Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Blocks magazine - changes at the helm

BooTheMightyHamsterBooTheMightyHamster Northern edge of London, just before the dragons...Member Posts: 1,454
Following on from the news that Mark Guest is leaving Blocks magazine, there's now an article on the front page about the search for a new editor.

I've already had my wrist metaphorically slapped for making a few flippant comments, so I shall keep this serious.

Blocks was a significant 'thing' in the UK (and wider) Lego world, and despite my much-vocalised complaints about the state of the proofreading in the earliest issues, I think they've settled down remarkably quickly into a good quality magazine. Print is never going to keep up with digital in terms of breaking news, so to my mind they pitched it well, with a mix of articles that would stand the test of time, such as lighting your models, history of sets and building techniques.

As a two-year subscriber, I have a vested interest in them continuing, but that aside, I really do hope that they find a new editor soon, and carry on the good work they've started.
alexwilLegoKipjon_kGothamConstructionCoMojoestslyreptileAdeelZubairAndor

Comments

• plasmodiumplasmodium UKMember Posts: 1,950
    I'd like to see how it goes. At the moment, I have no particular desire to subscribe to it, as I can get any news in it from Brickset, and I can see reviews, MOCs etc elsewhere on the internet. However, I am very much rooting for it's success, and I'd love to see it become something that I do want to buy!
    Andor
  • legomattlegomatt Member Posts: 2,548
    Has the blocks magazine website been dumped/nuked too? I went there to see if there was any online editorial regarding these developments, but I'm just getting a blank screen.
  • iso3200iso3200 97 miles from Brickset TowersMember Posts: 2,063
    Working for me. Just been updated with the latest issue cover. Maybe they were doing that when you looked.
    legomatt
  • legomattlegomatt Member Posts: 2,548
    Ah... it must be just me (or rather the old machine/browser I'm using is failing to display the site). Cheers @iso3200
  • jon_kjon_k UKMember Posts: 233
    @ boo,

I had an extremely long chat with Mark at Steam and it was clear at that time that Blocks was going to try be something new and fresh and draw to all corners of the lego market, I did make comment in a thread about what you thought about Blocks when it first came out, and what I would like to see, and feel that those who dont follow the crowd would be catered for, and I gauged from the conversation that this magazine was going to mix it up a bit..

I did see some of the flip remark and they struck a cord, I think the most obvious was is Blocks going to be another Brickset, well is part the way there in my opinion ..

I am rather disappointed that Mark has left and I hope and wish him good fortune in what ever he does, but now I see it could end up going down a road that for me who has subscribed to,so I have a vested interest, would rather it didnt, and with Mark no longer at the helm.. well that's going to be another story..

As with all things things have to move on, but brickset/blocks the magazine.?. no thanks

• deephorsedeephorse West Yorkshire, U.K.Member Posts: 83
    I liked issues 1 and 2 of Blocks and so decided to subscribe. It hit the target for me. Not everyone is as knowledgable about or expert on LEGO as many posters on this forum appear to me to be. Blocks pitches it just right. A bit of new, a bit of old, interviews, techniques etc. it's not dependant upon a wi-fi signal either so I can read it when and where I want. I really hope it goes from strength to strength.
    BooTheMightyHamsterLegoKip
  • slyreptileslyreptile United StatesMember Posts: 15
    I'm rooting for it. I've purchased the first three issues and the launch issue, but have not subscribed. Being in the US, it is really hard to swallow $150+ on a one year subscription. It does save money over buying individual issues, but for now, that's what I'm doing until we see where this goes.
  • JdslaterJdslater Member Posts: 59
    Just picked up issue 4 from WHS. It has Slave 1 on the cover.
  • monkey_roomonkey_roo Member Posts: 1,411
    I must say I do like the magazine thus far. I chose to take out a 1 year subscription and see how it went.

I have no idea what might or might not have gone on in the office to persuade an editor to move on so quickly after launch and when such a lot of hard work had been done to bring it to life.

My biggest worry has always been what service is it providing in the 21st century? With so much print media dyeing out how can a new one survive. Wether you like it or not one of the best magazines currently is Empire, but for that to work its articles and content are tied tightly to their website and their digital magazine is extremely good. So to read a comment that Blocks and Brickset may come closer together does make sense.

Also Empire manages to break news throuh exclusive interviews that get shown online in snippets but in full in the magazines, which means their magazines are giving the reader something they can't get anywhere else, and that is the point.

As much as I love looking at the pictures and reading bits there really is nothing in Blocks that is new. I would urge Blocks to get closer to Lego themselves, interviews with specific designers, exlusive behind the scense images, maybe even world exclusives etc. mix that in with the good fan based stuff and set reviews and I think they will really add value. Right now it is good enough to run the year and I love the images they have and the set reviews, but ultimately I have yet to see or read anything I didn't already know about, of which I think 90% of the knowing came from hanging out on this forum, which loops back to why I can see the sense in Blocks and Brickset becoming aligned in some way, but for me getting in with TLG is the key to surviving.

But all said, it was a hell of a thing to get up and running and i am glad they did.
    Andor
  • JdslaterJdslater Member Posts: 59
    You raise some good points Monkey, I like reading the magazine on the train as I hate getting out my iPad on the train.
    This month has a great article on lighting. Also the Peter Brookdale interview has some great pictures of the AT-AT which look better on a page then a screen.