Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

Hello

I've been reading on the forum for a few months and wanted to take a moment to say hi. Looks like the discussions tempered with a bit of humor is right up my alley. I was always interested in Lego as a child. I remember the thrill of a new set for Christmas or my birthday. I remember desperately wanting and saving my money for either the Expert Builder (technic) car chassis 8860 or the car engine 8858 (I wish I still had my hands on those sets). Lego, Modeling, and Erector were my favorite items from childhood. But by no means did i have a collection. Just boxes of components to be built into a myriad of contraptions and gizmos. These are my memories of my early Lego hobby.

Fast forward 30+ years and a career and two kids ... and I find myself dare I say an AFOL and happy to pass on the building with my kids. So, it started just over a year ago with my first purchase for a group build with my kids of the 42000. Now primary interest lies in Technic, Star Wars, Modulars (collections) and Creator, Mixels, etc. (play). Needless to say, I'm happy that my kids are afforded the luxury of new sets and we are starting a sizable collection. And it makes us all happy!

A final question: I am looking at LUG and do not see any representing Central Oklahoma, US or vicinity. Does anybody out there know of an active group in this area?

Happy Building (and Collecting)
TarDomo

Comments

• TarDomoTarDomo FinlandMember Posts: 515
    welcome. I collect mostly SW. What kind of SW sets you have/are interested in?
  • ColoradoBricksColoradoBricks Denver, CO, USAMember Posts: 1,640
    @cocoflow, welcome. When I came back from dark ages, I had to find and buy a #8860, I got that from my 10th birthday back in the days and I needed back.
    I am a big fan of the large technic models and all the super cars I was able to buy all those I missed in my dark ages (but for #8466, I don't think it should be in that list). If you can find it, get #8880, it is spectacular.
  • OldfanOldfan Chicagoland, IL, USAMember Posts: 611
    I remember having an Erector set back in the 70's. Lots of metal beams and real metal nuts and bolts; I swiped my dad's little Craftsman wrench because it worked so much better than the flat wrench tool that came with the set.

I checked out a more modern Erector set a few years ago; it wasn't even close to what I used to have in terms of materials, parts, and functionality. I think I'll stick with LEGO!