Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Haunted House

Where can I find the Haunted House without paying $400? It's crazy. That's the last one we need to complete our set. I'm so bummed I missed out on it.

Comments

• madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,500
    I would say buy a used one from eBay (around just under 300 USD from the looks of things), check bricklink.com, or brickowl.com. Check Craigslist, etc.
    They are that expensive because many did not buy it when out and now have to pay more for it.
    You could try to 'bricklink' it (That is: buy all of the pieces from the set new from sellers on bricklink, brickowl, or LEGO and build it that way) but it may be as expensive as buying a used one.
    Or hope someone here will sell you a new one for well under 400. While unlikely, never say never.
    I would say your best bet is to buy one used which will be cheaper and some still come with their boxes as well.
    Good luck.
  • eggsheneggshen Middleton, WIMember Posts: 542
    @pixelpops, I am in the same boat. My wife and I were going to nab it for our family to build together, but it EOL'ed before we could grab one. That's what we get for dragging our feet, I guess. Eventually one will pop up on ebay, just don't outbid me, ok?
  • prevereprevere North of Bellville, East of Heartlake, South of Bricksburg, West of Ninjago City Member Posts: 2,883
  • obi_gobi_g BlightyMember Posts: 525
    @prevere it's actually just the instructions... :(
  • monkeymonkey Member Posts: 235
    Its one of my favourite sets in our collection! Unfortunately its so popular my guess is it'll only continue growing in price. If I were you I'd get one for $400 before they become $800 (just think of Green Grocer)
  • Jern92Jern92 MalaysiaMember Posts: 805
    monkey said:

Its one of my favourite sets in our collection! Unfortunately its so popular my guess is it'll only continue growing in price. If I were you I'd get one for $400 before they become $800 (just think of Green Grocer)

Agreed. I nabbed this right before it EOL-ed from [email protected] (it disappeared a couple of days after I ordered mine, never to return) and absolutely love it. My advice is to grab it while you can; it's an awesome build!
  • oldtodd33oldtodd33 Denver 4800 miles to BillundMember Posts: 2,452
  • pixelpopspixelpops Member Posts: 21
    I found someone in Canada (where I reside) selling it for $415 CAD plus shipping. Still better than U.S pricing, the way our dollar is.
  • MrJ_NYMrJ_NY A flick missle away from Brickagara FallsMember Posts: 592
    Wow @oldtodd33 that was a steal,wish I'd have seen it as well.
  • prevereprevere North of Bellville, East of Heartlake, South of Bricksburg, West of Ninjago City Member Posts: 2,883
    obi_g said:

@prevere it's actually just the instructions... :(

True, but only $4. Parts are easy to come by.
  • thehornedratthehornedrat Member Posts: 86
    Sold for only 100? Yup, love those ignorant mom and pops!
  • CrowkillersCrowkillers Member Posts: 757
    Wow.. I didn't realize those HH sets were already selling for that amount.. I think my wife bought a few from Target when they were clearancing them out...
  • henrysunsethenrysunset Member Posts: 235
    I bought mine used (about 5 pcs missing) for 70$ off craigslist. Granted, this was well before EOL. I still think I got a good deal.
  • CircleKCircleK U.S. - Columbus, OhioMember Posts: 1,055

I bought mine used (about 5 pcs missing) for 70$ off craigslist. Granted, this was well before EOL. I still think I got a good deal.

I had a similar Craigslist find. I believe I paid 80 for my used HH and the only piece missing was a single tan shrub. I also have a sealed copy.

Wow.. I didn't realize those HH sets were already selling for that amount.. I think my wife bought a few from Target when they were clearancing them out...

HH at Target? And on clearance? That's incredible.

Indeed, where I'm at, HHs languished on the shelves for a long time, even though the retailer has an exclusive deal, and they were selling it like AUD 189, instead of the usual 249. Everyone just ignored it!! They had to reduce it to 168 to move it. I managed to pick up a sizable quantity. The boxes were so dusty by being on the shelf for so long.. Overall the MF theme didn't sell particularly well...until they're gone.

Now i see history repeating itself with UltraAgents.
    It's frustrating. My daughter is finally into LEGO and loves the Monster Fighters sets. We just missed it by a few months.
  • mountebankmountebank Member Posts: 1,237
    edited February 2015
    I missed Green Grocer and Imperial Flagship. A few years ago I had the money to pick them up and got the market rate for a GG and a good deal on an IF. I'm really pleased I did.

Put simply, if you're after something special (and HH is one of those sets) and you've got the money, then do your homework, watch ebay like a hawk, and buy within your price range. You won't regret it.
    LegoKipprevere
  • ryjayryjay Member Posts: 1,001
    What was your budget for this item? It sounds like your trying to complete the set, but if your just going after a haunted like house, the Scooby Doo one yet to come out could be an ok option.
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,401
    ryjay said:

What was your budget for this item? It sounds like your trying to complete the set, but if your just going after a haunted like house, the Scooby Doo one yet to come out could be an ok option.

I see where you are coming from, but the Scooby Doo Mystery Mansion is no Haunted House. Plus I'm sure he also wants to complete his "Monster Fighters" collection.

Yes, we just want to complete the Monster Fighters set. I'd say my budget would be $300-$350, but that's in Canadian funds, unfortunately.
    I have literally called every toy store in Canada. One place is selling it for $440 CADincluding shipping, and I'm hesitant because 1. It's a lot of money, especially since pirates and Elves are next month. 2. I'm worried if find something cheaper after I buy this one.
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 18,207
    If you don't pay that this month, you can always pay more next month. Pirates and elves may be coming out, but they will remain at rrp or lower for some time yet.
    tamamahmSethro3
    Hahaha, you guys are total enablers. $415 CAD converts to around $330 USD, which is still cheaper than anything I've seen on eBay recently.
    Pitfall69pharmjoddougts
  • Sethro3Sethro3 United StatesMember Posts: 819
    So basically from everything I've read on the forums, if you have even the slightest (teeny-tiniest) inkling to get a set, just buy it because it will disappear and you'll be upset for the rest of your life...

Do you think more people have relationship regrets or LEGO regrets?
  • Thanos75Thanos75 Member Posts: 1,117
    LEGO regrets are way cheaper then relationship regrets.
    Pitfall69BuriedinBricks
  • CircleKCircleK U.S. - Columbus, OhioMember Posts: 1,055
    Sometimes Lego causes Relationship regrets.
    BrickDancer
  • BrickDancerBrickDancer Dunes of TatooineMember Posts: 3,639
    ^Gets even tougher when you wrestle with which should be the one to go.
    Pitfall69CircleKRainstorm26
  • piratemania7piratemania7 New EnglandMember Posts: 2,096
    Sethro3 said:

So basically from everything I've read on the forums, if you have even the slightest (teeny-tiniest) inkling to get a set, just buy it because it will disappear and you'll be upset for the rest of your life...

Do you think more people have relationship regrets or LEGO regrets?

Yes buy it.

I think LEGO regrets can lead to relationship regrets - make smart choices. :wink:
    So................did you buy it?
    Yep, I did end up buying it! That's the last time I have second thoughts on a set again.
    MrJ_NY
  • MrJ_NYMrJ_NY A flick missle away from Brickagara FallsMember Posts: 592
    When you see the price a HH is going for this time next year you'll be glad you did.
    Pitfall69
    pixelpops said:

Yep, I did end up buying it! That's the last time I have second thoughts on a set again.

Good. It's a fun build, too! :)
    Wait...are you going to build it? Well, if you are, tear it open as soon as you get it because around this time next year you might have second thoughts ;)
    oldtodd33Thanos75
    Pitfall69 said:

Wait...are you going to build it? Well, if you are, tear it open as soon as you get it because around this time next year you might have second thoughts ;)

haha yeah, we are going to build it. Crazy, I know. But we'll get to enjoy it together as a family - that's how I see it :)
    FurrysaurusPitfall69
  • 111ins111ins Member Posts: 265
    Pitfall69 said:

He can build it, enjoy it for a year and still sell it for more than he paid for it now the way the prices are going!

MrJ_NYPitfall69
  • blars82blars82 Member Posts: 19
    Hmmm, I have a used Haunted House that I've built twice that I might sell this year. I'd otherwise consider trading it for some of the Harry Potter sets (have all of the new ones, but need some of the sets from the first 4 movies).
    You can't have everything. I couldn't.

I regret not getting enough Harry Potter, I laughed off first wave of Friends, now I pick some up. I missed out on the Imperial Flagship and the Queen Anne's Revenge, but managed to score used a Imperial Shuttle and an Emerald Night, before they went out of my budget!

I'm was lucky I spotted those unloved HHs!!
    blars82 said:

Hmmm, I have a used Haunted House that I've built twice that I might sell this year. I'd otherwise consider trading it for some of the Harry Potter sets (have all of the new ones, but need some of the sets from the first 4 movies).

Where were you last year? I sold every set from the first 4 movies + on Ebay.

blars82
    edited February 2015
    Has anyone ever Bricklinked a HH? I'm thinking it would be over $300 unless you already have a head start. You would have to get all the pieces at around $0.10 per piece to get it at original MRP (but the figures, stickers, and instructions will set you back around $40, so really you are looking at around $0.07 per piece). There is no way I will be able to convince my wife to throw down $350 for this, so maybe I will start the slow crawl towards a "complete" Bricklink set. Couple pieces here, couple thousand pieces there, I will be there in no time! (added quotes around "complete" for all the purists out there!)
  • jpczjpcz Member Posts: 95
    ^I've been considering doing that because I have a good head start on a lot of pieces. I'd be interested if you or anyone else has an idea of the overall cost of piecing the set together. A few stores I have coupons to I have looked up and found about 1000 or so pieces for the set at about $120USD (before coupon).
  • ColoradoBricksColoradoBricks Denver, CO, USAMember Posts: 1,642
    You can use the part out value page for 10228.
    The current average part out value is $450, you might get some pieces cheaper, but then add S&H from multiple store, so my guess would be $500-$550 mark.
    ^ Some people might have to pay $550 for all the parts, but there are those of us that already have extra pieces (I have a lot of sand green, black slopes for the roof, brown bushes, gates, etc) so the price won't be as intimidating. Plus a savvy shopper can find the deals and consolidate as much into as few shops to minimize shipping. I see this number as a challenge to those of us that don't want to pay reseller prices for something that was only $160 a few short months ago.

Challenge accepted!!!
  • samiam391samiam391 A Log Cabin in KY, United StatesMember Posts: 4,283
    eggshen said:

Has anyone ever Bricklinked a HH? I'm thinking it would be over $300 unless you already have a head start. You would have to get all the pieces at around $0.10 per piece to get it at original MRP (but the figures, stickers, and instructions will set you back around $40, so really you are looking at around $0.07 per piece). There is no way I will be able to convince my wife to throw down $350 for this, so maybe I will start the slow crawl towards a "complete" Bricklink set. Couple pieces here, couple thousand pieces there, I will be there in no time! (added quotes around "complete" for all the purists out there!)

I had a bit of a head start as I purchased half a haunted house for $125 (along with $600 for a Taj Mahal so it was a good deal) and was able to complete it on Bricklink for an additional $77. Most of what was missing was simple bricks though. I was missing all the 1x4 and 1x6s, which is where most of the damage came from.
  • TheBigLegoskiTheBigLegoski Amsterdam, NederlandMember Posts: 1,399
    Wow!
    HH really is a highly valued precious gem to lots of (A)FOL's, isn't it?!
    I bought one when it came out. I saw it and had to have it! It was, and still is, one of the most expensive sets I have ever ordered from [email protected], or any other (online)retailer. I hate to admit it but I have been biting off more than I can chew last couple of years, and by now I have quite a stack of sets I still have not build, due to constrains; not having enough display space; postponing and procrastinating taking apart sets I have build and which as a result are permanently on display. While at the same time constantly coveting other new sets. So even though I mentioned over a year ago here on the forum that I had still not build it, and many people on the topic/thread spurring me on: 'go build it dude, it is so awesome!' it to this day is still sitting in the shipping box at which it arrived from [email protected] in 2012.
    'Got to have it! Got to have it all!' syndrome I guess is what I have (a little).
    I am not a reseller, never thus far have I ever sold any Lego set I bought. However, maybe, just maybe, I might be tempted to sell HH some day in the future if it keeps rising in value, and it reaches an amount at which the monetary value outweighs the delight of breaking the seals of the box, cutting open the bags and start building it. I always thought when I bought it: 'it looks good, but I will probably part it out a few months after having had it on display, so I can use it for MOC'ing projects, which unfortunately the last 18 months or so, have also all come to a grinding halt, due to not enough space, having to alter and renovate my house in order to facilitate my Lego needs/addiction, and not getting around to doing that either.
    *sigh*
    Life is tough ;)
    I suppose it is a good thing 2015 for me is a year in which TLG has released few themes I am or was heavily into. (no Castle, no more LOTR/Hobbit etc.)
  • TheGlynreaperTheGlynreaper Banned Posts: 18
    the people who own the haunted house could even use it as part of the Scooby doo sets when there released as it features coffins and trapdoors
    ^There are no coffins or trap doors in the Haunted House. There is an attic ladder that folds down to gain access to the attic.
  • piratemania7piratemania7 New EnglandMember Posts: 2,096
    eggshen said:

Complete yes but will you actually "own" the HH? I'm just messing. :blush:
    Pitfall69Bumblepantsjuggles7
    Ha!
    TheBigLegoskiMrJ_NYT_LarsjasorMrShinyAndNewAdzbadboy

the people who own the haunted house could even use it as part of the Scooby doo sets when there released as it features coffins and trapdoors

There are coffins in the Zombies set, which is pretty pricey now as well.

Pitfall69