Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Current road plates discontinued?

tfranklin84tfranklin84 Member Posts: 103
I'm not one to jump to conclusions, but I've had a set of each of the road plates on backorder for about 2 weeks, and LEGO has just sent me an email stating that: "The demand for the item(s) listed below has exceeded our expectations and the item(s) are no longer available. We regret to inform you that the order for these item(s) has been cancelled from your order."

Has anyone heard rumors of new road base plates? Or is the response I received fairly normal for such a common item? Perhaps they just don't want backorders sitting around for a long time, but it seems odd for this item.

Comments

• iBartiBart Member Posts: 121
    Cars that LEGO is making now are too big. Road baseplates with new vehicles looks weird.
  • piratemania7piratemania7 New EnglandMember Posts: 2,097
    There is always a nostalgic note that hits me whenever I think of something from my childhood now being widely unavailable; I remember building entire cityscapes around road plates.
    korTXLegoguy
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,513
    If they are listed as 'Sold out' on LEGO.com they are likely gone. If only 'out of stock', or 'on back order' then they are still around. They have the 'out of stock will ship in 30 days' notice up on the site. Likely it means what it says. What is a bit surprising is if they removed them from your order completely, though it seems like LEGO is doing that more and more with items that are on back order. Or it is just another system SNAFU by LEGO and if you call CS they may explain it further or correct it if they should not have been removed. My guess is if it will take them x more days to make and ship they will cancel it so it is not lingering in the system for more than 30 days, but that is just a guess
  • Ma1234Ma1234 Member Posts: 693
    They are both available to order from LEGO.com. I'd be pretty surprised if they were discontinued, I'm sure they were very popular over the holiday shopping period.
  • 19741974 Member Posts: 141
    Yes, they've been replaced with a doublepack consisting of two magenta 3-stud crossroads. Ohh, and the price has gone up to 99$
    Chrisbstm
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 18,243
    They are available on UK [email protected]
  • natro220natro220 USAMember Posts: 545
    I doubt they would be discontinued. [email protected] is just FUBAR'ed at the moment, I've had numerous issues with them since the first of the year. I was in a Lego Store a couple days ago, and saw LOTS of road baseplates.
  • sweetness34sweetness34 San Diego, CA.Member Posts: 327
    Blame back to the future part 2. They did not need roads in 2015. So start making flying cars for your Lego city's
    reckonballchuckpkorpreverelegomasonBuriedinBricksAdzbadboy
  • 19741974 Member Posts: 141
    TLG did that with SP3 ;)
  • dejavudejavu USAMember Posts: 235
    I wish they'd make a set with two straight road pieces in addition to the sets with intersections or curved corners. I need more straight road pieces and it drives me nuts to end up with too many intersections and curves.
  • Jern92Jern92 MalaysiaMember Posts: 807
    dejavu said:

I wish they'd make a set with two straight road pieces in addition to the sets with intersections or curved corners. I need more straight road pieces and it drives me nuts to end up with too many intersections and curves.

That's their marketing strategy lol, or people won't be buying as many intersections or curves as they are now
    It would be nice to have more sets come with baseplates period. I especially miss the times of Classic Pirate when all the big name sets came with a baseplate or two...one of them raised even!
    StuBoyAndor
  • tfranklin84tfranklin84 Member Posts: 103
    Well, now they've added them back to my order and it says "processing." Will update when I know for sure.
    piratemania7

Well, now they've added them back to my order and it says "processing." Will update when I know for sure.

They are trolling the forum. : )
  • FASTER345FASTER345 Member Posts: 20
    Same happened to me several months ago, I wanted to get a few and they only had curve/T-junction online, the straight/crossroads was not available. But I found them in a LEGO store and bought all they had. I thought these were terminated long ago! I see they are both at [email protected] again but OOS. What's going on over there?
  • AdzbadboyAdzbadboy London, UKMember Posts: 2,627
    This is so annoying because I wanted to start my LEGO City this year and I needed: Road Plates, Green Baseplates, Blue Baseplates and Town Hall, Palace Cinema, Parisian Restaurant, Detective's Office. The main stuff is gone :(
  • SMCSMC UKMember Posts: 1,785
    In lego store MK UK I saw Road Plates with different packing than the ones I have so maybe they are staying.
  • HokieJoe99HokieJoe99 Member Posts: 348
    @SMC‌, were they the same price as before, or were they marked up 60% like the other baseplates?
  • blarghiflarghblarghiflargh Member Posts: 99
    I'm not concerned about the road plates(even if they were discontinued that'd probably mean LEGO was making new ones), what about the blue baseplates? They seem to have been discontinued in favor of sand.
  • SMCSMC UKMember Posts: 1,785

@SMC‌, were they the same price as before, or were they marked up 60% like the other baseplates?

Sorry didn't look they were in the same kind of packs as the new classic ones but were branded city, I guess they would have a new price.

• tfranklin84tfranklin84 Member Posts: 103
    Just to update, I've received the straight and crossroad, still waiting on the other pack.
  • brokenapathy23brokenapathy23 Member Posts: 58
    I recently ordered some additional plates for my son. I noticed the packaging was different as well as the numbers on the back of the plates. Is this normal? We just recently purchased a 7280 pack directly from a Lego store and the packaging looked more like the one on the right. 
    Also the numbers on the back of the same plates are slightly different too. Does that just mean they came from different batches? 
    Thank you!
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,401
    edited March 2015
    What numbers are you referring to? 7280 and 7281? They had to update the packaging sometime; the sets pictured on the left have been retired for years. This probably explains the delay in shipping and/or "out of stock" labels.
    madforLEGObrokenapathy23
    null
    There are numbers on the back of the plates that are different.
    It is where the arrows are pointing inside the circles.
  • QuentinBrickQuentinBrick STLMember Posts: 21
    My mind is about to be blown when someone explains the arrow numbers...I want to know
    brokenapathy23
  • BrickDancerBrickDancer Dunes of TatooineMember Posts: 3,639
    It's the Doomsday clock, we're 10 minutes closer to Lego-geddon.
    Pitfall69brokenapathy23
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,401
    Those numbers have nothing to do with the actual set numbers. It is likely that the mold was changed out for a newer one. Molds only last so long. My 48x48 Large gray baseplates have two different types of packaging as well.
    brokenapathy23
    null

Thank you so much for all the information! I tried to find out information regarding those circles and couldn't. I love learning more Lego tidbits!
  • brickderpbrickderp Member Posts: 10
    Are there only two road plates available right now? I am thinking of building a race track for my speed champion sets but these road plates are pretty expensive at $15 for two plates, with only one thing straight. 
  • KorbNLKorbNL Member Posts: 3
    They already designed new roads years ago, doubt they will make a version 3 anytime soon.
  • dragon114dragon114 United StatesMember Posts: 632
    Hope I can get some road plates before may. Waiting till April to use my points from double VIP.