Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

What non-Lego tools to you use to build with?

rdflegordflego in a world of his ownMember Posts: 324
Hi everyone

I'm wondering what tools people use to build with other than the two styles of brick separators and the ruler. For example I'm going to get some good tweezers to make sticker application easier in the near future but was wondering if there is anything else I should be looking out for.

Thanks

Comments

• PaperballparkPaperballpark UKMember Posts: 3,382
    Huh? I don't use anything. Stickers go on by hand (including the 135 on the Maersk Triple-E ship). What on earth do you use a ruler for?

Oh, I do use scissors to cut the box seals, but that's it.
  • rdflegordflego in a world of his ownMember Posts: 324
    I meant the lego branded ruler 852759-1. I do use my penknife to open the boxes I must admit.
  • dejavudejavu USAMember Posts: 235
    There are TWO styles of brick separators?
    Yep @dejavu‌; 630-1 & 630-3. Interestingly you can find both in green but not orange.
  • dejavudejavu USAMember Posts: 235
    Hmm. I've never seen 630-1 before. The only other tool I use besides the brick separator and tweezers is a good cup of coffee. I find that very helpful.
  • SuperTrampSuperTramp City 17Member Posts: 1,021
    edited December 2014
    I use one of these, i like my builds to take years

Sometimes this for the more of a challenge

rdflegoNatebwGalactusThe_Mad_VulcanAdzbadboysnowhitiemonkeygmonkey76
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,406
    My hands... And sometimes my brain.
  • SuperTrampSuperTramp City 17Member Posts: 1,021
    I have the whip too, excellent tool for dismantling.
    Pitfall69
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,215
    edited December 2014
    I think there is another thread explaining what tools are used for sticker application/removal.
    I tend to use an offset Xacto black #16 scoring blade for stickers for removing or applying. Have to be careful to not cut/pierce the sticker of course
  • rancorbaitrancorbait Manitoba CanadaMember Posts: 1,850
    Jacob Unterreiner is a pro at applying stickers, (Example here) and he recommends using a minifig crowbar and Xacto knife, which I have found to be very effective.
    I tend to use my fingers.
    Stickers I think I have planned out with the addition of a set of modelling tweezers next year. I was just curious about how you guys opened the boxes and bags, how you maintained the cleanliness of your mocs, how to keep dust away, etc.
  • cody6268cody6268 Member Posts: 246
    Batteries, of course. If you've got Power Fuctions products you know you'll need them.

Pocketknife, or other sharp object for opening bags.

My teeth, much to the dislike of my dentist, when I can't remember where the heck I put Lego's crowbar or spanner part. I need to buy brick separators, several to be exact.
    ^ I use the rechargable battery pack, I tear the bags open from the side, and I have tonnes of brick separators. Merry xmas by the way.
    Merry Christmas @Paperballpark‌ and everyone else. May your presents rattle with a sound we know and love.
  • GalactusGalactus NLMember Posts: 255
    I use a hobby knife for applying stickers and opening boxes; I cut the seals and in case of thumb tabs (which I keep intact) I carefully cut the glued patch without damaging the box itself. The plastic bags are always opened by hand.
  • DoubleDDoubleD Oklahoma, USAMember Posts: 488
    I use a chainsaw to open the box, but with fine teeth you know to keep stuff tidy. But really a pocket knife and a brick separator to put on stickers, but the lego crowbar is something I will try
  • MorkManMorkMan Phoenix, Arizona, USAMember Posts: 853
    edited December 2014
    I use a box cutter, a razor blade and sometimes an Exacto knife to cut the plates/bricks. I have created a LEGO built stand to cut the parts correctly. Example thread here.
  • MrShinyAndNewMrShinyAndNew Member Posts: 240
    I use plastic food storage containers to hold parts. When building a kit, I open each polybag into one little tub. When building a MOC, I gradually fill these little tubs with various parts I am using, so that I don't need to keep reaching for the larger storage boxes they are put in. When putting Lego away, I lay out a dozen tubs on the table and sort parts into the little tubs according to which larger box they'll end up in.

I also have a set of lego-like screwdrivers and a flashlight. The screwdrivers are useful for getting batteries in and out of the PF battery box, and the flashlight is useful when you need to see into dark corners of your MOC.
    rdflego
  • RevBluesRevBlues Member Posts: 117
    English breakfast tea and Crawford's jam rings.
    rdflego
    @RevBlues‌ That sounds like an essential
    RevBlues
  • KiwiLegoMeisterKiwiLegoMeister New ZealandMember Posts: 212
    Do teeth and fingernails count?