Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Another Hobbit minifig in the pipeline

CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 18,217
edited January 2015 in Collecting
I've just been catching up on Hobbit / LOTR on eurobricks.

just2good has posted a link to taobao with what appears to be a new Hobbit minifig, in blister packaging so presumably from a DVD / BR package.

http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a1z10.3.w4002-9807881143.20.QsvraZ&id=43330144493

Rather disappointing.

Comments

• wayneggwaynegg Texas,USAMember Posts: 394
    For the sake of pulling in more DVD/game/book sales. Thanks all the same though :)
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 18,217
    A decent figure would have pulled in more sales. I doubt a slight variation on Bain will work.
  • PhoneboothPhonebooth USMember Posts: 1,430
    CCC said:

A decent figure would have pulled in more sales. I doubt a slight variation on Bain will work.

Thanks for your opinion, but I don't think that you can make that claim at all. You have no idea about the consumer purchasing impact of minifig variation on sales.

You are an obsessive collector, which likely represents less than 5% of the target market audience for this dvd/game. Given the low costs to make the minifig, blister pack, and production costs, I can only imagine that this will be profitable from an investment perspective.
  • VenunderVenunder Nottingham, UK.Member Posts: 2,506
    Is that even a Hobbit?
    It could be a child from LakeTown or Minas Tirith?

CCC said:

Thanks for your opinion, but I don't think that you can make that claim at all. You have no idea about the consumer purchasing impact of minifig variation on sales.

Thanks for your opinion, but I don't think that you can make that claim at all. I have some idea about the consumer purchasing impact of minifig variation on sales.
  • matticus_bricksmatticus_bricks Member Posts: 648
    Venunder said:

Is that even a Hobbit?

It's supposed to be Bard's son. IMO he doesn't look young enough in the movie to need the short legs, but I guess they want to make it clear he isn't yet an adult.
    yys4u
    Venunder said:

Is that even a Hobbit?

It's Bain - the face and hair are the same, he has a new torso. And by "Hobbit", I meant from the film "The Hobbit", not a hobbit.
  • TheBigLegoskiTheBigLegoski Amsterdam, NederlandMember Posts: 1,399
    ^
    I agree with @CCC. I consider myself quite obsessed with collecting minifigs, and would have perhaps been willing to consider buying a DVD/BR a second time had they included a well executed and interesting new character such as e.g. the Orc Bolg (Azog's lieutenant), or some new dwarf-warrior, but this variation of Bain does not cut it. It may be a nice minifigure but nonetheless too underwhelming, where is the WOW! factor?

I have not jet been to the cinema to go see 'The Battle of the Five Armies' but I just did buy the extended 3D edition of 'The Desolation of Smaug', which I was able to get somewhere on a special one-day offer for €26, where this BR is normally available for in between €30 and €33. Which I think is really a lot of money for just two to three hours of entertainment, not counting the extras on the discs and all that, those are just 'extras'. Compare that two the amount of entertainment and fun you will enjoy when you spend that money on Lego, or a game for a console or pc, and I for myself (and maybe many other people too) will not be persuaded that easily to part with my cash. DVD/BR's are generally overpriced anyway. One of the reasons pirating is still as popular as it is (though that is a completely different subject).

It may very well be profitable (no doubt), but it won't make a world of a difference. What would have made a huge difference is if TLG and WB/MGM would have renewed the license for more LOTR/Hobbit Lego sets in conjunction with marketing gimmicks such as this Minifig. Where as this little marketing ploy is negligible; both in costs as well as effects/pay-off.
  • TheBigLegoskiTheBigLegoski Amsterdam, NederlandMember Posts: 1,399
    ps.
    I should have included @Phonebooth 's name in my comment, because his comment prompted me to respond and add 'my two cents' to this thread.
  • collect_thatcollect_that Kidderminster, EnglandMember Posts: 1,327
    It may well be that this figure was intended for use elsewhere, such as in a production set, and as such the design and likeness for the character had already been approved rather than choosing a more popular figure or alternative print that had not.
    edited January 2015

DOES THIS MEAN A NEW WAVE OF LORD OF THE RINGS?!?!?!?!

I doubt it. Not even a new range of The Hobbit either.

It seems less places are selling The Hobbit as it is, compared to previous waves. It will be interesting to see if stock appears over the next few weeks, or if stores are shunning the range. Of course, it may just be that pre-Xmas production was in other areas and sets will start appearing again in stores and online in the quieter time of year.
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFWMember Posts: 6,107
    ^(I was joking) But you are right, except the Lego Store itself, I haven't seen any store selling the whole range of Hobbit 3.
  • blarghiflarghblarghiflargh Member Posts: 99
    edited January 2015
    I was already wondering why Bain was included in the second Lake Town set(I know he factors into the scene depicted, but eh not that much). We didn't need another variant of this non-essential character. A minifig of Alfrid or even Bard's older daughter Sigrid would've been preferable IMO, better than a second Bain.
    DanGPTheBigLegoski
  • ShibShib UKMember Posts: 5,261
    I'm still a bit bitter over how poorly the LOTR/Hobbit theme has been handled so I'm not going to go into what other figures they could have done instead, the list would be far too long.
    Looking for the silver lining, at least I wont feel any compulsion to buy whatever this figure comes with.
    thenos
  • blarghiflarghblarghiflargh Member Posts: 99
    I suppose it could be worse, it could be yet another Legolas.
    ShibDiggydoesthenos
  • CircleKCircleK U.S. - Columbus, OhioMember Posts: 1,055

^(I was joking) But you are right, except the Lego Store itself, I haven't seen any store selling the whole range of Hobbit 3.

The only store in my area to carry the entire 3rd wave was Meijer. Target had the smaller two for a short time and now they don't have any. I haven't seen any at Kmart or Walmart that I remember.

Such a sad ending for the theme.
  • plasmodiumplasmodium UKMember Posts: 1,939
    So Lego is obviously engaging with the launch of the BoFA DVD...So when do we get the last part of the video game? I guess it would make sense to launch it with the DVD, as they missed launching it with the film.

My two cents would be that this fig is for the DVD/blu-ray, as it would be hard to distribute figs with a DLC pack.
    Andor
  • Sethro3Sethro3 United StatesMember Posts: 819
    Very limited release. I don't know if LEGO dropped the ball or if the fans just weren't there.

I haven't really seen these available anywhere near me. I need to get them ordered soon probably.
  • GalactusGalactus NLMember Posts: 255
    Is it possible, perhaps, that there's going to be a DK book with 'Tolkien's LEGO universe'?
    plasmodiumdannyrww
  • PhoneboothPhonebooth USMember Posts: 1,430
    edited January 2015

@CCC
    Thanks for your opinion, but I don't think that you can make that claim at all. I have some idea about the consumer purchasing impact of minifig variation on sales.

and that is....?
  • TheBigGuyTheBigGuy New ZealandMember Posts: 69
    edited January 2015
    *sigh* Four comments is all it took....
  • yys4uyys4u USA SoCalMember Posts: 1,092

Venunder said:

Is that even a Hobbit?

It's supposed to be Bard's son. IMO he doesn't look young enough in the movie to need the short legs, but I guess they want to make it clear he isn't yet an adult.
    He was actually pretty young when they first shot it, but they had to do re shoot some scenes and in between that time he grew a lot. It's hard to tell cause they covered it really well, but he was actually supposed to be pretty young.
    Andor
    edited January 2015

@CCC

and that is....?

Sheesh. Is going all ad hominem really useful to what ever the heck it was we were discussing here?
    Galactus said:

Is it possible, perhaps, that there's going to be a DK book with 'Tolkien's LEGO universe'?

Hadn't thought about that. Quite enjoyed the Harry Potter one despite being only a minor fan of the books/films. I'm a much bigger Star Wars fan, but I've never picked up the equivalent book. If they did a LotR one it'd have to feature some of the really impressive MOCs out there, especially to make up for all the infamous sets they never made.
    Andor
    ^ They managed to fill the Batman one on not many sets. Hobbit and LOTR combined is probably enough.
    Andor
  • dannyrwwdannyrww WisconsinMember Posts: 1,344
    Is it possible this is one of a set of minifigures being released similar to the cubes? Bain and some other denizens of Laketown perhaps? It just seems an odd choice and there may be something we are missing here. Maybe the whole Bard family?
    Andor
    There is another cube coming, but I'm fairly sure it is like the last one - four unrelated minifigs.
  • LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,727
    Or....is it possibly an abandoned fig perhaps? Like a certain PotC set? @Yellowcastle‌. ;o)
    Andor
  • AndorAndor United StatesMember Posts: 252
    Great suggestion @dannyrww‌. I hope it is what you propose. Whatever it turns out to be, I will glad be buying that Bain minifigure if can get hold of that him for a decent price.
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,401
    Legoboy said:

Or....is it possibly an abandoned fig perhaps? Like a certain PotC set? @Yellowcastle‌. ;o)

Explain the inside joke because "Old Yeller" hasn't been active since may.

Andor
    @Matthew will oblige I'm sure. ;-)
    Matthew
  • sidersddsidersdd USAMember Posts: 2,432
    Legoboy said:

Are you saying this may be an abandoned Dutch Boy?
    Legoboy
    Mayyyyybe?
    Legoboy said:

Mayyyyybe?

Maybe the fig is Bergil, son of Beregond, which hints at an abandoned Minas Tirith set. Is that your clever/foolish hint?
    Lol, I really wasn't hinting anything. Was just saying it might be from an abandoned set. :)

No hidden or cryptic clues. Honest Guv.
    Andor
    Legoboy said:

Lol, I really wasn't hinting anything. Was just saying it might be from an abandoned set. :)

No hidden or cryptic clues. Honest Guv.

I know. But wouldn't there have been at least a little bit of fun in stirring up Minas Tirith rumors? ;)
    It's 02.35 here and not really with it Up in 4 hours. Sometimes these things need spelling out. We'll cook something up another time. ;)
    Andorsidersdd
  • threepwood1138threepwood1138 United KingdomMember Posts: 38
    Photo of Bluray with exclusive figures on thedigitalbits here:http://www.thedigitalbits.com/columns/my-two-cents/012015_1530
    veign06
    Two figs. Whatever next, eh?!
  • andheandhe UKMember Posts: 2,873

Two figs. Whatever next, eh?!

3?

• klatu003klatu003 Hobbiton, Shire, Middle EarthMember Posts: 721
    And so the theme ends with a whimper.....

We finally saw the Hobbit3 in the theater. I was pleasantly surprised that it was better than Hobbit2 - although way to long. PJ went back to using the incredible landscapes of NZ to good effect. The "white Orc" (whatever his name is) was pretty unscary, he was almost handsome under his scars - symetrical features and all. Bleh.

Since Lego had to follow the movie as source material, they could have given us Dain's Battle Boar. That would have been fun.

The Dol Guldor scene with Galadriel was entertaining. We got a great minifig pack from #79015, but three sets was a waste of slots in the line.

Beside the fact that we got no Gondor related sets or minifigs, we didn't get elves with battle helms which would be helpful for MOCing the rest of middle earth. collecttolkien.com/images/Helmets/Helm%20FOTR%20High%20Elven%20UC%20Jan2005%20$400.jpg

Sigh. Guess I must be grateful for what we got, which was better than none at all. I will now stop beating the dead LOTR/Hobbit horse and go admire my Middle Earth denizens.
    PoochyTheBigLegoski
    ^I can imagine the LOTR/Hobbit theme becoming an in joke amongst AFOLs about how not to handle an AFOL theme. Give it a few years an "it's going to be another LOTR style disaster" could be common place.
  • LostInTranslationLostInTranslation UKMember Posts: 5,547
    edited January 2015
    @klatu003 - I know he was CGIed but the actor "playing" Azog is indeed quite handsome :-)
    It's Manu Bennett, who incidentally also plays Deathstroke/Slade in Arrow, a character we will be getting in Lego form in the summer. I found this interview with him online in which he interestingly comments on the Lego Azog character.
    (http://www.empireonline.com/interviews/interview.asp?IID=1660 )

"...There was a lot of time pressure...I was in the studio doing things for Azog four weeks before the premiere! In some ways I was the final ingredient to the whole thing. Being called in that late meant I missed out on the whole promotional machine. There were no images or footage of Azog in the trailers, because nothing was available. When I was in New York recently, I saw a Lego set for the scene with the tree and the flaming pine cones, and it had a little toy of Bolg (Azog's ginger-bearded son, who will appear in The Desolation Of Smaug and There And Back Again), not Azog. That's because the design that ended up as Bolg was originally meant for Azog. Azog was going to be a seven-foot giant, played with prosthetics, but Peter changed his mind and decided to go with something less bulky, and played with motion-capture. I think his decision surprised everybody at the time."

Is he right? I thought it was Azog in that set?

Edit: no he's wrong (and I'm wrong). He must mean #79002 which has "Yazneg" (apparently), neither Bolg nor Azog. Maybe the SDCC exclusive came about because of the late changes to the character when TLG had already started production on a minifig?

TheBigLegoski
    ^Having recently finished watching season 2 of Arrow I just read that in Slade's voice :-P
    LostInTranslation
  • LostInTranslationLostInTranslation UKMember Posts: 5,547
    edited January 2015
    Slade would've called the interviewer "kid" at some point as he always does with Oliver.

Quote from his IMDB page:

"Trademark:
    Deep gravelly voice"

:-)
    Shib
    I think I might even have subconsciously added the word kid to the end of a couple of sentences too.
    LostInTranslation

Is he right? I thought it was Azog in that set?

Edit: no he's wrong (and I'm wrong). He must mean #79002 which has "Yazneg" (apparently), neither Bolg nor Azog. Maybe the SDCC exclusive came about because of the late changes to the character when TLG had already started production on a minifig?

We don't get Bolg at all.

I didn't realise that Azog is also "Crixus". I guess it is a bit like Andy Serkis. When you know he is Gollum, you can spot the odd facial detail.