Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Prototype Parts

AScaryOctopusAScaryOctopus Member Posts: 57
edited October 2011 in Collecting
I am pretty sure this goes in collecting.

Anyway, I like to look at prototype stuff, maybe it's the feeling of looking at would could never have been. I've only seen the usual (Red Darth Vader helm, Red Ghosts, Green Knight Helmets...), but I know the real gems are in some people collections.

So, could we have a thread for showing off prototype colors and parts? I know it would be an interesting topic for more than just me.

Here's something from me though:

I used to have a lot of parts I did not know were valuable, my uncle once worked at LEGO and he occasionally gave me cool parts that I thought were just ordinary pieces that just came with sets that I didn't own, and they were quite bizarre. Some include:

Green Swordfish

Blue Treasure Chests

Green Treasure Chests

Blue Cannon

Red Pirate Hat

There was probably more but that is all I remember, I sold them all in a yard sale a couple years ago though and I deeply regret that.

Comments

• LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409
    The funny thing is whoever bought them probably doesn't know they are rare either. :)
  • andheandhe UKMember Posts: 3,704
    Green? I thought prototypes, or at least all of the ones I have seen, are red and black.
    I have shared this previously, but I recently won a black pony and a white pony (that were only produced in brown) and a black polar bear on eBay.
    The seller also had an orange prototype c-3po, which I'd be interested to know where that ended up!
  • davee123davee123 USAMember Posts: 832
    Prototypes can be in pretty much any color-- typically LEGO makes the initial prototypes in red, because that color is generally easier to see details than other colors. But otherwise, prototypes range in the full gamut of colors. One of the odder ones I recall seeing was the old 1999 Rock Monster in trans-neon green!

Also, look closely at the prototype elements you have in other colors. The molds may not QUITE be the same as the normal elements! I've got a scimitar that looks totally normal, except instead of a stud at the end, it's got a stud HOLE at the end. Also, I've got a robot-arm with slightly longer-than-normal clip ends, and some battle droid heads that are just a bit bigger than the normal heads!

DaveE