theroux's latest show focusing on Jimmy Savile's victims and allies featured a giant Jimmy Savile head that was presented to him years ago. Can't remember if it was from a local LUG or by Lego themselves, but someone still had it in their shed along with a bunch of other creepy Savile memorabilia.
    VBaskin2008
  • VBaskin2008VBaskin2008 Member Posts: 181
    Do you think that it's time we should email Cartoon Network, LEGO, and Warner Bros. Animation to do a block of new cartoons based on current LEGO themes?
  • LyichirLyichir United StatesMember Posts: 723
    Do you think that it's time we should email Cartoon Network, LEGO, and Warner Bros. Animation to do a block of new cartoons based on current LEGO themes?
    I don't think it'd make a huge difference to email them. Lego can't just up and make a cartoon for a theme if the theme's marketing and media budget isn't already set up for that, and chances are it'd take quite a while (a year, at least) to get one brand-new show up and running, let alone several.

What sorts themes are you wanting shows for, anyway? There are already ongoing TV series for Ninjago, Star Wars, and Nexo Knights, movies/specials for DC Super Heroes, Jurassic World, Scooby Doo, Mixels, and Elves, Netflix series for Bionicle and Friends (along with Elves moving to Netflix next year), and web animations for any number of themes. To be quite honest I'd say we're living in somewhat of a golden age for Lego media already.
    stluxcatwranglerVBaskin2008
  • 77ncaachamps77ncaachamps Aspiring Time Traveler Stuck in the West (US)Member Posts: 2,439
    Seen on the Amazing Race.

I think it was in Peru or Colombia.
    The taxi driver had it on his dash.

VBaskin2008
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 11,907

I always find it amazing that they use "Lego" and not "Legos" when making reference to the product.

(Or maybe I'm just accustomed to American English being awful and ridiculous.)
    VBaskin2008snowhitie
  • xwingpilotxwingpilot UKMember Posts: 797
    ^ I've never heard anyone in the UK call it LEGOs...
    AllBrickVBaskin2008
  • TheOriginalSimonBTheOriginalSimonB Felixstowe Member Posts: 1,306
    ^Same here. First time I heard it with the s was in Honey I Shrunk The Kids.
    AllBrickVBaskin2008
  • khmellymelkhmellymel United KingdomMember Posts: 1,228
    Me either, but I have heard it pronounced "Lay-go" on more than one occasion.
    AllBrickVBaskin2008
  • TigerMothTigerMoth Member Posts: 2,343
    Me either, but I have heard it pronounced "Lay-go" on more than one occasion.
    That's actually closer to the Danish pronunciation - it just that few people outside Denmark use it.
    LyichirAanchirkhmellymelcatwranglerSumoLegoAllBrickVBaskin2008
  • mr.pigglesmr.piggles Snow FortMember Posts: 326
    I hate to go off the rails, but how is it more popularly pronounced, if not "lay-go"?
    VBaskin2008
    I hate to go off the rails, but how is it more popularly pronounced, if not "lay-go"?
    With a much shorter vowel sound - more "eh" that "ay".
    VBaskin2008
  • plasmodiumplasmodium UKMember Posts: 1,936
    ^ & ^^ That's just the difference between the British and American accents, though, really. Just in terms of my experience as a Brit growing up with Americans.

We would say "leggo", they would say "lay-go". We say it as a spondee, the Americans would say it as a trochee, if I remember my English lit classes correctly. Americans are much more likely to stress the first syllable of a word, generally speaking.
    catwranglerVBaskin2008snowhitie
    ^ & ^^ That's just the difference between the British and American accents, though, really. Just in terms of my experience as a Brit growing up with Americans.
    Yes and no. There is perhaps a slight difference in the length of the vowel between the US and the UK, but the Danish version is very different with a strong "y" sound in the middle and almost a pause. It's not unusual to hear that pronunciation in the UK, and also in Continental Europe.

Listen to one of Jamie's designer videos, where a Brit would barely notice any difference, and compare it with a presentation given by Jørgen.
    VBaskin2008
  • catwranglercatwrangler Northern IrelandMember Posts: 1,786
    I grew up calling it lay-go, but I don't know whether I picked that up from my mum or from British TV ads - I do know that more recently I've been surprised to hear UK people saying, "legg-o"...
    VBaskin2008
    edited October 2016
    I would have thought leg-o or legg-o in England.
    But I am not surprised the Danish say lay-go, as the name was made from two Danish words meaning play well?

VBaskin2008
    If you look at old ads, they use both - sometimes in the same ad, but usually with a difference voice. That's true for both the US and the UK.
    VBaskin2008
  • MaffyDMaffyD West YorkshireMember Posts: 2,529
    I know this is TV programmes, but has anyone mentioned it being used in Room, the Brie Larson film?
    VBaskin2008
  • khmellymelkhmellymel United KingdomMember Posts: 1,228

We would say "leggo", they would say "lay-go". We say it as a spondee, the Americans would say it as a trochee, if I remember my English lit classes correctly. Americans are much more likely to stress the first syllable of a word, generally speaking.
    My experience is actually vice versa - I'd never heard it pronounced "lay-go" until I moved to the UK. In Canada and the US, when I was growing up there was this commercial on the television for a brand of toaster waffles called Eggo, where the kid says, "Leggo my Eggo!" We pronounce Lego in the same way.
    LegogramVBaskin2008MegtheCat