Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Eggheads (UK)

PoMoPinkPoMoPink UKMember Posts: 275
Team of LEGO enthusiasts on now (12/1/15, BBC2) ... anyone from here?

Comments

• LostInTranslationLostInTranslation UKMember Posts: 5,594
    edited January 2015
    Aaargh, there are some Brickish members on. I meant to set to record it and forgot! :-(
    Still stuck on the bus and will miss it all.
  • iso3200iso3200 97 miles from Brickset TowersMember Posts: 2,063
    ^ BBC iPlayer????
    LostInTranslation
  • CapnRex101CapnRex101 United KingdomAdministrator Posts: 2,352
    I just watched it and recognised Gary and (I think) Ed. Next time I see Gary I'll bully him about the Rugby World cup question :)
  • SirKevbagsSirKevbags Fairy Land Member Posts: 4,030
    Gary on sport was a pleasure. I sense some good chat about this at the weekend :-)
    caperberry
  • monkeyhangermonkeyhanger Member Posts: 3,152
    edited January 2015
    Please tell me the Brickish lot beat those smug smegheads that feel the need to discount every answer before telling the right one (so annoying).
  • plasmodiumplasmodium UKMember Posts: 1,950
    edited January 2015

smegheads

Is that a Thing?

Aren't Smegs a kind of fridge?
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 20,298
    Not in Red Dwarf.
    monkeyhangergifinimGothamConstructionCoPaperballparkKevin_HyattDrLegOBrickmessyAllBrick
  • bricktuarybricktuary Krakozhia (temporarily stuck in London)Member Posts: 947
    edited January 2015
    ^^ Not if you don't wash properly
    AllBrick
  • BooTheMightyHamsterBooTheMightyHamster Northern edge of London, just before the dragons...Member Posts: 1,454

Please tell me the Brickish lot beat those smug smegheads that feel the need to discount every answer before telling the right one (so annoying).

Sadly not.
    There was much explaining of the options, as per usual. I think they ratchet up the smugness on purpose.
    monkeyhanger
  • cheshirecatcheshirecat Member Posts: 5,332
    Just makes it seem rediculous, especially when the questions are obvious, i dont normally watch it but wstching this one on iplayer the questions seem to be a few levels lower than other quizes.
  • HuwHuw Brickset Towers, Hampshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 7,014
    edited January 2015
    It's the first one I've watched. I thought it was a very boring quiz show format and for the reason @monkeyhanger says, incredibly annoying too. The presenter is awful.

Give me Pointless and Alexander Armstrong any day... :-)
    LostInTranslationRedbullgivesuwindKevin_HyattmonkeyhangerDrLegOBrickMeadleMrs_Wobbleheadobi_g
  • BooTheMightyHamsterBooTheMightyHamster Northern edge of London, just before the dragons...Member Posts: 1,454
    Pointless is ok, but Only Connect rules them all!
    Not least because I have it bad for Victoria Coren. Incidentally, I've been thinking about putting an Only Connect team together - anyone interested?
    LostInTranslationplasmodiumCapnRex101
  • LostInTranslationLostInTranslation UKMember Posts: 5,594
    edited January 2015
    @Huw - and the fabulous Richard Osman!!!

I do love Only Connect but I don't think I'm good enough at it to actually go on. Sorry Boo.

Still not watched Eggheads yet. It really is a boring format though. Who's presenting these days? Dermot Murnaghan or Jeremy Vine? I really can't stand Jeremy Vine's patronising attitude :-(
  • CapnRex101CapnRex101 United KingdomAdministrator Posts: 2,352
    You all must be crazy, has everyone forgotten the excellence of ITV's Ejector Seat?

In all seriousness I recommend it for all the wrong reasons. A very entertaining show from the perspective of wondering how it made it to television.

I enjoy Pointless, Only Connect, University Challenge and The National Lottery Who Dares Wins. I have seen quite a few episodes of Eggheads and I too find Jeremy Vine rather irritating, but not as irritating as Jeremy Paxman on University Challenge.

I'm in the same boat as Lucy I suspect. There have been a few episodes of Only Connect where I have known nothing until the missing vowels round!
    I like 15 to 1, at least there is a bit of strategy there too as weaker ones can gang up on a stronger player.

Otherwise it's 8 Out of 10 Cats Does Countdown.
    Redbullgivesuwind
  • RedbullgivesuwindRedbullgivesuwind Brickset's Secret HeadquatersMember Posts: 2,052
    @CapnRex101‌ anything that has Andy Peters as the host is gold in my book.
  • mr_bennmr_benn United KingdomMember Posts: 908
    edited January 2015
    I like the principle of Only Connect... it's a good intelligent show... but it's just so very SMUG, quite tediously so, and anytime Victoria Coren tries to be funny it just falls flat. It can suffer terribly from know-it-all contestant syndrome like the Eggheads team too, which is a shame!

Pointless is far more fun... really enjoyed the Not Going Out episode recency where they went on Pointless!
    Boo - if you are serious I would be interested, subject to family commitments.
    I'm afraid I'd be with @LIT and @CapnRex101 - I don't know enough useless trivia! But I would certainly watch and cheer faithfully for you!
    I shall put your name down! Can you PM me your approximate location?
    I applied for the last series to see what was involved, and there's an on-line, timed test which you need to take, and obviously all the team need to be sitting around the same screen. So if you're in the Outer Hebrides and I'm in North London, we may have a problem!
  • caperberrycaperberry LondonMember Posts: 2,226
    @CapnRex101‌ It's remarkable they came up with a format even more unrelated to quizzing than Tipping Point is.
  • CheekaCheeka UKMember Posts: 236

@CapnRex101‌ It's remarkable they came up with a format even more unrelated to quizzing than Tipping Point is.

I remember watching this for the first time about a year ago, and being astounded they managed to make a quiz out of the old Tuppenny Falls game. I have to say, I'm a bit of a secret fan though - even down to the niche terminology: 'Ooh, it's a rider', 'We need some lateral movement here'!

My husband's uncle was on Only Connect a couple of years ago - unfortunately, we missed the episode as we were abroad at the time, but seem to recall he was disappointed with his team's loss...

Fake edit: I've just mentioned this thread to the husband, who's just learned that his uncle has his own IMdb page, through which we've found out he's also been on Countdown a number of times!
  • monkeyhangermonkeyhanger Member Posts: 3,152
    You can't beat a bit of Bully!
  • cheshirecatcheshirecat Member Posts: 5,332
    edited January 2015
    I always loved the idea of someone from Birmingham winning a bully's star prize speedboat.

I always loved the idea of someone from Birmingham winning a bully's star prize speedboat.

But as we all know...Birmingham has more canals than Venice.
    andhe

Or just their BFH.
    I'm approximately Bristol based, and my trips to the outer Hebrides are quite infrequent these days.
  • bluemoosebluemoose Member Posts: 1,716

... I have it bad for Victoria Coren Mitchell.

I suspect you aren't the only one. Cough.
    mr_benn said:

... anytime Victoria Coren tries to be funny it just falls flat

I think it's deliberate. I think it's kinda post-ironic. Or something. It's cute, whatever it is :-)
    I don't consider her marriage to David Mitchell to be valid, so I don't use the Mitchell part of her name. She's actually saving herself for me.*

*Subject to agreement from Mrs Boo
    bluemoose
  • legomattlegomatt Member Posts: 2,548
    edited January 2015
    Poker?
    Boo: I know I would. ;oP

(I was a Saba Douglas-Hamilton man myself, i would've spent a happy African summer feeling completely inadequate surrounded by those 5-legged elephants).