Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

Educator Appreciation Days at Barnes & Noble

LegoKipLegoKip A cottage by the sea, California, US Member Posts: 259
edited January 2015 in Shopping USA/Canada
I received this message, a day late, and thought I'd pass it along.
Educator Appreciation Days are back! Here’s what you need to know:
· Your Educator Discount is good for a 25% discount on books, toys & games, music, DVDs, and tech gear - Your Educator Discount will also get you 10% off on Café consumables and NOOK devices
· Educator Appreciation Days run from Saturday, January 10th through Sunday, January 18th, 2015.
Here's what you really need to know: sales include Lego!

I wonder what's in store.
(Double entendre intended.)
margotReesesPieces

Comments

• 77ncaachamps77ncaachamps Aspiring Time Traveler Stuck in the West (US)Member Posts: 2,425
    This is correct. Though it states on the discount email that Lego is excluded, it'll still ring up discounted at the registers.
  • ReesesPiecesReesesPieces Member Posts: 723
    Awesome...thanks!
    Also, if you are an educator, you can always get lego for 20% off but of course, their selection is limited and they are always at full price to start.
  • LegoKipLegoKip A cottage by the sea, California, US Member Posts: 259
    @77ncaachamps‌ My email arrived as a "business invitation" and announced an in-store breakfast from 8 to 9 am on Saturday January 17. There was no mention of an exemption on Lego.
    I'm glad to hear you still received your discount at the register on your Lego purchase!
  • ElkkthunderElkkthunder Member Posts: 47
    How do I become an educator
  • mathewmathew Member Posts: 2,096
    edited January 2015

Go to college and get a degree in "Education". Then apply non-stop for 2-3 years for every position in every podunk town within a 100 mile radius. Substitute teach until you land your first job. After you land your first teaching job, prepare to suffer for the next 40 years until you are ready to retire (or die. whichever comes first). Then only to learn that the 15% that was deducted from every paycheck to TRS has been sucked dry by "boomer" teachers who retired in their 50's. And don't forget the $300 a month student loan payment that never goes away. I am married to an educator.

ColoradoBrickstamamahmSirBenjasor
  • ColoradoBricksColoradoBricks Denver, CO, USAMember Posts: 1,640
    ^ that or take the shorter route like @mathew , marry one and drag them to the store to use their discount ;-)
    jasor
  • ElkkthunderElkkthunder Member Posts: 47
    Thanks for the sarcasm
    I wanted to no the process for becoming such at Barnes and nobles, Is there a form or something
  • ReesesPiecesReesesPieces Member Posts: 723

Thanks for the sarcasm
    I wanted to no the process for becoming such at Barnes and nobles, Is there a form or something

Haahaa... First thing that came to my mind is that "you don't want tone an educator!"

Yes, there is a form you fill out. Just ask a worker. It definitely comes in handy knowing you can always get that discount. You even get discounts off book!!!
  • 77ncaachamps77ncaachamps Aspiring Time Traveler Stuck in the West (US)Member Posts: 2,425
    LegoKip said:

@77ncaachamps‌ My email arrived as a "business invitation" and announced an in-store breakfast from 8 to 9 am on Saturday January 17. There was no mention of an exemption on Lego.
    I'm glad to hear you still received your discount at the register on your Lego purchase!

Cool.

Since the discount does work despite the legalese, this was what I was referring to:

• jasorjasor United StatesMember Posts: 839
    mathew said:

Go to college and get a degree in "Education". Then apply non-stop for 2-3 years for every position in every podunk town within a 100 mile radius. Substitute teach until you land your first job. After you land your first teaching job, prepare to suffer for the next 40 years until you are ready to retire (or die. whichever comes first). Then only to learn that the 15% that was deducted from every paycheck to TRS has been sucked dry by "boomer" teachers who retired in their 50's. And don't forget the $300 a month student loan payment that never goes away. I am married to an educator.

My wife is also an educator....this got a big chuckle. Anything that is funny, is usually rooted in some truth.
    LegoKip
  • dannyrwwdannyrww WisconsinMember Posts: 1,295
    edited January 2015

You even get discounts off book!!!

Only those of us who collect Lego sets would look at the discount on books at a BOOK store secondary :smiley: Anyways I am a teacher and often take advantage of this deal. Most times of the year the purchases are supposed to be for the classroom. This sale is on personal purchases as well. Sadly most purchases I make there are for my classroom anyways.

• legogregorslegogregors Member Posts: 402
    Check your email for a 20% off coupon to leverage this discount.
  • LegoKipLegoKip A cottage by the sea, California, US Member Posts: 259
    @legogregors‌ B&N told me discounts don't stack with the Educator's card.
    As always, YMMV.
  • scotty12scotty12 United States, IowaMember Posts: 681
    It's the normal 20% of coupon that excludes LEGO in the Toys and Games Dept. Some have been able to use it for the Architecture themed Lego because it's considered "educational". Again...YMMV.
  • epyon396epyon396 Member Posts: 268
    Kept thinking the thread said 'equator' and I was like "that's way too far".
    edited January 2015
    scotty12 said:

It's the normal 20% of coupon that excludes LEGO in the Toys and Games Dept. Some have been able to use it for the Architecture themed Lego because it's considered "educational". Again...YMMV.

If the person behind the register reads the fine print or has a knowledgeable manager who enforces this rule, then yes, YMMV.

The register most often won't reject the coupon, though.

Look at my post above. I took a screen shot, not from a normal 20% coupon, but from the Educator Discount email.