Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

"Architecture" Expert sets

Vindic8edVindic8ed Member Posts: 163
Statue of Liberty - 2000
Eiffel Tower - 2007
Taj Mahal - 2008
Tower Bridge - 2010
Sydney Opera House - 2013

Any guesses as to if/when/what the next set will be?

Comments

• bigjsdbigjsd Member Posts: 62
    Let's hope it's better than the horrible looking SOH. Another world class tower would be great or a piece of far eastern architecture.
  • prevereprevere North of Bellville, East of Heartlake, South of Bricksburg, West of Ninjago City Member Posts: 2,883
    Pick one of the best stadiums in the world... that would suffice.
  • T_LarsT_Lars USAMember Posts: 104
    Tokyo Tower, 2016.
  • LegobrandonCPLegobrandonCP CanadaMember Posts: 1,912
    Parliament Hill in Ottawa would be a wonderful set. But I have a feeling the general market would be Canadians.
  • TechnicNickTechnicNick Berkshire, UKMember Posts: 277
    Sagrada Familia - if done right - would be epic.
    Daragh
  • TechnicNickTechnicNick Berkshire, UKMember Posts: 277
    ... only it's a religious building... damn!
  • AdzbadboyAdzbadboy London, UKMember Posts: 2,626
    bigjsd said:

Let's hope it's better than the horrible looking SOH. Another world class tower would be great or a piece of far eastern architecture.

WOW! How can you say that? Jaime's design for the Sydney Opera House was spectacular, that model took them several years to design and you can clearly see that the effort that it took to achieve the look and the complex curves as well as making is stable and sturdy.

You could have said it doesn't appeal to me (you) compared to other LEGO models. That was the same reason for me, realistically I could not fork out £250 for something that looks boring but that's how the iconic landmark is and comparing it with the actual opera house they done a superb job, as a however as a LEGO model it doesn't appeal to you because it's simple or dull?
    MODVLEX
  • BooTheMightyHamsterBooTheMightyHamster Northern edge of London, just before the dragons...Member Posts: 1,308
    Was just coming in to say 'Sagrada Familia' but @TechnicNick‌ beat me to it.
    Kings Cross station would be good, but after the work it's had done, as much of the interesting architecture is on the inside, which wouldn't translate well to a Lego set.

Castle Neuschwanstein would be great, although the greebling would take ages!

LegoKipSirBenPaperballparkklatu003snowhitie
  • Vindic8edVindic8ed Member Posts: 163
    That would be my vote ^. There's a pretty cool one on Ideas:
    https://ideas.lego.com/projects/1128
  • Vindic8edVindic8ed Member Posts: 163
    If cathedral's could be done another interesting one would be (especially for a variety of colored parts) ST Basil's in Russia.
  • GalactusGalactus NLMember Posts: 255

Isn't the Taj Mahal a religious building?

I would like to see how LEGO would design a Mt. Rushmore, but this probably won't happen. To monochrome and maybe not enough appeal globally.

Something from the ancient wonders of the world could be nice.
  • TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950
    edited January 2015
    Adzbadboy said:

bigjsd said:

WOW! How can you say that? Jaime's design for the Sydney Opera House was spectacular, that model took them several years to design and you can clearly see that the effort that it took to achieve the look and the complex curves as well as making is stable and sturdy.

You could have said it doesn't appeal to me (you) compared to other LEGO models. That was the same reason for me, realistically I could not fork out £250 for something that looks boring but that's how the iconic landmark is and comparing it with the actual opera house they done a superb job, as a however as a LEGO model it doesn't appeal to you because it's simple or dull?
    He can write that because it's his opinion, even though it doesn't write it's his opinion. Just like you writing that the SOH is "spectacular." That's your opinion, and it doesn't align with his, or mine. I don't like the opera house because it appears to me as simple and dull. Some things just don't translate well to Lego, and that's one of them, in my opinion.
    AdzbadboyPaperballparkbinaryeye
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 18,215
    Galactus said:

Isn't the Taj Mahal a religious building?

No, it is a mausoleum.
    Jern92
  • Farmer_JohnFarmer_John USA - 4,035 Miles from 62 West Wallaby St., Wigan, Lancashire, UKMember Posts: 2,404
    I would like to see a large scale Big Ben clock tower. Probably not going to happen since they recently (relatively speaking) released the Tower Bridge.

A close second would be a castle such as the Castle Neuschwanstein mentioned above or some other castle (Disney?).
  • mathewmathew Member Posts: 2,097
    Lego really, really needs to do an AFOL castle. There are plenty of real life ones to choose from. Neuschanwstein is an easy choice (but large). It's kind of shocking they haven't done one yet. The closest has been the Kingdom's Joust set which is more or less a gate (but a good start).

It's also a real shame Lego won't touch religious architecture. Regardless of what your beliefs are, you can respect the art and design of spiritual structures.
  • monkyby87monkyby87 Member Posts: 315
    I was kind of sad they even made
    bigjsd said:

I thought it looked cool. I don't have it, so I can't say in person what it's really like, but from the pictures I thought it was neat. Better than some I would say.
    Adzbadboy said:

bigjsd said:

I think he did the best he could, but frankly it's just an ugly model. I'm sure the Sydney Opera House in person is awe inspiring. I think it's doable in Lego form, but it would require 10,000 pieces to get it right.
    Paperballpark
  • VenunderVenunder Nottingham, UK.Member Posts: 2,506
    TLG always has a problem with big models.
    If they do a famous building with full details, the part count goes through the 5K roof.
    With more than 5K parts, the set becomes too expensive to sell enough copies to make it viable.
    So TLG have to compromise on the detail to reduce the part count to a reasonable level.
    Which makes AFOL's debate the quality of the model.

I think the Sydney Opera House is a pretty good model but I just have not found a reason to spend £250 on it.
    I could use some VIP points to reduce the cost, but unfortunately there are too many other sets I have preferred to buy.
  • LegoKipLegoKip A cottage by the sea, California, US Member Posts: 259
    @BooTheMightyHamster‌
    Neuschwanstein was the castle I had in mind, too.
    I'm all in for a castle in this theme and there are many to choose from. Why not do Rosenborg, complete with its famed gardens, so we finally have something from Lego's home country?
  • GalactusGalactus NLMember Posts: 255
    edited January 2015
    CCC said:

No, it is a mausoleum.

Ah thanks. I'd almost say I didn't know, but now I vaguely remember hearing it before. Well, my memory is not what it used to be.

The Treasury in Petra, Jordan, might be nice too. But then again, monochrome and mostly only a front...
  • KleiovousKleiovous UKMember Posts: 95
    Didn't Nanoblock do a Neuschwanstein?I can't see Lego doing the same thing, or why they need to, there's plenty of buildings in the world after all. The only trouble is finding one that is recognisable around the world. Pyramids anyone?
    Kleiovous said:

The only trouble is finding one that is recognisable around the world. Pyramids anyone?

Seriously? Anyone with a box of Lego can build a pyramid. And you are putting it above probably the most famous castle in the world? Wow.
    I already got enough copies of Ramses Pyramid too.
  • SirBenSirBen In the Hall of the Mountain KingMember Posts: 562

Castle Neuschwanstein would be great...

Especially if it came full of printed tiles of famous pieces of European artwork.
  • KleiovousKleiovous UKMember Posts: 95
    edited January 2015
    mathew said:

Seriously? Anyone with a box of Lego can build a pyramid. And you are putting it above probably the most famous castle in the world? Wow.

I was thinking more Egyptian (4th Dynasty) than Mesoamerican. i.e. smooth/studless rather than stepped
  • PaperballparkPaperballpark UK / KLMember Posts: 3,531
    I would absolutely buy a Castle Neuschwanstein set, even if it was 6000 pieces and £350. I love that castle, and would love to build it as a set.

Mind you, even if Lego did do it, it wouldn't be as good as this MOC.
    klatu003snowhitiebluedragon
  • 77ncaachamps77ncaachamps Aspiring Time Traveler Stuck in the West (US)Member Posts: 2,440

I would absolutely buy a Castle Neuschwanstein set, even if it was 6000 pieces and £350. I love that castle, and would love to build it as a set.

Mind you, even if Lego did do it, it wouldn't be as good as this MOC.

That is ONE filthy MOC!

A few that I would like to see are:

- Hagia Sophia
    - Burj Al Arab
    - The Louvre
    - The Golden Gate Bridge
    - Notre Dame
    - Angkor Wat
  • aldreddaldredd United KingdomMember Posts: 203
    I've pining for them to do the Coluseum in Rome - it's screaming to be done in Lego at that level.
  • TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950
    SirBen said:

Castle Neuschwanstein would be great...

Especially if it came full of printed tiles of famous pieces of European artwork.
    Don't take that tone with me my good man! Now buttle off and tell Baron Brunwald that Lord Clarence McDonald and his lovely assistant are here to view the tapestries!
  • byucougsbyucougs Member Posts: 38
    Notre Dame or Coluseum in Rome would get my vote.
  • SirBenSirBen In the Hall of the Mountain KingMember Posts: 562

Don't take that tone with me my good man! Now buttle off and tell Baron Brunwald that Lord Clarence McDonald and his lovely assistant are here to view the tapestries!

I was thinking that a Capt. James Rorimer minifig would be more appropriate.
  • snowhitiesnowhitie BelgiumMember Posts: 2,919
    I would also really like a colloseum! With room enough to put some cool chariots in.
  • AdzbadboyAdzbadboy London, UKMember Posts: 2,626
    I want LEGO to try and do Eiffel Tower again this time more accurate as the old one was very blocky and simplish (Yeah, It's LEGO but look what they did with Taj Mahal, Sydney Opera House and Tower Bridge. Otherwise I would like to see Big Ben, all those details amazing could be captured very well, plus It would be a towering creation like Tower of Orthanc and Eiffel Tower.
    I only ever saw the Eiffel Tower built once, and I thought it was pretty good.

I'm not sure simple is the right word, it was still almost 3500 pieces. It will always be blocky as it needs to hold itself up, unless you want to have a load of 1x1 cheese slopes or tiles to avoid studs showing. It could probably be done with new parts made specially for the structure (but who really wants that as a solution) or maybe long technic liftarms to give a smoother appearance.

I'm hoping against Big Ben (and the tower), or anything UK inspired, at least for now.
  • VenunderVenunder Nottingham, UK.Member Posts: 2,506
    The next one should really be Taipei 101.
    Although the Petronas Towers would also be great, although probably too many bricks.
    Nice slope building techniques on the first.
    Nice Round Tower construction techniques for the second.
  • SithLord196SithLord196 Member Posts: 1,157
    Probably not enough global appeal, but I'd love to see them try and do the Smithsonian Castle.
    thedingman5LegoKip
  • PlellPlell Member Posts: 192
    I seem to recall reading back when The LEGO House (4000010) was first revealed that a larger version was planned for when the building is open.
    LegoKip
  • aldreddaldredd United KingdomMember Posts: 203
    That would strike me as an odd choice - not exactly an instantly recognisable building.