Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Modular Buildings

THowe1960THowe1960 Member Posts: 17
edited February 2015 in Collecting
New here and love Legos!
My new addiction is Modular Buildings,
I recently assembled the Detective Office and Parisian Restaurant is almost completed.
My next building is the Grand Emporium when it arrives.
I'm also looking for the Town Hall if anyone has one at a reasonable price.
eBay is flooded with over priced sets and I cann afford them....retired or not.
I'll also be buying the Palace Cinema next order!

Anyone else into these buildings I would love to see and hear what you think.

Comments

• THowe1960THowe1960 Member Posts: 17
    Detective Office&Parisian Restaurant
  • thehornedratthehornedrat Member Posts: 86
    The panic rush at ebay is dying down, so hopefully you should be able to pick up a Town Hall soon, but bear in mind resellers and other modular builder completists didn't have time to stock up, so prices may remain elevated somewhat! Good luck! Its truly an enjoyable experience to build these!
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 18,214
    THowe1960 said:

I'm also looking for the Town Hall if anyone has one at a reasonable price.
    eBay is flooded with over priced sets and I cann afford them....retired or not.

If they are selling, then they are not overpriced. If you really want to get into collecting any popular series of lego once some of them have retired, then you are going to have to get used to paying way more than RRP for the retired ones. If you cannot afford them, then buy current ones only.
    MrJ_NYSethro3
  • TarDomoTarDomo FinlandMember Posts: 515
    These are cool and I´m also thinking of buying Detective´s Office though´my number 1 interest is Star Wars. These look so nice, a lot better than City stuff that is more for kids in my opinion. But there´s no point to buy one modular building so I´m not that sure about starting to buy these. And why do the characters still have yellow faces?
  • jdylakjdylak Member Posts: 281
    Why are the heads still yellow??? Why is the sun yellow, the sky blue? Because they should be.
    Thanos75squarebear47Andorlego007
  • LegoTTLegoTT Member Posts: 479
    TarDomo said:

These are cool and I´m also thinking of buying Detective´s Office though´my number 1 interest is Star Wars. These look so nice, a lot better than City stuff that is more for kids in my opinion. But there´s no point to buy one modular building so I´m not that sure about starting to buy these. And why do the characters still have yellow faces?

You won't find a more enjoyable build, in my opinion, than modulars at this point. The only exception being some of the UCS Star Wars stuff. That said, there are four currently on the market. Parisian Restaurant, Cinema Palace, Pet Shop, and the Detective's Office. The Pet Shop is the oldest- you should pick that up first in case it retires soon. After that, I'd work my way back up to the DO. That way you can snag the ones on the market today.

Of course, if you don't want to collect them all- buy the one or two that you like the most!

bigjsdAndor
    @jdylak‌ But they would look more realistic with the skin colored heads in my opinion. Star Wars stopped making the yellow heads over 10 years ago because they wanted the minifigures to look same as the characters in the movies. Maybe to those people who started collecting SW those days when the heads were yellow, the yellow heads have the nostalgy. I started collecting in 2006-2007 so I don´t miss them. I have two old sets from my chilhood with the yellow heads but it never was a big part of my Lego hobby.

What comes to Lego City, I like the yellow heads. The minifigs have been yellow heads since ever so it would make a lot people upset if TLG would change them. And as I said before, they are more for kids. Many kids think the minifigs are fun because of the yellow heads. And the adults who collect city, they like the nostalgy of the yellow heads.

The modulars are another thing. They are like City sets for adults: same idea but bigger, harder to build and more for display than play though they include some play features. They are not as old as the hills, they can be updated. This is my personal opinion only but I prefer the realistic heads like the SW heads nowadays.
    @LegoTT‌ I think I´m more and more wanting to buy them... will see
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 18,214
    TarDomo said:

@jdylak‌ But they would look more realistic with the skin colored heads in my opinion.

What comes to Lego City, I like the yellow heads. The minifigs have been yellow heads since ever so it would make a lot people upset if TLG would change them. And as I said before, they are more for kids. Many kids think the minifigs are fun because of the yellow heads. And the adults who collect city, they like the nostalgy of the yellow heads.

The modulars are another thing. They are like City sets for adults: same idea but bigger, harder to build and more for display than play though they include some play features. They are not as old as the hills, they can be updated. This is my personal opinion only but I prefer the realistic heads like the SW heads nowadays.

What colour is skin?

The whole point of being yellow skins for non-licensed sets is that you can use them all together and the whole of society is race free - modulars, city, themes such as Atlantis or Monster Fighters, CMF series ... even when you get the occasional racial stereotype in CMF (such as the Native Americans) they still have the same yellow skins as every other citizen.
    Andor
  • MrJ_NYMrJ_NY A flick missle away from Brickagara FallsMember Posts: 592
    edited January 2015
    @THowe1960 Wait until you see what a Town Hall sells for at this time next year. Today's prices will seem quite reasonable :wink: I've watches auctions end where they paid just about as much as they're asking for new/sealed ones.
    @CCC I don´t know the exact name of the color of skin. What is it called? I understand your point, that´s true too but as I said, it was just my opinion. I don´t mix the sets so I don´t care about that feature so much. But I understand that some people want to do that. Personally I just don´t like the yellow heads, they look childish. I would prefer that there would be the "skin" colored heads in the modular sets to make them look more realistic.
  • ShibShib UKMember Posts: 5,261
    @TarDomo - It's easy enough to switch them by bricklinking some heads and hands if you prefer fleshies, it'll cost you a bit more. While I prefer building with fleshies I think TLG have been smart to keep yellow figs for non licenced themes, it's an instantly recognisable Lego feature.
    TarDomoAdzbadboyAndor
    @Shib‌ yep that´s why they do it
  • NickF22NickF22 United KingdomMember Posts: 421
    It's also because "skin" isn't always pink...
  • vwong19vwong19 San DiegoMember Posts: 1,179
    I guess you could say there are a few other people into modulars. I think they compliment City vehicles and trains well.

My advise is to buy and build the Town Hall ASAP because you have the idea in your mind. It will continue to rise and you will be kicking yourself when it rises to $500 and beyond. If you buy it and leave it unopened it will continue to appreciate and you will NOT want to crack the seals.

If you afford 4-5 modulars already, then I think Town Hall is within your reach. Personally Town Hall pales in comparison to many of the other modulars.
    LegoKippharmjod
  • Sethro3Sethro3 United StatesMember Posts: 819
    I actually really liked the Town Hall...although I do have plans to remodel it a bit. The elevator is a fun touch. The colors are great. Some fun details inside. But no modular is "perfect" to me, so I modify all of them anymore. LEGO designers have limitations, whereas I do not.

And I love licensed minifigures, so that skin tone works well. But that is what I love about the modulars. The classic smiley is so perfect. That was my childhood, so it brings me back. I don't particularly care for other yellow facial expressions, but I like the classic smiley.
    Andor
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFWMember Posts: 6,102
    ^^I like the dinosaur running loose in your town
    Ordered the Palace Cimema and Pet Shop today!
    These are addicting as the Star Wars.....
  • klatu003klatu003 Hobbiton, Shire, Middle EarthMember Posts: 721
    ^ But, much easier to display.
  • squarebear47squarebear47 Ohio - USAMember Posts: 29
    Good job ordering the Pet Shop now. IMO it will be highly sought after in the future, and it is a very fun build.

I had a great time making custom interiors for the the modulars as well. Some of the newer ones have at least one well detailed floor, but the older ones like PS and GE both have tons of room for interior customization.
    Just finished building the modular buildings I have...this was fun!
    LegoKipMrJ_NYGoldchains
  • GreenArrow57GreenArrow57 GBMember Posts: 71
    For myself, it was because I saw the modulars that got me back into Lego in the first place. I adore them! All my friends remark on them when they visit; I keep them on display. Only one problem - you can't buy just one!
  • vwong19vwong19 San DiegoMember Posts: 1,179

For myself, it was because I saw the modulars that got me back into Lego in the first place. I adore them! All my friends remark on them when they visit; I keep them on display. Only one problem - you can't buy just one!

Yes, I agree. You can't buy one of each!
  • piratemania7piratemania7 New EnglandMember Posts: 2,097
    ^I buy two copies. One to build and display and the other to keep unopened in box.
  • bp10030bp10030 europeMember Posts: 102
    One aspect is also interesting to get the TH soon and not later. The new modulares are all not that tall they were earlier. And the TH is the tallest of all!
  • ecmo47ecmo47 North CarolinaMember Posts: 2,101
    ^ That's why you BL extra floors! I think there are 7 in this picture.
    Pitfall69BuriedinBricksBuzzsawMilseyGoldchainsZon
    Here are all the Modular Buildings I've completed so far.
    Very pleased with all of them.
    Can't wait to see what Lego Modular building is coming next!
    What's your guess?
  • LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,727
    ^ I have never heard anyone ask that question an anticipated 10 months ahead of release date. ;-)
    Pitfall69Andor
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,401
    Legoboy said:

^ I have never heard anyone ask that question an anticipated 10 months ahead of release date. ;-)

Oh boy, I cannot wait to speculate on what the next Modular will be for the next 10 months. Where's that thread? ;)

Andor
    Another Modular in October? Missed that news.
    ecmo47 said:

Another Modular in October? Missed that news.

What calendar are you using?

LegoTT
    There's a calendar? Really, I have no idea what your referring too.
    ecmo47 said:

There's a calendar? Really, I have no idea what your referring too.

It is as if you have morphed into @piratemania7 ;)

My sources tell me that the next modular will be a Speedorz shop and have 4 floors showcasing every sort of Speedorz from the last couple years. In this way they hope to finally sell out of all that crap. It will also be smaller than the DO and cost more.
    klatu003
  • klatu003klatu003 Hobbiton, Shire, Middle EarthMember Posts: 721
    ^and minidolls.....
  • binaryeyebinaryeye USMember Posts: 1,734
    ^^ I might be interested if it looked like this.
    BrickDancerAdzbadboyBuriedinBricksklatu003
    ^wow that is nice! Still would rather sell something else though.
    Legoboy said:

And now you have, surprised you took the time to post this remark.
    Has a new thread been started for said subject?
    AndorMordoor
  • Vindic8edVindic8ed Member Posts: 163
    edited February 2015
    Here's an outdated pictures of the modulars I had built. I have the Parisian Restaurant and the Detective's Office to go along with it (none of them are build atm though). I have a bunch of city sets I eventually want to add to make the whole thing come to life.

EDIT: That doesn't seem to work, here's the Flickr link:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/15318790988/
  • BrickDancerBrickDancer Dunes of TatooineMember Posts: 3,639
    I think the picture function is broke today. Tried posting a pic earlier in the morning using multiple devices and got the same error as you. Noticed members mentioning the same on other thread.
  • EKSamEKSam Member Posts: 349
    Does anyone know how long before the newly released modular show up at other retailers like Amazon, target.com etc?
    ^ the Detective's Office was/is available at Amazon. A simple Google search should answer your question.
    ^ I am not asking about third party sellers on Amazon.
    ^I think [email protected] has exclusives for 3 months before other retailers are allowed to carry them.
    Pitfall69EKSamklatu003AndorFollowsClosely
    ^ you didn't specify
    edited February 2015
    Thanks @Bumblepants, the info is much appreciated.:-)
  • sash501sash501 Member Posts: 28
    I must say that although I've limited myself to UCS sets (otherwise I'd be broke)  these are very tempting.  Am I correct that there are only 4 to date and all still available?

What do y'all do with your builds when complete?  Break down or leave set up on display?