Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

LEGO Star Wars - Ultra Builds (2015)

AdzbadboyAdzbadboy London, UKMember Posts: 2,625
edited January 2015 in Collecting
A few days ago, The Brick Fan reported that there will be some new LEGO Star Wars Character Construction sets coming this September/October which were seen at the 2015 Nuremberg Toy Fair. There’s a new report coming out of ToyArk that names the characters in the wave including Jedi Luke Skywalker, Darth Vader, Jango Fett, Commander Cody, Clone Wars Obi-Wan, and General Grieveous. However, this conflicts with the report by Promo Bricks because they mentioned Boba Fett would be in the wave instead of Jango. We’ll see in the near future of which Mandalorian we’ll be getting.

Star Wars (75107) – £14.99
Star Wars (75108) – £14.99
Star Wars (75109) – £19.99
Star Wars (75110) – £19.99
Star Wars (75111) – £24.99
Star Wars (75112) – £29.99

I find it odd that several sets are coming out of LEGO's productions with similar or similar to LEGO Ideas submissions by fans, The Brick Show made a video a few years back with pictures of the concepts by Pekko:

I personally think LEGO always have hundreds of ideas and this happened to be one of them. Like the Helicarrier, I'm pretty sure LEGO had passion to release a large Helicarrier set back in 2010/2011 but I guess they thought they could wait until they get a positive response from fans on the new 'Super Heroes' theme and now LEGO and Marvel have a larger fan base so this year LEGO thought was a better time to release a Helicarrier set before things get dark in future movies.

What's your thoughts on the new Star Wars Ultra Build sets? What do you think of the conflict between similar LEGO products and LEGO Ideas projects?

Source: http://www.thebrickfan.com/#sthash.0QzJanTs.dpuf
Andor

Comments

• CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,955
    I don't have an issue at all with similarity between ideas projects and future lego sets. Much of the stuff on there is licensed or copied from other lego sets anyway, or a natural progression of what lego is likely to make. Those SW figures are really just copies of the idea behind the Super Hero ones updated to look like SW ones. I don't see why the creator of the idea should get any credit for it. There is also an argument that they are updates of the old buildable figures like #8010.
  • graphitegraphite USMember Posts: 3,242
    These are interesting. I'd probably pick them up since they are different and are SW. The C3PO one in the video looks odd though. C3PO on steroids. The video definitely shows Boba and not Jango.
  • david325david325 Member Posts: 138
    It's perfect for Lego. Get fans to create Lego sets and get people to vote for them. Not only do you get tonnes of new ideas, you get to find out which are popular and hey, people will even design them for you, completely free of charge. Then all you do is say it didn't pass the process, alter it slightly and bring it out anyway. You already know at least 10,000 people thought it was a good idea...

Lego don't have hundreds of ideas. That's the reason they nearly went under. They rely on trends, licenses and new ideas from fans. If they've found a way to get the general Lego buying public to design sets that sell free of charge, then it's a win to them.
  • CapnRex101CapnRex101 United KingdomAdministrator Posts: 2,276
    LEGO originally closed down this project as it could not acquire the appropriate licenses to sell figures by themselves, hence Star Wars CMFs were not possible among other things.

It therefore surprises me that LEGO are apparently producing their own series as I would have thought this would conflict with Hasbro's arrangement for producing Star Wars action figures. The Constraction figures themselves probably wouldn't interest me very much as I doubt they could capture a sufficient level of detail. However, I am fascinated to hear more about these as it suggests that something has changed in how Star Wars is licensed to Hasbro.
  • woony2woony2 UKMember Posts: 336
    Sorry but that's nonsense when applied to any IP that TLG already have a license for. The images already exist in the films / tv / comics and TLG just image them in brick form. Submitting them on ideas is mostly futile. Those ultra builds are along the same lines as things they have done before like the bigger Chima/SH characters or construct a Buzz or Zurg from toy story.
    If a completely new idea was to appear on ideas, be rejected after reaching 10000, and then produced by TLG that would be a different matter of course.
    Hence why ideas should be predominately for original content, but people are lazy.
    BumblepantsCrowkillersAdzbadboycollect_thatdougtsMurstenson
  • CrowkillersCrowkillers Member Posts: 757
    Lego Cuusoo(or ideas) had stated that they didn't want anything submitted that had to do with a current I.P. they already had, but yet they constantly allow for current themed I.P. projects to be submitted... I don't get it...
  • AdzbadboyAdzbadboy London, UKMember Posts: 2,625

Lego Cuusoo(or ideas) had stated that they didn't want anything submitted that had to do with a current I.P. they already had, but yet they constantly allow for current themed I.P. projects to be submitted... I don't get it...

They probably do it on purpose to see how what people want, just like movie studios who leak their own stuff to see peoples reactions.
  • TarDomoTarDomo FinlandMember Posts: 515
    I'm really looking forward these. I'm not sure if I'm going to get any of those 'cause this year is so full of interesting star wars stuff from the upcomimg movie till cool lego SW sets.

I'm gonna buy Slave 1 as some other such big sets like the Ewok Village which I think is going to retire after this year. I'm so looking forward the battle droid carrier even just for the droids. I would like to buy a few of those but at the same time I'm thinking 'no I get the droids much cheaper from bricklink or even from ebay'.

And my first big MOC will take a lot of time and money.

I'm interested but only going to buy these if I really want them. Decisions.
    Andor
  • AndorAndor United StatesMember Posts: 252
    Even though I am not a huge Stars Wars fan these constraction figures look promising.
    @graphite I don't know if it is just me, but I clearly saw Bobba and Jango Fett. Bobba at the beginning of the figures showcase and Jango at the end.
    I really wish TLG would make some Lord of the Rings and Hobbit Constraction Figures.
  • graphitegraphite USMember Posts: 3,242
    ^ you're right. For whatever reason I blew right by that thinking that was Cody.
    Andor
  • TarDomoTarDomo FinlandMember Posts: 515
    @Andor Yep. Gollum would be cool.
    Andor
  • AndorAndor United StatesMember Posts: 252
    Not a problem. And I would have to agree with about C-3PO He does look like he has been using some stimulants. @graphite
  • AanchirAanchir United StatesMember Posts: 2,822
    I'm excited for this range, though it surprises me a bit that LEGO could even swing this considering that it seems like the kind of thing guaranteed to get Hasbro breathing down their neck. It's a great brand fit — Star Wars has a lot of great robotic characters, armored characters, and alien characters who could be depicted nicely as LEGO action figures, and everybody knows Star Wars action figures have a reputation for printing money.

A lot of my personal interest in the line will of course come from the possibility of new constraction parts to use in MOCs! But I'm also interested in seeing how well the characters are realized, and perhaps what other Star Wars characters I might be able to build using the same scale and design language. I'm also curious if some of the new parts seen in the summer BIONICLE sets, like the new 5M beams used on some of the skull warriors, might be shared by this new Star Wars range, since Star Wars has more than its fair share of droids with bony limbs!
    Andor
  • ryjayryjay Member Posts: 1,001
    I kinda like these, all depends on the price point when they hit the shelves.

As far as licensing go with Hasbro and Lego, Disney is the one calling the shots...and both Hasbro and Lego are happy to have access to Disney's products. Personally I think if LEGO ever went public or agreed to sell, Disney would buy it.