Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

For the minority: a cheap(er) way to Lego in Middle-Earth (New Zealand)

ModelMamaModelMama New ZealandMember Posts: 27
How many on this forum are from New Zealand? no idea. But in case no other Kiwi has stumbled across this trick:
Mighty Ape, the online NZ retailer, sells a good range of Lego. If you are also a Westpac Mastercard member, and get hotpoints, you can convert 9,000 points to a $50 e-voucher for Mighty Ape. If you are disciplined enough to pay by credit card but pay in full each month - well, I usually manage around $200 in vouchers per annum - with a decent sale, that has been enough to get (for example) a half-price Orthanc, or PS (just yesterday) for only $89 cash. Or rather, credit card. Just to start the ball rolling again ;)

Comments

• StuBoyStuBoy New ZealandMember Posts: 623
    Hi, I'm from NZ! I'm not with Westpac, but nice move. I've been a bit absent from the Lego scene this year, just got back into it leading up to Christmas with my boys getting into Star Wars. I tend to stick with the big retailers, and also Toyco has a great range and occasionally discount the large sets.
  • ModelMamaModelMama New ZealandMember Posts: 27
    @StuBoy - sons/Star Wars combo? methinks you won't be allowed to be much absent in future!
    @Huw - can you tell me how many New Zealanders are on this forum?
    StuBoy
  • Jern92Jern92 MalaysiaMember Posts: 752
    I'm with ANZ, so can't do that sadly. But I think Mighty Ape has the best deals by far. A few months ago I got the Town Hall for $250, which beats any retailer.
    Impressive!
  • TLGTLG Member Posts: 125
    So, how is collecting LEGO in NZ? I have always admired you guys, it seems like a higher-class of living there. Anyways, is it hard to collect LEGO ?
  • Jern92Jern92 MalaysiaMember Posts: 752
    edited December 2014
    TLG said:

So, how is collecting LEGO in NZ? I have always admired you guys, it seems like a higher-class of living there. Anyways, is it hard to collect LEGO ?

It's expensive (with taxes and duties factored in), shipping costs up to $80 unless we buy above $400 where it's free, some sets never make it here (I'm looking at you, RI!), and we never get stuff early like the rest of the world do. Oh, and no PAB stores anywhere, or proper LEGO stores.

Other than that, not too bad really once you get the hang of it. Large sets actually come on sale here together with normal sets, which brings them to about the same RRP in the US. One sales come up, resellers do have a tendency of buying up lots of sets, something leaving none in stores for actual collectors/players (PC, anyone?).
    @TLG - your username had me there for a split split second.
    I would struggle to continue this hobby without Brickset & Bricklink. I'm for building rather than collecting - I bricklinked the Queen Anne and then wanted to sell it, but my daughters wouldn't hear of it.
    Maybe they're all just in hiding, but here in the world's coolest little capital, I come across hardly anyone who goes in for Lego like I do. One friend. And he only does SW. Sigh. Auckland & Christchurch actually have a LUG! such luxury.
    Andor
    ^ Yeah, I don't know any proper AFOLs, but I think I inspired a few friends to get back into it in a small way. One is into Star Wars and the other Technic. Also, my brother in law has a couple of small sets he's bought for himself on the sly :smile:

On a related note - did you see the signs in the Lego aisle at The Warehouse this Christmas saying "Isn't it about time Dad got his own Lego?" Haha, looks like the retailers might be getting on to us.
    ModelMama
    Someone up the road from us put on a Christmas Lego display this year, in their ground floor window, along with their lights. A combo of WV sets, a classic space cruiser I remember having such a long time ago, and Benny's outsized version. Maybe I should introduce myself, they almost looked like they qualified as AFOL.
    ^ I think the classic space set gives them away as being an AFOL! Maybe you could do a joint display next Christmas?
    StuBoy said:

^ I think the classic space set gives them away as being an AFOL! Maybe you could do a joint display next Christmas?

would need a rather larger window than theirs... but you've got me thinking.
    StuBoy