Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

LEGO Games

Vindic8edVindic8ed Member Posts: 163
I know these have been discontinued for a while, but I've been buying a lot of them recently from Amazon and Ebay and noticed that some of them are "Special Edition" and some aren't. I've looked around but can't seem to find anything that makes them "special." The most recent one I purchased was Frog Rush. The picture Brickset has does not say special edition, but looks exactly the same. Is it just a location (country specific, IE different boxes for different places) thing or does it have something to do with its release (released in US but not Europe)?

LEGO Games aren't the only things I've seen like this. Occasionally you can find sets at stores that say Limited Edition or Special Edition but don't seem to be any different than the normal version of the set.

Comments

• chuckpchuckp NYMember Posts: 684
    edited January 2015
    LEGO used the Limited Edition or Special Edition labels for sets in the US that were store exclusives. Any set that was sold by LEGO and limited to one specific chain like Walmart, Target or Toys R US would get the LE or SE tags.

As far as games go, I don't know if Target or Walmart had exclusives, but I'm pretty sure Toys R US did. For example, I think 3845 Shave A Sheep (Wild Wool in the US) was a TRU exclusive. If you are collecting the games, you will find that a lot of them were not released in the US.
  • Vindic8edVindic8ed Member Posts: 163
    edited January 2015
    Thanks! Ya, I've noticed that. One of the last ones I need is the Lunar Command, but it's really hard to find and fairly expensive. I wish the LEGO games would have done better though. I first started collecting them when they released the last Heroica set...It's too bad they didn't at least keep that one going. Some other ones like Story Mixer that never got released seemed like it could have been interesting.
  • KiwiLegoMeisterKiwiLegoMeister New ZealandMember Posts: 212
    Nice to see another game collector. I have all except 3847 (Magma Monster) and the couple (eg 2010) that were special (like employee gifts) or [obviously] never released.
    A Lunar Command set sold locally for $8 NZD (about $6USD) late last year.
    Sometimes I buy extras of the sets just for parts.
    chuckp
  • bendybadgerbendybadger 127.0.0.1 ::1Member Posts: 1,141
    I too collect the games and still want a copy of Happy Holidays. Do you guys keep the games sealed in box or are they opened? I have kept mine sealed and often wonder what the game is like to play. I did play minotaurus and found it quite fun if a little repetitive.
    Being based in the UK meant it was quite easy to pick them up
    chuckp
    Happy Holidays was the employee gift set. It'll be near impossible to get hold of.
    We play with the sets; which isn't too bad if you play them only now and then. We also added a few other bases to some to help them hold together a bit better.
    I started to collect the games, but with so many non-US exclusives it was really not worth the challenge. I had to limit my collection to just the licensed games and Heroica. I still really want the Lunar Command game for those Classic Space micro figs.

They are great micro build parts packs too. The Heroica sets lingered on clearance at WM for years.
  • paul_mertonpaul_merton UKMember Posts: 2,958
    The Heroica polybag is one of the things I never got. I generally loved all of the Lego games, and I bought plenty of extra copies just as part packs whenever I saw them cheap enough (in the UK). The City Alarm game for £3.50 and Battle of Hoth for £5.00 were probably the best bargains!
  • paul_mertonpaul_merton UKMember Posts: 2,958
    ^ Plus lots of Minotaurus games for just under £3. Worth it for the 32x32 green baseplates alone, and the 200+ other parts and microfigures are a bonus!
  • prevereprevere North of Bellville, East of Heartlake, South of Bricksburg, West of Ninjago City Member Posts: 2,883
    I remember buying a ton of Champion, Race and a few others for parts. That Champion game was so sweet for rare 2x4 brick colors. At one point, discounted for $15 on Amazon, you got about 160 2x4 bricks (including 20x purple and 20x pink), plus another 47 parts and really good Microfigs. Glorious.
  • GalactusGalactus NLMember Posts: 255
    I've never seen any of the games discounted over here (The Netherlands), but I'm still hoping Battle of Hoth will, since it's still on the shelves for at least €30,-
  • caperberrycaperberry LondonMember Posts: 2,226
    Battle of Hoth rarely ever fell below £16 here, but it did eventually. Loooverly parts!

Re gameplay, Kokoriko was my guilty pleasure. So simplistic but so fun!
    edited January 2015
    We play them too. I plan on buying a bunch of Microfigs in the future. My wife likes Pirate Code the most. I like them all, they are fairly unique. The Harry Potter game and Heroica are some of the better ones though.
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 18,205

Battle of Hoth rarely ever fell below £16 here, but it did eventually. Loooverly parts!

Especially if the losers have to dance around the room pretending to be chickens. That's our rule amendment.
    chuckp
    The ones that I'm missing (on top of the ones that never got released and the Holiday set) are:
    3849: Orient Bazaar
    3846: UFO Attack
    3852: Sunblock
    3864: Mini Taurus
    3863: Kokoriko
    50003: Batman

I always wanted to see what the Limited Edition Box Set of Heroica was but I can't seem to find any info on it other than it exists? I have the box/map for it. It's an awesome concept but only fits two versions of the game in it, you probably need 3 of them to fit all of the games.
    CCC said:

Especially if the losers have to dance around the room pretending to be chickens. That's our rule amendment.
    I have to ask, is this an alcohol-related rule change?
    I recently bought both Champion and Creationary together for $30NZD. I then promptly on-sold Creationary ... for $34.44 (!)
  • 77ncaachamps77ncaachamps Aspiring Time Traveler Stuck in the West (US)Member Posts: 2,440
    I just acquired a Creationary used but missing some pieces (haven't counted).

It looks like a great set. Will probably Bricklink the other pieces.