where have all the mods gone?

cheshirecatcheshirecat Member Posts: 5,332
I know some would like a more softly moderated forum which is fair enough but over the last couple of months it seems that the mods have really stepped back. And its not just the more controversial splitting or merging discussions but fairly standard tidying up . I'm not seeing any spam so perhaps they're still busy clearing those up but just seemed odd how little we seem to see them now, including their posts.

Comments

• LostInTranslationLostInTranslation UKMember Posts: 5,520
    edited December 2014
    That is a good point, it does seem like a lot of the admins or mods have stepped back from the forum in general. Maybe we could do with some more active members being "promoted? (Not volunteering btw!)

Edit - I mean no criticism of the mods in my comment. As someone who volunteered to do a role in my LUG then found I had less free time than I thought to do it well, I understand that your personal life will always come first.
    But threads like this
    http://www.bricksetforum.com/discussion/17872/looking-to-trade-for-21100-shinkai-21101-hayabusa-21104-mars-rover#latest
    can't be allowed to continue. It makes the forum look petty and hostile. But the market place guidelines serve a valuable purpose and should be enforced, by recognised mods and admins.
  • BooTheMightyHamsterBooTheMightyHamster Northern edge of London, just before the dragons...Member Posts: 1,293
    Let's just leave it as it is!!
    :o)
  • EddieDoesntMindEddieDoesntMind Member Posts: 329
    A majority of them have logged in today, maybe they lurk more than post these days.
    andhe
  • plasmodiumplasmodium UKMember Posts: 1,936
    I would just say this: Brickset's 'reputation' is sort of as a friendly sort of place where people can discuss Lego. It's what most of us would probably say, and it's what a lot of new members who stick out their first couple of posts seem to say. Now, community moderation seems to work relatively well, with people who are rude/trollish generally getting ignored or being smoothed out.

However, there are occasionally cases (like the above trading thread), which are usually down to misunderstandings between posters that get kinda nasty, and I don't really know what mods would do there, except for deleting the angry posts after the fact (which is ok, but a little creepy), or stopping the argument and giving the participants a talking to (which would feel very hands-on).

I think there's the basic rule that when you're posting, to be considerate and to post in a way that makes it obvious you're not trying to be rude, but you can't always expect every way in which it may be misinterpreted...
  • TarDomoTarDomo FinlandMember Posts: 515
    Well maybe they're just on early Christmas holiday :-)
    Here is not a lot to do. I've seen just a few spams. But anyway I've seen Huw commenting some discussions. The forum hasn't turned into chaos so I wouldn't worry. I think they'll comment if it's needed. Think this as a positive thing. People have behaved well.
  • andheandhe UKMember Posts: 2,750

I know some would like a more softly moderated forum which is fair enough but over the last couple of months it seems that the mods have really stepped back. And its not just the more controversial splitting or merging discussions but fairly standard tidying up . I'm not seeing any spam so perhaps they're still busy clearing those up but just seemed odd how little we seem to see them now, including their posts.

I think they're all busy working for Blocks magazine :P
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,785

I would just say this: Brickset's 'reputation' is sort of as a friendly sort of place where people can discuss Lego. It's what most of us would probably say, and it's what a lot of new members who stick out their first couple of posts seem to say. Now, community moderation seems to work relatively well, with people who are rude/trollish generally getting ignored or being smoothed out.

However, there are occasionally cases (like the above trading thread), which are usually down to misunderstandings between posters that get kinda nasty, and I don't really know what mods would do there, except for deleting the angry posts after the fact (which is ok, but a little creepy), or stopping the argument and giving the participants a talking to (which would feel very hands-on).

I think there's the basic rule that when you're posting, to be considerate and to post in a way that makes it obvious you're not trying to be rude, but you can't always expect every way in which it may be misinterpreted...

If they want to give me a slap / ban for trying to help the guy out by informing him of the guideline then so be it. I'm quite used to my posts being attacked by phonebooth.
  • cheshirecatcheshirecat Member Posts: 5,332
    Don't think anyone needs bans, but those posts on the guys marketplace thread should be deleted.
  • LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,702
    edited December 2014

Should I have included a winky in my abuse towards my good friend @cheshirecat ? :o) For me, leaving the winky off adds to the joke between he and I. I'm pretty sure he understood it, but I can understand why others might not.
    margot
  • SuperTrampSuperTramp City 17Member Posts: 1,021
    Nobody's getting banned so don't worry about that.

There needs a mod to be present to do that.
    andhe
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,374
    I haven't really seen much nastiness of late. In fact, it seems that there is more hostility within the threads when there are more MODs present.

I don't mind people correcting me or pointing me in the right direction. Let's face it; I'm Pitfall and I need all the help I can get. I don't think posting a link to the rules or whatever is rude. The more you are a part of the forum, the more likely you will have a disagreement with someone. I have gotten into it with a few of you ;)
    Thanos75margotandhe
  • HuwHuw Brickset Towers, Hampshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,439
    We are still here but as others have said above generally there isn't a lot of moderation to be done.

Currently myself, @Matthew, @DrDaveWatford and @rocao are the moderators and we are going to recruit @CapnRex101 shortly.

We only step in when something is brought to our attention because there is now so much posted every day that it's nigh on impossible to read it all.

Is @Legoboy upsetting people? It would a pleasure to ban him :-)
    SirKevbagsmargot
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,374
    ^I find that @Legoboy‌ 's comments are generally snarky and don't add much to the discussion. I'm surprised he hasn't been banned.
    SirKevbagsmargotthenos
  • LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,702
    edited December 2014
    Huw said:

Careful. I'll send @flump in.
    SirKevbagsLego_Starsamiam391
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFWMember Posts: 5,823
    Huw said:

We are still here but as others have said above generally there isn't a lot of moderation to be done.

Currently myself, @Matthew, @DrDaveWatford and @rocao are the moderators and we are going to recruit @CapnRex101 shortly.

We only step in when something is brought to our attention because there is now so much posted every day that it's nigh on impossible to read it all.

does that mean @yellowcastle is out? I miss his posts
    We don't know what's happened to him, unfortunately. He was last active here in May and we haven't been able to contact him since.
  • oldtodd33oldtodd33 Denver 4800 miles to BillundMember Posts: 2,416
    That is too bad, @yellowcastle seemed like a good guy.
  • plasmodiumplasmodium UKMember Posts: 1,936
    CCC said:

If they want to give me a slap / ban for trying to help the guy out by informing him of the guideline then so be it. I'm quite used to my posts being attacked by phonebooth.

See, here's the thing. I personally understood what you were doing when you posted that, because I've been around here for a couple of yours and I kinda understand the way you "talk". But for a newbie, that could look like you were being rude or pushy...
  • drdavewatforddrdavewatford Hertfordshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,256
    edited December 2014
    Per @Huw's comment, we're still here.

This is a forum for adults, and members should therefore be more than capable of working most things out between themselves, ignoring minor slights and generally acting their age rather than their shoe-size. Admittedly that's not always the case, but we're inclined to try and treat people as grown-ups where possible rather than routinely intervene at the first sign of a disagreement.
    TheBrickLaddplasmodiumSirKevbagsCapnRex101Pitfall69LegoKipAndorJP3804
  • MatthewMatthew Cheshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 3,734
    edited December 2014
    ...and we also lead busy lives individually so it helps that the preferred strategy is hands off :-)
    Pitfall69AndorDougout
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,785

See, here's the thing. I personally understood what you were doing when you posted that, because I've been around here for a couple of yours and I kinda understand the way you "talk". But for a newbie, that could look like you were being rude or pushy...

New users coming and posting without reading the rules / guidelines is equally rude. It's not so bad if they are here as a member and contribute elsewhere on the forum, but there seems to have been an increase in the number that come, post links to their sales on ebay or new threads about their lego ideas projects, and disappear.

... generally acting their age rather than their shoe-size.

Funnily enough, my age is the same as my shoe size (in Euro sizes). :-)
    timinchicagoAndor
    edited December 2014
    Matthew said:

...and we also lead busy lives individually so it helps that the preferred strategy is hands off :-)

Isn't that kind of the point of the question. If the current mod's are "too busy" (which I always find a bit patronising, as it implys that the rest of us don't have anything else going on in our lives...) then perhaps the job should be delegated to others who are able to be a bit more active. I'm not talking about draconian modding, it's just the difference between a police state, and just seeing a policeman on the street. I personally find that reassuring as it shows a general level of care and interest.

I'm not bothered about people's heated debates, but a little bit of housekeeping here and there (tidying up threads/deleting spam etc) just helps to make the forum a slicker and friendlier environment, to regulars as well as newcomers.
    cheshirecatBumblepants
  • cheshirecatcheshirecat Member Posts: 5,332
    Exactly, and of those mentioned by Huw only @CapnRex101‌ seems to be a regular poster now, where as 12 months ago that wasn't the case.
  • BrickDancerBrickDancer Dunes of TatooineMember Posts: 3,639
    But I recall not too long ago the mods were being blasted for being too involved in squashing squabbles. Now they are too lax supposedly. Its tough to strike that right balance, but at least they were trying to heed the call of some members.
    andhe
  • legomattlegomatt Member Posts: 2,548
    Last i heard, they were cruising Brighton pier, looking for rockers. ;o)
    OldfanandhemessyTechnicNick
    Just to lighten the mood. You can alter the appropriate lyrics.

Actually, having listened through, it's more likely to bring you to tears. Ignore the inappropriateness of using an anti-war song as a light-hearted joke...
  • margotmargot Member Posts: 2,310
    andhe said:

Just to lighten the mood. You can alter the appropriate lyrics.

Every time I read the title of this thread "where have all the flowers gone?" pops into my head. Glad it wasn't only me.

andhePitfall69AanchirLegoKip
  • graphitegraphite USMember Posts: 3,241
    Squashing squabbles is one thing when it is personal attacks etc. There are other squabbles that feel like they are being overly moderated to appease too many (or certain) people instead of just cutting off the complainers as irrational.

Spam and squabbles are good moderation. My only comment on over moderation has been the sometimes (and sometimes too frequent) renaming of threads for very little gain. Ones a thread gains traction it is nice to be able to find it by what it was named and not have to figure out what it now is.
    OK, maybe we should have a call for volunteers then if it's felt we need more help. I'm not convinced we do, but if anyone's itching to become a mod. get in touch.
  • Thanos75Thanos75 Member Posts: 1,117
    For the most part the level of moderation is great. It can be hard to separate your personal feelings while trying to maintain the peace. I do feel that sometimes things do get to personal and would be much better dealt with through pm's then publicly.
  • DougoutDougout Member Posts: 888
    Sheriff don't fancy coming to these parts of town no more
  • graphitegraphite USMember Posts: 3,241
    edited December 2014
    ^ exactly what I was thinking. Just reminds me of IRC, WoW and Clash of clans (and everything else with a leadership structure). People join channel/guild/clan and immediately ask to be promoted to +0/member/elder.
  • RedbullgivesuwindRedbullgivesuwind Brickset's Secret HeadquatersMember Posts: 1,764
    As @andhe says anyone who wants to be one, may not be the one you want. I think a better way is for @huw to have a look through the forum and look at people's posting record, how engaged they are the forums, past behaviour and then approach them directly. I can think of a few who would be good mods from my experiences with them. But they may not want to do it.

P.S @andhe forgot how much I dislike Peter, Paul and Mary!
  • klatu003klatu003 Hobbiton, Shire, Middle EarthMember Posts: 719
    Better version by Pete Seeger. Universal lament for the waste of war...

• rocaorocao Administrator Posts: 4,288
    Ok, I'm here... everyone is going to behave now, right?
    LegoKipcheshirecatLegoboybrickedinAndor
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFWMember Posts: 5,823
    "I aim to misbehave."