Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

prof1515prof1515 EarthMember Posts: 1,561
edited April 2011 in Forum Operation
You might want to consider expanding the guidelines for avatars to include picture size (x pixels by y pixels in dimension), file size (so many kb or mb), file type (ie, jpeg rather than say bitmap) and content of the image (I'm not one for censorship but there are likely some who won't use common sense and upset others).

Comments

• HuwHuw Brickset Towers, Hampshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,807
    If the system lets them be uploaded then they are OK: I don't know what the size/dimension restructions are, and can't change them.

We can obviously keep an eye out for inappropriate ones.
  • drdavewatforddrdavewatford Hertfordshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,608
    If the system lets them be uploaded then they are OK: I don't know what the size/dimension restructions are, and can't change them.

We can obviously keep an eye out for inappropriate ones.
    Fully agree; the system resizes the pics anyway, and it's up to the Admins and Mods (with the help of the community who can bring things to our attention) to intervene in the event of appropriate avatar content.
  • TownTown Member Posts: 68
    I can't even figure out how to upload an avatar.
    Click on your name then 'change my picture'
  • TownTown Member Posts: 68
    Thanks
  • prof1515prof1515 EarthMember Posts: 1,561
    The program says a file size no greater than 2 mb.

Incidently, the program for uploading a photo uses some very strange protocols. My computer recognizes those protocols as matching the same kind frequently used by viruses and shuts down my browser automatically. There's no reason that uploading a photo should require the kind of operations that this system is using. Anything you can do about that? Yes, I realize I could lower the security setting on my computer but I've never encountered any problems with any other uploader (phpbb, Facebook, photobucket, etc.) which points to the issue being this uploader.
  • brickmattbrickmatt USAMember Posts: 100
    If I decide to use a photo, would it be all right if I used one of your minifig photos, Huw?
    ^ Go for it, and thanks for asking :-)
  • brickmattbrickmatt USAMember Posts: 100
    edited April 2011
    ^Done, and thanks.
  • GalactusGalactus NLMember Posts: 255
    Can all bricksetforum.com members use brickset.com images? If yes, maybe it's an idea to give explicite permission for this specific use somewhere.
  • YpresYpres Member Posts: 200
    Avatars are nice... but without strict rules they go the wrong direction. I like the idea of photographing minifigs. I however, have taken to a photo I took while in Maui. Kinda reminded me of a peaceful spot on the Western Front (Great War). It really takes me back to another time....

The avatar system is quite simple, so there's no problems on my end. Thanks.
    ^^ I don't see why not, so yes, that's a good idea, I'll add it to the annoucements somewhere.
    edited September 2015
    @Huw, somewhere during this year my avatar disappeared. I'd like to reinstate my avatar with the Hazmat Guy pic I used to have. I checked the Forum-rules-and-code-of-conduct but there's nothing in there about using the Brickset images as an avatar. Is your reply/consent still valid on this matter?

Edit: I just saw your comment on the pictures from Bricklink here, so maybe that's what changed? Anyway, I'm still curious whether or not I can use the image from Brickset.com on Bricksetforum.com as an avatar...
    Update: after Huw's comment here I re-uploaded my avatar.
    I don't think it will be a problem...
    Galactus