Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Amazon to Start Collecting IL Sales Tax

Rainstorm26Rainstorm26 Chicago Burbs USA (and sometimes Ireland)Member Posts: 1,004
http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/breaking/ct-amazon-sales-tax-illinois-0124-biz-2-20150123-story.html

If you were planning on buying Lego from Amazon and live in IL, your tax free days are numbered. Still 6.25% is better than paying the 10% Crook County tax though.

Comments

• RennyRenny USAMember Posts: 1,143
    Ah well, it was nice while it lasted.
  • BigKidBigKid Member Posts: 29
    Add Michigan to the list as well, starts in October 2015.

BigKid
    Pitfall69
  • ReliantReliant Member Posts: 68
    Horrible news :(
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,374
    I'm trying to figure out how all of these states are getting around all the interstate commerce laws??
  • ChgoMattChgoMatt USAMember Posts: 108
    Starts Feb. 1 in IL - we have a week to shop.
  • thenosthenos Twin Cities, MNMember Posts: 388
    edited January 2015
    Amazon has been opening various warehouses to do quicker shipping to people. They did it in Minnesota. I haven't received anything from the closer warehouse, and in fact have ordered less from them since stores price match pretty routinely these days. Amazon hasn't been the price leader anyway with LEGO this year either. They have become very (slowly) reactionary to Walmart and Target. Other than the video service, I'm thinking about canceling my prime. In some ways they seem like they're trying to be Earth's largest mail order catalog.
    True, Walmart had a sale on the Mos Eisley Cantina and Amazon matched it. I do have a few subscriptions that make it cheaper than most stores, but Amazon will need to lower their prices by an average of 6-10% to make up the sales tax or else they will lose a ton of business.
    On the other hand, I think Amazon wants to be a presence in every state and what will make people choose Amazon is so they won't ever have to leave their home, even to grocery shop.
    Amazon is worth $138 Billion, but they don't make any profit.
  • oansunoansun Member Posts: 87
    My home state (KY) has pretty much always had taxes collected. I am sorry to you guys.
  • pharmjodpharmjod 1,170 miles to Wall Drug, USAMember Posts: 2,876
    Being from KY I smile when other states start paying sales tax on Amazon. Misery you know, loves company :)
    oansun
  • charlatan13charlatan13 Member Posts: 118
    Boo...good for the heads up since I knew it was coming. I, too, will have to reevaluate Prime for many of the same reasons listed above. It would be interesting to see if it really impacts their bottom line in terms of consumers actually changing their purchases as a result but as Pitfall mentioned - Amazon not making a profit never seems to be a primary concern for Bezos and company.
  • ColoradoBricksColoradoBricks Denver, CO, USAMember Posts: 1,640
    May be they would make profit if they were not researching the drone deliveries :)
    Even that happens one day, I don't think I could use that service, I live close to an Air Force Base and when the president is in town, I can see Air Force One on the tarmac, so I can't picture drones in my neighborhood...
    To be honest, in Michigan, we are supposed to pay sales tax on internet sales already, but only a small % of people do. I have been using the chart they provide on the Michigan 1040 to pay my sales tax. I cannot be bothered adding up every receipt or trying to figure out what is taxable or not. At least I pay something.
  • Rainstorm26Rainstorm26 Chicago Burbs USA (and sometimes Ireland)Member Posts: 1,004
    ^same in Illinois.
    Pitfall69
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,351
    Oh well, Amazon still discounts most of their stuff better than most retailers so Im not crying too much over this news.