The forum is now at http://forum.brickset.com. Please update your bookmarks.
Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.
You must be 16 or over to participate in the Brickset Forum. Please read the announcements and rules before you join.

Ebay Drop Shipping from LEGO

astarguyastarguy Member Posts: 37
edited October 2011 in Buying & Selling Topics
i am fairly new around here but some where i read that people would drop ship stuff directly from lego that you would buy from ebay. well here is the deal i bought the white house from someone on ebay for a price that was with in a few dollars of the retail price as listed on lego.com. ok fine but when i opened it i was drop shipped from lego and it was the wrong set was supposed to get the white house but what i got was the farnsworth house. was there some kind of fraud involved?

Comments

• JP3804JP3804 Member Posts: 332
    I would say yes. That is what happened to me when I got flagged by Lego [email protected] They cancelled my orders. The sets I bought were only 10% to 20% off retail with free shipping.
    I would contact Lego customer service so they can investigate it. They can tell you if it is legitiment.
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO USMember Posts: 8,787
    Be wary of anything 'drop-shipped' from Lego.
    I got a bit burned on something like this as well...
    The Motto of eBay should be this :
    If it is too good to be true, it probably is.

If you got it for a 'steal' of a price and the Feedback for the seller is very little then it could be fraudulent...
    Especially if the billing address is different than yours
  • streekerstreeker FranceMember Posts: 299
    edited October 2011
    ^See, this is where it gets tricky. OP said that it was only a few dollars off the retail price. Not a 'steal' price to trigger any doubts or red flags. These rip-off artists on ebay, amazon 3rd-parties, and bricklink are cunning. Lure buyers in with reasonable discounts at 25%-35% off, use a stolen card, dropship it from lego.com, run away with the money, and buyer and LEGO are left to clean up the mess.

With the holiday season coming in, these kinds of schemes are bound to increase. I've been burnt once, so my advice is this: ignore the siren call of the sellers on ebay et al for CURRENT sets. Shut those ladies up. Buy current sets directly from retailers like walmart, argos, amazon amazon, etc. Plus, the holiday sales will bring the discounts that we're all impatiently waiting for.

• drdavewatforddrdavewatford Hertfordshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,161
    ^ I'd echo these sentiments - why take the risk of buying current sets on eBay ? Given the prevalence of excellent deals at TRU, Amazon etc. there's simply no need in most cases. The LEGO exclusives are a possible exception, but if the eBay price isn't much different to the RRP then go with LEGO [email protected] and get VIP points etc., and if it IS much lower than RRP then it's probably a scam - where could the seller have sourced these sets so cheap ?
  • richoricho Member Posts: 3,791
    edited October 2011
    Agree with the comments too. I used to buy loads off ebay, but given the brilliant deals coming up on the high street (partly due to the current economic outlook), the VIP system from Lego, and also dubious listings cropping up on ebay recently, I have completely cut down my lego purchases on there.
  • astarguyastarguy Member Posts: 37
    thanks to all who responded. i have been using ebay for years and have never had any problems. but i will start buying new sets from lego directly. ps can a lego store order sets for you?
  • llanowarsoldierllanowarsoldier Ohio USAMember Posts: 357
    thanks to all who responded. i have been using ebay for years and have never had any problems. but i will start buying new sets from lego directly. ps can a lego store order sets for you?
    Yes, yes they will AND you get VIP points too!

• tdhbrtdhbr Member Posts: 188
    Sent straight to your home with no shipping cost, in my experience.
  • ChompersChompers Member Posts: 648
    While I agree with all the points rasied above. I think it is unfair to "tar" all eBay sellers of current sets with the same brush. I have been selling current sets since the beginning of the year when I came out of the dark ages. I take advantage of 3-2, discounted offers as and when and re sell on eBay to fund my and my sons LEGO habbit. I mainly sell Technic sets (yes I know!!!!) and have enjoyed doing so. Everyone I have sold to has been more that happy with my service and now have repeat buyers. Not all sellers are scammers.

Surely the correct advice is to check feedback, see how long the seller has been selling on eBay and in particular how long selling LEGO. As stated above if the deal looks to good to be true and the points I raise don't stack up then vote with your feet and buy elsewhere.
  • DaddyWhaleDaddyWhale Member Posts: 130
    While I agree with all the points rasied above. I think it is unfair to "tar" all eBay sellers of current sets with the same brush. I have been selling current sets since the beginning of the year when I came out of the dark ages. I take advantage of 3-2, discounted offers as and when and re sell on eBay to fund my and my sons LEGO habbit. I mainly sell Technic sets (yes I know!!!!) and have enjoyed doing so. Everyone I have sold to has been more that happy with my service and now have repeat buyers. Not all sellers are scammers.

Surely the correct advice is to check feedback, see how long the seller has been selling on eBay and in particular how long selling LEGO. As stated above if the deal looks to good to be true and the points I raise don't stack up then vote with your feet and buy elsewhere.
    I'm glad to know that there are honest sellers of new sets. But even following your suggestions, I got burned buying a new Technic set (8110) on eBay. I got the set for $165, free shipping. It came directly from LEGO with a bill to a name and address that did not match the paypal details.

Contacted eBay immediately and followed up with them several times. The seller is still selling on eBay with great feedback. I also contacted LEGO directly (and state attorney general's office). As far as I can tell, they've done nothing either. Everyone, including LEGO, said keep the set and we'll deal with it. It's now been more than 3 weeks. I'm a bit cynical, and feel really bad for the person whose credit card details may have been stolen. Even asked LEGO whether I should contact the person who was billed, and their response was no.

I guess my point is, with sophisticated scams and indifference from eBay and LEGO, how do you vote with your feet? It seems to me next to impossible to tell what's a scam and what is not with new sets. And eBay does not adequately police their site. Right now, there are some very good auction deals for 10193, but these sellers all joined eBay in 2011 and have feedback in the single digits. They are obviously scams. But they all get bought as far as I can tell.

Same here, I sell on eBay and also take pictures of my sets and use those pics, not just show a catalog pic of it.. I still say be wary of people who do not have an actual pic of the item.. Yes I know they could take a pic from another seller, etc, etc.. but most of the scams seem to have a catalog pic of the item with multiples.....

• ChompersChompers Member Posts: 648
    edited October 2011
    ^ Totally agree a picture of the physical set for sale is a big bonus and helps alot + I will only buy this way. I sure if this scamming continues eBay will have to act maybe even making sellers put their eBay ID in the photo.
  • dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,112
    I use stock pictures, mostly because it's just easier. But having read the above, I'm going to start taking my own pictures for my listings - thanks!
  • LegogeekLegogeek Orange County, CaliforniaMember Posts: 711
    I've always been leary of sellers that use stock photos. As a buyer I view stock photos as items coming from a business (versus a private seller), or someone that doesn't actually have the product in hand. I think of sellers that use stock photos as being lazy.... strictly in it for a profit. As a seller, I always take photos of my actual items on hand - I feel it is a small gesture on a sellers part to make the auction more personal. Of course, the fact that someone uses an 'actual' photo is no gaurantee either. I've read of pleanty of cases where someone stole another seller's photo. Bottom line...buyer beware... always do some research before bidding on anything.
  • LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409
    Just to follow up, turns out my address got flagged with Lego because of my eBay purchases that were drop shipped from Lego using different bill to addresses.

Just called Lego, as an online order would not go through, told me to call customer service, but did they want the details? Nope, they just took my order over the phone, reset my account, and moved on.

So telling Lego doesn't seem to help, I doubt eBay cares either. Shame really...
  • FattehFatteh Member Posts: 21
    It's a method of getting cash out of a credit account when you only have the card details - not the PIN. Given how common this seems to be with LEGO alone, I imagine the extent of the problem across all online auctions sites is becoming immense and very difficult to deal with as it is nearly indistinguishable from legitimate trading. How many millions of users had their card details stripped from the Playstation Network again?
    The only real solution is to have eBay require ID proof to sell, as in attach every account to a SSN, DL#, and credit profile.

Not fool proof either, but much harder to scam I would think.
  • MinifigsMeMinifigsMe Member Posts: 2,842
    or if lego use verified by visa or some such password thing. a pain, but needed.
    The verified by visa and the MasterCard secure code are both fine by me, no pain to me if hey make shopping online safer.
    Of course, the fact that someone uses an 'actual' photo is no gaurantee either. I've read of pleanty of cases where someone stole another seller's photo. Bottom line...buyer beware... always do some research before bidding on anything.
    I saw someone do that with one of my auctions and I reported them to eBay (yes that goes against eBay TOS now)
  • macmonmacmon Member Posts: 80
    Sorry to be clueless guys on this topic. But since I buy bought from ebay and lego I got interested on this topic. However I got lost on the meaning of ebay drop shipping from lego. How is the mechanics of this? thanks and sorry again if I cut the discussion.
    edited October 2011
    (Correct me if I am wrong fellas)Drop shipping is when you pay for an item through someone but the item is delivered straight from a Company, not from the individual.
  • JP3804JP3804 Member Posts: 332
    ^That is correct. The ones that I had a problem with were bought on ebay. The product shipped from Lego, Target etc. but the packing slip said it was sold to a third person. legitament drop shippers name will be on the packing slip.
  • M11k4M11k4 Member Posts: 5
    This is how it can work. Someone sells an item on eBay that's available from Lego.com. You buy the item and pay the seller, maybe with Paypal. He gets the money but orders the product from Lego using someone else's credit card details. You get what you wanted, but someone else gets screwed.

-Miika
  • bahnstormerbahnstormer Member Posts: 180
    well thor , you could try looking at a current thread rather than dragging one back from the dead:

http://www.bricksetforum.com/discussion/2065/how-is-this-being-offered
  • LostInTranslationLostInTranslation UKMember Posts: 5,456
    edited December 2011
    ^ To be fair, the title of that thread does not explicitly mention fraudulent deals or eBay. Given the recent dodginess of the search function, I'm impressed Thor860 managed to find 3 relevant threads to resurrect :-)

Edit: this one too. Man, there are a lot, aren't there? Thor is going to be one busy dude...
    http://www.bricksetforum.com/discussion/1754/lego-com-orders-cancelled-without-reason
  • brickmaticbrickmatic Member Posts: 1,071
    Contacted eBay immediately and followed up with them several times. The seller is still selling on eBay with great feedback. I also contacted LEGO directly (and state attorney general's office). As far as I can tell, they've done nothing either. Everyone, including LEGO, said keep the set and we'll deal with it. It's now been more than 3 weeks. I'm a bit cynical, and feel really bad for the person whose credit card details may have been stolen. Even asked LEGO whether I should contact the person who was billed, and their response was no.
    @DaddyWhale What did the Attorney General's office say? Also, now that it is December, any updates on that situation in general?
  • DaddyWhaleDaddyWhale Member Posts: 130
    edited December 2011
    ^^^

I actually can't remember what the AG's office told me. They did not seem that interested.

I've not heard anything from LEGO or eBay. Before responding to your question, I did check to see whether the seller was still selling on eBay. He/she still is. In fact he/she got another positive feedback _yesterday_ from someone who paid $145 (and I presume free shipping) for the $200 8043.

• brickmaticbrickmatic Member Posts: 1,071
    Wow. You would think there would be more interest is stopping credit card fraud.
  • romdamromdam Member Posts: 136
    My situation I contacted ecrator and they never responded, twice. I did get my money back but he is making a TON of money on ecrator.
  • StuBoyStuBoy New ZealandMember Posts: 623
    For those that buy on Bricklink, this seller looks highly suspicious:
    http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=yourasik&itemID=28938819

Even states the item ships from Olive Branch, MS

I'm sure there are plenty more on Bricklink, but this is the first I've stumbled upon.
  • CoolsplashCoolsplash Member Posts: 935
    Too many stores open and close on Bricklink. The operators mainly try to trap anyone with offers which are too good to be true.
  • choob99choob99 Member Posts: 147
    I got caught in a scam on ebay, got the item, I emailed Thor from lego who posted in the announcement thread about this, but never heard back from him