Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Storage ideas.

legoladlegolad Member Posts: 24
Hi

I was just wondering how you all store your unopened sets. I want to find some ideas to keep the boxed sets i have in nice condition.

Ben

Comments

• CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 20,307
    It depends where you are storing them. On shelving is fine and they look quite nice. Or in original shipping boxes even better, but they look horrible. Or in sealed plastic boxes if in a basement or attic.
  • SuperTrampSuperTramp City 17Member Posts: 1,021
    edited February 2015
    I have to keep all my lego in the attic. Its not ideal but ive no other choice. I just keep them like CCC says in the shipping boxes they arrive in.

They have been up there around 2 years so they have been through the hot summer days and the cold winter weather and they seem to be holding up well.
  • piratemania7piratemania7 New EnglandMember Posts: 2,147
    Agreed with @SuperTramp except everything I have unopened is kept in the shed outside. Still holding up to the extreme weather elements of New England. Once the set has been opened and built if I am going to store it I take it apart and keep in zip lock bags which are subsequently kept in large plastic drawers.
  • RennyRenny USAMember Posts: 1,145
    I store most of my sets in big plastic tubs, numbered and cataloged so I know what each tub contains. They stack easily and protect the boxes from dust and general wear. The bigger boxed sets like modulars and UCS go into my closets.
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 10,479
    I think there are at least two threads discussing storing parts/sets/etc Just a bit rushed now to find them, sorry.
  • legoladlegolad Member Posts: 24
    thank you guys for the ideas.
  • prevereprevere North of Bellville, East of Heartlake, South of Bricksburg, West of Ninjago City Member Posts: 2,923
    If you go with shelves, make it wood, stainless steel, or heavy duty plastic. Storing a lot or a heavy amount of sets on weak plastic shelves ended up creating creases and dents on the shelf below it for me.
  • natro220natro220 USAMember Posts: 545
    I started this one a long time ago, lots of good ideas in there.
    http://www.bricksetforum.com/discussion/51/how-does-everyone-else-store-their-collection/p1
  • monkeymonkey Member Posts: 235
    I store unopened boxes in the house in a cupboard under the stairs, and to protect from dust wrap each box tightly in cling film several layers.

If I had to store them in the loft/outside shed without temperature control I'd use vacuum packaging if possible, or tight seal plastic containers.
  • natro220natro220 USAMember Posts: 545
    monkey said:

I store unopened boxes in the house in a cupboard under the stairs

Surely you only store Harry Potter Lego sets there?
    binaryeyeOldfanmatticus_bricksGalactusBrickmanandheJern92
    ^Alas no! I wish I had enough of those unopened to store though ;)
  • prevereprevere North of Bellville, East of Heartlake, South of Bricksburg, West of Ninjago City Member Posts: 2,923
    natro220 said:

monkey said:

I store unopened boxes in the house in a cupboard under the stairs

Surely you only store Harry Potter Lego sets there?
    Since my shelving problems, I let the house elf stack the unopened boxes.
  • tomalphintomalphin Member Posts: 250
    I don't have many unopened sets, but the ones I do have live stashed away in cardboard boxes.
  • GalactusGalactus NLMember Posts: 260

I think there are at least two threads discussing storing parts/sets/etc Just a bit rushed now to find them, sorry.

Galactus said:
    ^ What's the thread "How do you display minifigs" got to do with the question of best way to store unopened sets?
  • wayneggwaynegg Texas,USAMember Posts: 394
    edited February 2015
    If you don't mind investing the money, there's a site I order acid free acrylic cases from for my 6" Star Wars figure collection which offers custom sized cases as well. They also have a coating on them to prevent UV penetration and the fading it causes and they're quite sturdy. Since many LEGO sets have very similar dimensions, with enough interest they may even be willing stock "standard" sizes for LEGO sets which would make them a bit less expensive.
  • dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,129
    monkey said:

^ What's the thread "How do you display minifigs" got to do with the question of best way to store unopened sets?

I think Galactus was just trying to provide a comprehensive list of storage topics

Pitfall69Galactus
  • 77ncaachamps77ncaachamps Aspiring Time Traveler Stuck in the West (US)Member Posts: 2,442
    I looked and skimmed and couldn't find the answer to my question, so I ask y'all here in this thread:

"When storing unopened boxes in bins or other boxes, should they be stored flat (with a few boxes on top) or standing up?"
  • graphitegraphite USMember Posts: 3,271
    ^ if you're storing a couple of the same sized set then flat would probably be ok. But different sizes will start to crease the lower ones. I store my boxed sets in Uhaul moving boxes so I fill a box with sets standing up then lay a couple down on top depending on what room is available. Has worked well for me.
    edited February 2015
    Standing up with a tight fit. Especially with big sets the lego may start to bulge the sides out, but when the boxes are placed snuggly together it helps.
  • DrmnezDrmnez USA, Planet earth Member Posts: 859
    I cannot speak a whole lot to this cuz I'm a collector that thinks its a waste leaving Lego in a box, but when I store sets I cannot build yet I put several in a bigger box and make sure they are snug to prevent bulging. If there is not enough space to store the boxes snuggly I'll stick a towel in there.

I do that so if I never get around to building a set I can sell it in box, in good condition.
  • piratemania7piratemania7 New EnglandMember Posts: 2,147
    I think standing boxes is the way to go IF they are not inside a shipping type box. If thats the case then you have some options, you can "fill out" the shipping box by placing bubble wrap or other packaging inside the box along with the LEGO box and then store then stacked laying down - I wouldnt stack 10 on top of each other, but you get the point. If you dont stack too many on top of each other the strength of the shipping box "should" withstand any pressure and not affect the LEGO box.

Savvy?