Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

Chroble

margotmargot Member Posts: 2,310
edited January 2015 in Shopping USA/Canada
I just noticed these shelves/stands today and they are 25% off. Pricey but beautiful. http://chroble.com
pharmjodwaynegg

Comments

• Rainstorm26Rainstorm26 Chicago Burbs USA (and sometimes Ireland)Member Posts: 1,004
    They do look very nice, but you need some kind of dust cover.
  • StuBoyStuBoy New ZealandMember Posts: 623
    Notice Jar Jar is facing backwards? Nice idea, shelf looks possibly a tad chunky for me. Very pricey though.
  • wayneggwaynegg Texas,USAMember Posts: 394
    edited January 2015
    Those are made of Bolivian rosewood, an exotic from the rain forests in South America. Back when I did a lot of woodworking I made a Monoploy chest out of it (and paid for it since it turned out I was allergic to the stuff and was covered head to toe in sawdust all day while working on it :().The last price for that wood was $75 per board foot (1 inch x 1 foot X 1 foot) for rough timber which then had to be planed (minimum of 3/16" turned to sawdust in process) and cut (minimum 1/8" turned to sawdust in process). That means they started with 2" thick boards (or at least paid for that much) to get the 1 3/4" thickness. Bolivian rosewood is now illegal to import, and those who have a stock of it can command whatever price they want. All in all, the price for these is very reasonable. I'm sure they could be made from other species for much less, which gives me an idea if there's a lot of interest in these.
    CCC
  • FatMattFatMatt USMember Posts: 502
    ^If you read in the "about" section, he says they are made from walnut.
  • wayneggwaynegg Texas,USAMember Posts: 394
    ^ interesting. I've never seen walnut that dark or with that closed of a grain. It's usually much more open like oak. Walnut runs $25-30/bd foot so he has about half his sale price invested in each rack. Still not too bad, but definitely not as good a deal as my first impression thought it was. Thanks!
  • margotmargot Member Posts: 2,310
    waynegg said:

I'm sure they could be made from other species for much less, which gives me an idea if there's a lot of interest in these.

I think he's thinking the same thing if you check out his Facebook page. He originally posted about these here but not sure if he ever checks back. @‌chrobledesigns

While they are pricey, I agree, that they aren't overpriced for what they are. Kind of like Lego. :-)
    waynegg