Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Rare colours

monkeymonkey Member Posts: 235
edited January 2015 in Collecting
What would you say are the rare colours in bricks? I know sand green, and I've heard of sand read. But what are the others? Is there a list or it does it depend?

P.S. I think what I mean is rare/desirable, rather than rare/small number (like friends sets)

Comments

• CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 18,216
    This list on BL tells you the number of different parts made in each (BL) colour:

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogColors.asp

Keep in mind that it includes duplo, fabuland, etc and also stickered / unstickered, but it gives a good idea as to whether a colour is rare or not.
    monkey
  • maniacmaniac Yorkshire, UKMember Posts: 810
    Talking about Sand Red, I've love to see that make a big return (if possible). Preferably in the next modular... ;)
  • monkeymonkey Member Posts: 235
    edited January 2015
    ^^Cheers for that, that is helpful! I'm still finding my way on bricklink.
  • monkeymonkey Member Posts: 235
    maniac said:

Talking about Sand Red, I've love to see that make a big return (if possible). Preferably in the next modular... ;)

Yeah that would be great! And it's a nice colour for a building, would make absolute sense.
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFWMember Posts: 6,107
    I believe sand red died in the great color purge in the early '00s before it ever really got going. I think a Landspeeder and maybe one other set were all it appeared in. I have looked several times at the possibility of getting enough parts to MOC a modular using that color as part of the scheme but the part choice is so limited it just doesn't seem worth trying.
  • AdzbadboyAdzbadboy London, UKMember Posts: 2,626
    Are these the only 'Sand Red' pieces ever produced?

http://brickset.com/parts/colour-Sand-Red
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 18,216
    No. Take a look at the BL link above. The droid arms are also available, as are many bricks and plates and so on.

Bricks like in this set ...

http://brickset.com/sets/10003-1/1x2-Sand-Red-Bricks
  • caperberrycaperberry LondonMember Posts: 2,226
    monkey said:

What would you say are the rare colours in bricks? I know sand green, and I've heard of sand read. But what are the others? Is there a list or it does it depend?

P.S. I think what I mean is rare/desirable, rather than rare/small number (like friends sets)

I think the best answer is yes, it depends. It depends on what range of pieces you're after - if you want a decent inventory of plates and bricks in a single colour then that limits things a lot. It depends on what you're prepared to pay too as discontinued colours cost more to get hold of... and, in addition to the pieces listed on that Bricklink link, there are also "Q" parts which have never appeared in sets, but sometimes become available for sale having fallen off the back of a truck or something. They're pricey.

If you're new to colours check out the Brick Colorstream by eldeeem on Flickr which shows examples of every known colour. There's a lovely timeline in there too which gives you an idea of how long each colour lasted, which of course affects its rarity and inventory.
    monkeybinaryeyeLegoKipCupIsHalfEmptyAdzbadboyGalactusklatu003Murstenson
  • legogallegogal USMember Posts: 755
    I agree; it would be great if sand red could make a comeback. My supply only has a few parts, which are not enough to make much of a MOC. Wish they came in a great variety. It is a wonderful color, just like sand blue, sand green and sand purple. Thanks for the info about brick colors.
  • IstokgIstokg MichiganMember Posts: 2,100
    Of the most common LEGO colors is one of the rarest now in 21st century production.... namely trans-clear.

When you check the prices in Bricklink, yeah there are a bunch of parts made in 1x1 and 1x2 plates, and 1x1 and 1x2 bricks (and even 1x1 round bricks).... and they're dirt cheap!

But look at the prices for trans-clear 2x2, 2x3, 2x4, 1x6, 1x8 and 2x2 macaroni bricks!! Or look at the price for trans-clear 2x2, 2x3 and 2x4 plates!!

Holy Crap!!

What's up with that TLG?? :-1:

But these parts are generally dirt cheap in the older (yellowed) used trans-clear.
    Murstenson
  • 19741974 Member Posts: 141
    Rarest colour is the one never released ;)

I have some olive drab parts, that never went into production. I guess it was 'too army' for TLG
  • PaperballparkPaperballpark UK / KLMember Posts: 3,531
    Maersk Blue is pretty rare, especially now they've stopped using it.
  • MurstensonMurstenson Member Posts: 6
    Rare colours...where to start?
    First I want to say, that if Lego would not have all the colours they have today, I would not be an AFOL. For me it is the colour-variation that holds my interest, mainly because its fun to build things from real life in similar colours.
    When I grew up in 70/early 80s, there was not much to choose from;-)

As most AFOLs I really enjoy the sand/earth/nougat-colours we have up to date. If you go back some years, you could consider variants in these "families" rare, but I think TLG have been really good, the last years, in providing us bricks and pieces of these.
    So these "rare" does not seem so rare anymore. Thanks for that TLG!

Last couple of years, we have also seen alot of newcomers to the table.
    Such as Cool Yellow/ Aqua/ Olive green/ Flame Yellowish Orange/ Dark Brown/ Spring Yellowish Green to mention some examples. Thanks again TLG!
    Some of these colours are somewhat limited still, and therefore you can say "rare", I think IMHO.

A truly rare colour that I think, would be highly anticipated among AFOLs , would be Nougat (Flesh) coming in bricks. After TLG releasing a door and some plates last year, my hopes are that some bricks also will appear soon. Nougat is a great colour! (TLG, do you read?)

To finish up, I would say that TLG have a pretty good palett today, and alot of before desirable "rare" colours are easy to find today.
    But, I think there are some holes to be filled in still.
    I wish there were some more variants in red. Some people , like above, would like to see the return of Sand Red.
    But, I would be more interested in a colour similar to Salmon/Rust/Br.Reddish Orange. A red variant of "Brick Yellow" if you understand what I mean, lets call it Brick Red or Stone Red;-)
    That kind of colour would be nice for next modular;-)

I also wish that the rare colour Brown (known as Dark Flesh) could make a return!
    That colour would be great for the masonry brick!
    They say You should be careful what You wish for, it can become real...so I wish for this!

Sorry for long post! My kids are sick, so I have time;-)