The forum is now at http://forum.brickset.com. Please update your bookmarks.
Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.
You must be 16 or over to participate in the Brickset Forum. Please read the announcements and rules before you join.

Preparing of the Building

Hey Everyone, it's soon christmas - so you may be getting or/and giving LEGO - And soon enough it's also the 1st of January, and new LEGO sets will be appearing on the shelves.
I would like to know about your preparing of the building. I am not sure if this has been a topic before.

To give an example, I will be giving my own rituals:

- The set: I highly prefer to buy new and unopened LEGO sets, preferably from LEGO itself - this way I am sure to get it the way it should be/the full experience.
- Place: (It may be very common) - but I greatly prefer to build my sets at home.
- Light: Light is an important factor, I make sure to have plenty of light available. No sunlight.
- Environment: A general thing is to keep the building room free from bad smelling and humidity. Possible keeping a single window open while building. And I will be preferring to build while it's dark outside.
- Cleaning 1: I will be build the set on a simple squared table with a white surface, which I will be wiping clean at first.
- Cleaning 2: I will be carefully washing my hands in hot water and soap - and dry the off.
- Clothing (Upper body): Nothing special, but usually I will be wearing a casual t-shirt, for easy mobility and movement. No headwear. No glasses.
- Health: I won't be starting the building; if I am too tired, starving or thirsty. Eating before cleaning, to avoid fats on the skin. Maybe some sugars (softdrink) while building, to keep the brain working at maximum performance. No music. No stress.
- Timing: I will make sure that I have the needed time to build the set without interruption from the outside world.
- After: I mostly use my sets for displaying.

I would like to hear from everyone and especially people with slights of OCD.
And I hope this topic might interest you as well.

Happy Christmas!

// Ask
dejavuklatu003

Comments

• rdflegordflego in a world of his ownMember Posts: 324
    I have a differing set of standards to you. I buy my sets from an independent shop I call my 'dealer'. I prefer to be casually dressed and build in a dark environment with one or two Luxo-esc lamps. I don't build in silence though, I prefer having a podcast on my tablet just as background noise.

All this takes place in my office with the rest of my collection between 1600 - 0200 depending on the size of the set. I put in a 10 foot kitchen worktop in there and moc'd a set of squares out of spare bricks to keep each bag in. This helps me maximise the efficiency of the process.

I don't clean myself or my environment before I start, after doing housework throughout the week I quickly learnt that it is an uphill battle I can choose to ignore when I sit down. I will have a beverage or some sweets to keep me company; especially if I'm building a larger set that could take me a few hours. Finally all of my sets are pieced out asap afterwords so I can get to building mocs.

Glad I'm not the only one curious about this.
  • HuwHuw Brickset Towers, Hampshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,243
    Slightly OCD, that's an understatement :-)

I will wash my hands every 20 mins or so while building to keep oils off the parts, which is important if I'm going to be photographing the model for a review. My wife thinks that's OCD enough...
    rdflegocarlqMorkMan
    I find that odd @Huw‌, I never wash my hands before building but I never touch the faces of trans of mirrored pieces. Do people really wash their hands that often while building?
  • akunthitaakunthita USAMember Posts: 1,009
    OMG! The Brickset Forum now has smileys??? That was my biggest gripe before! I can't live without smileys! :smiley: :blush: :heart_eyes:
    It should't have! We don't like them! :smile:
    gmonkey76MorkMan
    edited December 2014
    @Huw! LOL! You British are too serious! I vote for keeping the smileys! :D :sunglasses: :smiling_imp: :smile: :blush: :heart_eyes: Sorry.... I'm just having fun. I will stop now... :wink:
    edited December 2014
    They draw the eye too easily and make it harder to read posts.

Next you'll be wanting Eurobricks-style signatures :)
    @Huw... naw, I don't care for signitures. But smileys are cute little buggers and they can help to put a sentence into context. Like if you are beeing cheeky, or serious, or teasing... something that is hard to convey otherwise. :)
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO USMember Posts: 8,903
    I just build when I want to in my home. Now preferably at a table as opposed to the floor, though tables usually also mean parts rolling onto the floor as well. I just ensure that my LEGO is not in direct sunlight when done.

Is LEGO now so weak in quality that one must wash their hands before building sets?
    Or is it a 'do not want fingerprints on them' kind of thing? Washing hands to remove oil may not be all that effective if you happen to touch anything else while building the set, or do people wash their hands again if they catch themselves itching their faces or arms, or legs?
    Now I can see washing hands to remove oil while placing stickers, as these stickers now are so godawful that anything can make them peel.

If anything I tend to wash my hands AFTER building if anything, especially with whatever they seem to put on tires now to stop them from drying out.
    gmonkey76
    Ha, @madforLEGO‌ your icon is a perfect match to that statement. I agree that washing hands before is a little over the top if you're not displaying what you've made. I rather like the feel of the rubber though on the current tyres, but I have always liked the smell of rubber in general.
  • canon03canon03 USAMember Posts: 317
    For a long time, I felt like a surgeon....thoroughly washed hands then straight to the building table, being sure not to touch anything else. A little like the Seinfeld episode where he tossed his belt because it grazed the urinal.

I'm a little better now...just a little.
    dejavu
  • PaperballparkPaperballpark UKMember Posts: 3,279
    I have a white table (£17 from ikea) which I use to build on, as there's no patterns on it and it's dead easy to see all the parts. I'll always make sure I have enough time to finish the build, or build section if it's a large set like a modular. I'll also wash my hands if I've just been eating or if they feel a bit sweaty.

I don't clean the table, because the only thing that's ever on it is Lego. To build I use foil and plastic trays to tip the bags into, and if there isn't sufficient natural light I'll turn the room light on.

Oh and on the subject of smilies, I have to admit I preferred the old way where they weren't replaced with yellow faces in the post. If we have to have them, can they just be limited to 3 or 4, so that there isn't a ton of them, and definitely not different colours!
  • dejavudejavu USAMember Posts: 235
    Especially like the bunny slippers.

• jadeirenejadeirene US, CaliforniaMember Posts: 475
    I can't believe that no one else has mentioned sorting the parts before building. They must be sorted by color, part type, and size. All parts need to have the LEGO logo facing up, and turned so that the logo faces me.

This is all done with blue nitrile gloves on, as cotton ones may leave lint. =)
    gmonkey76
    I am a little OCD myself, so I'm very much enjoying this thread. Which I read in alphabetical order.

I do love building a new set. I also like to stretch out the building experience, so I line up all my bricks by color and shape. As you can see when I built the Medieval Village Marketplace.
    carlq
    Sometimes the layout is quite pretty.
    bluedragon
  • monkeymonkey Member Posts: 232
    I wash hands before, when I don't forget. But I've stopped obsessing over retaining the cleanliness of my lego at all times. It is clean (washed then rinsed in RO water) when it is stored. But whatever is being built will get dust and prints on sooner or later, so I just enjoy the process/display and wash the bricks later when I decide to dismantle the thing.
    Sorting the pieces? I may be rather OCD, but I'm not that OCD.

Oh and it's now recognised that drying yourself with a clean towel will introduce less germs than air-drying (especially in public toilets), because they're not being circulated by the airflow. ;)
  • chuxtoyboxchuxtoybox Member Posts: 711
    I usually build while watching TV. I do wash my hands first because I want to keep the set in "new" condition or at least the elements as much as possible. I don't sort, just dump everything on the table and hunt for the right piece.

If the set has numerous bags I will sometimes build one bag a day in order to stretch the build because I can't afford to buy the larger sets as often as I would like. I did this with the Black Pearl.

Then I bring the finished set up to my Lego room which is completely unorganized right now so I fit them on a shelf somewhere.
  • astarguyastarguy Member Posts: 37
    i don't wash my hands before i build but after reading the above posts i guess i should. i usually build on my days off and in the morning while the wife is sleeping. i usually use the dinning room table but soon i am moving into a house that will feature an unused bedroom that i hope i and then set up my drafting table to use for building. (it was a great help to have that while i was baching it two years ago while building tower bridge 10214. sometimes i have youtube playing music video playlist or sometimes i have the tv on. it just depends.
  • matticus_bricksmatticus_bricks Member Posts: 647

/reads thread
    /backs away slowly
    /runs from the nutters

Ditto. I usually like to have clean hands and if I really like the set I save the box. That's about all the specifications I have for building process. Building is usually done on my dusty black desk and all the parts in the numbered bag being built are dumped in a pile and picked through for the parts I need.

And before I came here I thought I was weird. :neutral_face:
  • My procudure typically consists of initially preparing for the sacrificial offering to the gods of an inferior M*ga B***cks element, before I cleanse my hands in the holy water of the municipal water plant. Following that, I crack my knuckles at approximately 85 degrees, before I systematically open relevant bags in the set, extracting each individual element with pliers, swabbing them one at a time with a q-tip, before placing them in the appropriate spot on the model. In the event that the model cannot be successful completed, I will contact LEGO customer support, and the associated family of bricks, for moral support and therapy.
    Well it takes all sorts, as this discussion is proving :)
  • mr_bennmr_benn United KingdomMember Posts: 813
    I go into the garage, choose a set, find a tray, plonk a cushion on the floor of the lounge and generally build sitting on the floor with pieces on trays whilst my wife and I watch tv. Maybe with a glass of wine if it isn't a school night!
    MorkMan
  • dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,112
    Huw said:

for the love of all that is good, dump the smilies please...

• piratemania7piratemania7 New EnglandMember Posts: 1,946
  • GalactusGalactus NLMember Posts: 255

I have a white table (£17 from ikea) which I use to build on, as there's no patterns on it and it's dead easy to see all the parts.

Even trans-clear parts?
  • plasmodiumplasmodium UKMember Posts: 1,935
    dougts said:

Huw said:

for the love of all that is good, dump the smilies please...

Put little 'noses' in your smileys and it won't change them. ;-)

On topic, though...I have traces of OCD, but nothing this bad! What do you guys do for second hand sets?
    "Second-hand sets"???!!!! Get serious.
    plasmodium
  • LegonizerLegonizer San Diego, CAMember Posts: 39
    I almost always get my LEGO sets from the LEGO store 30 minutes from my house, unless it's a gift or there's a deal I can't pass up on Amazon (which isn't often). I usually build within a day or two of getting the set. I pull out my folding table and set it up in the living room, in front of the tv. Sometimes, I'll watch a stand-up special on netflix while a build, sometimes I leave the tv off and listen to music streamed from youtube. I open the box and dump it on the table, set aside the un-bagged parts, and open the bags labled 1 (or all the bags if they're not numbered), and power through all the bags numerically in one sitting. Finally, I put the set on an Ikea shelf (they have the perfect dimensions for 7 32x32 plates in a row, excellent for displaying modulars), where it remains until I deconstruct it to make room for something else or because I need the parts for MOC.
  • empireempire BC, CanadaMember Posts: 43
    I just wipe off my table, open the box, dump out all the bags and put them in order, then start building. Nothing too fancy, i'll wash my hands sometimes, just to keep the smudges down as much as possible, especially for applying stickers.

Sets don't stay unbuilt around me for very long, I usually start on it right away. I don't build big things all at once, maybe an hour or two, take a break, then carry on. For some reason I like to go pretty fast, so anything longer and I start to lose focus a bit.
  • Canuck26Canuck26 Member Posts: 55
    CDO - OCD, but in alphabetical order, just like it should be.

I thought that I had a pretty good case of OCD, but after reading this thread, I feel as close to "normal" as I've ever felt.

@Dawn - Love your post. My kind of humour.
  • L3goL3go Member Posts: 32
    SO being very new here and early into my Lego journey, my preperation for my first build was now were near as OCD as some of you guys. Infant it was so fare down the other end of the scale you would not be able to see me.

Firstly I did not wash my hands and seeing I did not have the time to build in one sitting this build has spanned a few nights over a few weeks (taking my time).

I emptied all of the bags (10 i think with multiple of some numbers) :open_mouth: in to a box so all the pieces are now mixed up :

When I have time to build, I empty the box onto the floor and start to hunt for each piece I need part by part - this was how I used to play with Lego as a child.

• cheshirecatcheshirecat Member Posts: 5,332
    Congratulations! You are normal.
    rdflego

Congratulations! You are normal.

Relatively speaking. Normal for an AFOL, you mean.
  • Greedfly13Greedfly13 Member Posts: 19
    @Dawn...post of the year, thanks for the hearty laugh!
  • SanddoodleSanddoodle Member Posts: 13
    No one has mentioned keeping the Cheeto product at least 10 meters from the LEGO product while working. Am I the only one with this problem, er, rule?
  • plasmodiumplasmodium UKMember Posts: 1,935

No one has mentioned keeping the Cheeto product at least 10 meters from the LEGO product while working. Am I the only one with this problem, er, rule?

I don't think so! Cheeto residue is pretty gross - I don't think that's a problem, I think that's a sensible precaution.
  • AdzbadboyAdzbadboy London, UKMember Posts: 2,611
    Open the bags and smell the fresh bricks before tipping them out***

***Try it before you respond to this comment.
  • matticus_bricksmatticus_bricks Member Posts: 647
    Adzbadboy said:

I thought I was the only one who loved that new brick smell! It's a sort of sweet plastic chemical smell, and I never remember smelling it on bricks back in the day. Must be something new.

• GallardoLUGallardoLU USAMember Posts: 644
    so I am far from OCD in most ways, for example if its a small set I pop it open build on the floor and enjoy what ever is on TV. while larger sets (1000+ pieces) I get a table out and do as before.

HOWEVER there is one rule that every one must follow while I'm building! Don't touch a thing! not a brick, not a wrapper! Nothing!

I know where everything is around me, my mind has a brilliant ability to track my movements and those of other objects I have moved, and then recall it hours or days later. but if someone touches something as useless as an empty parts bag it drives me batty! I know it moved but not were any longer. wife hates me when builds take more than a few hours.
    Galactus
  • jasorjasor United StatesMember Posts: 839

Adzbadboy said:

I thought I was the only one who loved that new brick smell! It's a sort of sweet plastic chemical smell, and I never remember smelling it on bricks back in the day. Must be something new.

That fresh brick smell is carcinogens straight from the factory. Enjoy!
    Galactus said:

I have a white table (£17 from ikea) which I use to build on, as there's no patterns on it and it's dead easy to see all the parts.

Even trans-clear parts?
    Yes, even trans-clear parts!