Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

London Toy Fair 2015

Comments

• plasmodiumplasmodium UKMember Posts: 1,939
    ^This - does it have green/yellow/red leaves in? Cause that would be beyond cool.
  • luckie_reubsluckie_reubs Member Posts: 299
    Were there any photographs taken of the Joker set, or is this not allowed? I need to know if I should hold on to funhouse escape or not...
  • If I may jump in here, I'm sort of surprised at Chima ending.

According to a preliminary Russian video leaked at the start of 2013, Chima was only planned so far as 2015, so it doesn't seem to be a surprise ending unlike many other themes I won't bother mentioning.
  • drdavewatforddrdavewatford Hertfordshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,384
    snowhitie said:

......was hoping for some nice old school space sets....

Not really old school, although the new shuttle was fairly similar to #3367, albeit with the addition of a large external fuel tank, a pair of boosters and a mobile launching platform.

The Training Jet Transporter was somewhat reminiscent of #6346, although in the 1992 set the truck was carrying a shuttle rather than a training jet....
  • bricktuarybricktuary EuropeMember Posts: 470
    Shuttle! Yay!
  • TkattTkatt MNMember Posts: 376
    Can you say which of the Deep Sea sets has the shipwreck? I'm also curious if the wreck is modern or historical.

Is the Friends Grand Hotel truly grand? What is its color scheme?
  • legomattlegomatt Member Posts: 2,548
    edited January 2015

I've had too much caffeine!

I can't believe this isn't a theme!

Coffee people are insatiable - don't TLG do market research? ;oP
    LegoKip
  • thedingman5thedingman5 Great Lakes, USAMember Posts: 252

If I may jump in here, I'm sort of surprised at Chima ending.

According to a preliminary Russian video leaked at the start of 2013, Chima was only planned so far as 2015, so it doesn't seem to be a surprise ending unlike many other themes I won't bother mentioning.
    My kids are massive Chima fans and, indeed, the Cartoon series has ended. It had a very effective "tie up the loose ends" finale and the show was very up front about "this is the end of Chima". So, since the series was self-contained, it makes sense that the sets are as well. Finally, my kids assumed - based on the names of the 3 summer sets - that they would be the last ones. Good, funky set, and its probably best for all that it wraps up (fans like us don't have to worry about never-ending sets, non-fans will have a Chima-free world to live in :smiley: ).
  • ccjwprongsccjwprongs UKMember Posts: 87
    Tkatt said:

Can you say which of the Deep Sea sets has the shipwreck? I'm also curious if the wreck is modern or historical.

I didn't see the set name but I'm not sure any of the ones Brick Fanatics listed had it... unless it was the largest one with the boat.

It's a modern shipwreck, with the front of the hull and rear section with the cabin and some debris in between. Looks very cool and the colour scheme for the entire theme works well.
  • piratemania7piratemania7 New EnglandMember Posts: 2,097
    Cant wait for photos....
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,542
    h
    CCC said:

I guess it just ended up not being as popular as they had hoped.

Or maybe it was a planned end. It has been three years.

Ninjago was popular and yet it ended after it's given time slot. And then brought back again. Maybe Chima will return if they don't have another idea for an action theme after Ninjago has run it's second course.
    I think LEGO should have realized its mistake now with ending something popular like Ninjago. I would be surprised if Chima comes back after what apparently damaged the popularity of Ninjago with its year hiatus.

What does concern me is this apparent glut of huge, more importantly: likely expensive, sets being released. The large city set with LEGO store has me intrigued but lord knows what this one will cost in USD.
    Will it be basically a block of stores but without paying Mod prices for each store?
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 18,312
    I'm not so sure Ninjago was popular in it's first year. I don't know what the reaction time is for Lego to make changes, but Ninjago seemed to take off towards the end, rather than from the start. Thus they may have had the three year plan, and sales were OK but nothing special in year 1, so China was developed. But in the meantime Ninjago took off.
  • krklintkrklint Member Posts: 503
    Wow, Jokerland comes with Starfire! 10-year-old me went into my dark ages after discovering the Teen Titans with Starfire in their ranks. Guessing this version is a bit less sexualized, like the 2005 animated Teen Titans series than the version found in the mid-80's comics. I'm glad to see/hear that members of the Teen Titans and the L.E.G.I.O.N. of Superheroes are appearing, and not just the Justice League.

Also glad to hear that at least one Ant Man set will exist.

Can't wait to see R2-D2 as a reindeer. I've come to really enjoy these quirky holiday versions of star wars minifigs.
  • faefrostfaefrost Member Posts: 7

h

CCC said:

I guess it just ended up not being as popular as they had hoped.

Or maybe it was a planned end. It has been three years.

Ninjago was popular and yet it ended after it's given time slot. And then brought back again. Maybe Chima will return if they don't have another idea for an action theme after Ninjago has run it's second course.
    I think LEGO should have realized its mistake now with ending something popular like Ninjago. I would be surprised if Chima comes back after what apparently damaged the popularity of Ninjago with its year hiatus.

What does concern me is this apparent glut of huge, more importantly: likely expensive, sets being released. The large city set with LEGO store has me intrigued but lord knows what this one will cost in USD.
    Will it be basically a block of stores but without paying Mod prices for each store?
    The thing is Ninjago took off in ways that TLG never anticipated, gaining some strange fan bases like college aged men. Chima seemed to skew younger and while a success never really left or spread beyond its planned target audience.
  • faefrostfaefrost Member Posts: 7
    CCC said:

I'm not so sure Ninjago was popular in it's first year. I don't know what the reaction time is for Lego to make changes, but Ninjago seemed to take off towards the end, rather than from the start. Thus they may have had the three year plan, and sales were OK but nothing special in year 1, so China was developed. But in the meantime Ninjago took off.

I think it is more after Bionacle Lego set a policy to try and limit story themes to three years, to avoid the theme becoming too massive and convoluted for newcommers. They didn't want the themes to collapse under their own weight the way Bionacle sort of did at the end. Better to start fresh every few years with a whole new thing to jump aboard. At least that was the plan... Until it hit the Lego Mom's.

So both Ninjago and Chima were specifically planned for three years in advance. It just feels like Chima will stick to that as it is a much more character heavy ever increasing mass. Ninjago with it's smaller more Sentai like core of characters is less hampered by its ever evolving story. The core elements are basic enough to pick up at a glance.
  • ccjwprongsccjwprongs UKMember Posts: 87
    krklint said:

Can't wait to see R2-D2 as a reindeer. I've come to really enjoy these quirky holiday versions of star wars minifigs.

Reindeer R2 was a little disappointing... just a regular R2 with brick-built antlers as far as I could see. Santa 3PO was similarly just a regular 3PO with a beard. The only new part was the printed torso (not sure about the legs).
  • Jern92Jern92 MalaysiaMember Posts: 815
    I can't seem to open the BrickFanatics report. Anyone else having this problem?
  • RevBluesRevBlues Member Posts: 117

...the new shuttle was fairly similar to #3367...

Well that's disappointing. #3367 was awful.

And trains. Trains. I want trains.

Redbullgivesuwind
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 18,312

krklint said:

Reindeer R2 was a little disappointing... just a regular R2 with brick-built antlers as far as I could see. Santa 3PO was similarly just a regular 3PO with a beard. The only new part was the printed torso (not sure about the legs).
    That sounds a little lame.
  • binaryeyebinaryeye USMember Posts: 1,734
    faefrost said:

And trains. Trains. I want trains.

The trains in the City line were just updated last year, so I don't expect we'll be seeing any new trains from the various toy fairs.
    madforLEGO
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFWMember Posts: 6,157
    Well supposedly this is a thing: #60098 Heavy Haul Train

Made it into the Brickset database at least
    roxiobinaryeye
  • NesquikNesquik Member Posts: 30
    ^^^ If it's an Exclusive, then it won't be previewed at the fair.
  • C0chiseC0chise TennesseeMember Posts: 47
    Any word on the UCS Helicarrier? I find it hard to believe its getting released in a few weeks and we haven't seen anything about it.
  • LordmoralLordmoral Puerto RicoMember Posts: 530
    Sad that JW is expensive but still slightly interested in them, hopefully the Lego Marvel SH videogame roster is made in official sets (Winter Soldier, Punisher, etc.), any info on the description (and price) of SW?
    Thanks in advance (I will most likely read about it on Brickset).
  • bluemoosebluemoose Member Posts: 1,716
    edited January 2015
    ^^ (@C0chise) as Nesquik said, I wouldn't expect it, or any 'exclusive', to be at a Toy Fair event. The Toy Fairs are mainly about briefing the small & medium retailers on what's coming & convincing them to place orders for stock to go into their stores. 'Exclusives' aren't usually available to these sorts of retailers, so those sets aren't covered at these trade shows.
    C0chise
  • mh3490mh3490 NW Indiana Member Posts: 318
    Néed a better description of these JW sets please
  • hkcrazy88hkcrazy88 USA/ItalyMember Posts: 163
    Jern92 said:

I can't seem to open the BrickFanatics report. Anyone else having this problem?

Yes, I had the same issue. I just googled Brick Fanatics and it's on their main page. Hope this helps!
  • monkyby87monkyby87 Member Posts: 315
    C0chise said:

Any word on the UCS Helicarrier? I find it hard to believe its getting released in a few weeks and we haven't seen anything about it.

No word, though rumor is it will be revealed later this week. I don't mind that there hasn't been any sort of reveal yet...takes me back to the days when we really didn't know about a set until it was unveiled at a show or catalog. Dang internet, lol.
    C0chisegmonkey76
  • C0chiseC0chise TennesseeMember Posts: 47
    Thanks bluemoose for the info. I didn't realize that. monkeyby87, hopefully you're right! I can't wait to see it!
  • LockeLocke Member Posts: 10
    Thanks for all of the great info! Can anyone who saw the City Square set confirm the Brick Fanatics report that one of the minifigs is a green Futuron astronaut? Thanks!
    chuckp
  • chuckpchuckp NYMember Posts: 684
    Locke said:

Thanks for all of the great info! Can anyone who saw the City Square set confirm the Brick Fanatics report that one of the minifigs is a green Futuron astronaut? Thanks!

Green Futuron astronaut? Oh please that be true!
  • wayneggwaynegg Texas,USAMember Posts: 394
    Digging for a leaked picture of Jokerland I came across an article saying it has a Ferris wheel. Is it like the theme park from LEGO Batman 2? Does it have other rides like the bumper cars and/or arcades? I also came across a woderfully ironic photo of a 4' tall meccano robot with its creator posing beside it and with a very prominent 'no photography' sign in the background :)
  • HuwHuw Brickset Towers, Hampshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,562
    If has a small ferris wheel with duck-shaped cars and other rides which the Capn will describe later.

^^ It's possible. There were two historic figures that are statues in the LEGO store. One was a knight, I didn't notice the other.
    LostInTranslationwayneggAdzbadboyhkcrazy88chuckp
  • cakeinmilkcakeinmilk London, UKMember Posts: 33
    chuckp said:

Locke said:

I can confirm my own report if that's any help?
    sgarrahychuckp
  • SMCSMC UKMember Posts: 1,802
    The Green Futuron astronaut kind of bugs me if its meant to be a statue of a historic figures in the LEGO store then there was never a Green Futuron astronaut, if lego want to give us a Green Futuron astronaut which would be great put it in a nice space set, don't make space fans pay £140 for a set they wont get over wise but I think that's the very reason they do things like this. Still want to hear more about this set, someone said it had a police station?
  • LockeLocke Member Posts: 10

chuckp said:

Locke said:

I can confirm my own report if that's any help?
    Thank you. I was discussing this elsewhere and was met with some skepticism that this was a new figure, with some believing that perhaps the report meant to reference the green astronaut from the exo suit.

While I'm not a huge fan of including this is a large set in a theme that I don't really collect, I love the fact that we are continuing to get homages to the classic space era.
    chuckp
  • DedgeckoDedgecko Seattle, WAMember Posts: 799
    No new Pirates? That strikes me as odd... What am I missing?
  • thenosthenos Twin Cities, MNMember Posts: 414
    If the green futuron is meant to be historic, it's like a bronze statue all oxidized and junk. See, rationalized.
  • cheshirecatcheshirecat Member Posts: 5,332
    unless it was a space police II
  • sgarrahysgarrahy Member Posts: 26
    So pumped to read on brick fanatics that there is a green futuron guy in the town square! My 6yo has all my classic space and futuron guys paired up by colour and now the exo suit space guy has a buddy!
  • binaryeyebinaryeye USMember Posts: 1,734
    Dedgecko said:

The recent Castle theme was one wave. It's not surprising that Pirates would follow.

• tamamahmtamamahm Member Posts: 1,956
    The fair write-ups were quite helpful. If is sounding like Minecraft and Scooby-Doo will be the areas my kiddo will gravitate towards.

The underwater/diver set may hold some potential.
  • AdzbadboyAdzbadboy London, UKMember Posts: 2,630
    60097 City Square
    -I just want to see what the LEGO Store looks like, I don't really expect much since it is LEGO City.

76035 Jokerland (£89.99)
    -I didn't purchase the funhouse when it was available and I really wish I had so this could be it's replacement and hopefully even better.

76039 Marvel's Ant-Man (£19.99)
    -I have a feeling it's based on the movie since it wasn't shown just like Star Wars Episode VII sets.

Mixels (Series 5 and 6)
    -Mostly for parts (Maybe...)

Minecraft
    -All the LEGO Minecraft sets look great but I still need to get the first wave because I was hoping for a sale but if they can be sold out everywhere at full price I don't see that happening anytime soon.

Scooby Doo
    -I also was very much into Scooby Doo. The set names sound cool and descriptions and opinions by attendees of Toy Fair make them sound even cooler.

I'm going to have a hard time getting most of these, Helicarrier, three Modular Buildings, this years sets and last years sets...plus I really want to display several MOC's at Brick 2015. I got some real judgments to make...
  • Iron_man_mark_45Iron_man_mark_45 Member Posts: 1
    Huw? Did you see the Age of Ultron sets?
  • cakeinmilkcakeinmilk London, UKMember Posts: 33

Huw? Did you see the Age of Ultron sets?

They were all there, but a lot of placeholder figs. The Hulkbuster fits a minifig unsurprisingly.
    kezchuckp
  • blarghiflarghblarghiflargh Member Posts: 99
    SMC said:

The Green Futuron astronaut kind of bugs me if its meant to be a statue of a historic figures in the LEGO store then there was never a Green Futuron astronaut, if lego want to give us a Green Futuron astronaut which would be great put it in a nice space set, don't make space fans pay £140 for a set they wont get over wise but I think that's the very reason they do things like this.

It'd be nice if LEGO did a nice minifig pack like the old days(80s), with a spaceman from each theme.
    chuckp
  • DedgeckoDedgecko Seattle, WAMember Posts: 799
    binaryeye said:

Dedgecko said:

The recent Castle theme was one wave. It's not surprising that Pirates would follow.

Well suck. Perhaps I should just hold off until a better version comes out that isn't so Juniorized.

• RomanticWarriorRomanticWarrior United StatesMember Posts: 248
    Sounds like another relatively cheap year. good news!

glad to see the hating on Ultra Agents is alive in '15 still. :eyeroll
  • piratemania7piratemania7 New EnglandMember Posts: 2,097
    Dedgecko said:

binaryeye said:

Dedgecko said:

Well suck. Perhaps I should just hold off until a better version comes out that isn't so Juniorized.

Well, we have the "first" wave of the updated line coming in March. That we already know, so were you refering to a second release the same year? I think that would be a bit unlikely, lets have this discussion in 9 months time and see if there is any mention of a second wave for 2016.
  • threepwood1138threepwood1138 United KingdomMember Posts: 38
    Not seen this mentioned anywhere yet, but I saw admiral ackbar and han in carbonite lego torch key chains at the toy fair yesterday. Han was just a packaging placeholder but ackbar was finished product.