Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

Buy with Caution on eBay this Holiday Season- Fraudulent/Suspicious Activity

samiam391samiam391 A Log Cabin in KY, United StatesMember Posts: 4,235
edited December 2014 in Buying & Selling Topics
Folks,

I just wanted to make everyone aware of a spike in LEGO fraud on eBay. Recently I've seen a very steep increase in the number of hacked accounts on eBay selling NIB Lego sets, retired and current, for slightly under their going prices. Priced at a good enough price you'll buy it, but not low enough you automatically think it's a scam. Since they are hacked accounts, they also have a reasonable number of feedback (and aren't your typical 0 feedback sellers).

Here are a few things I've noticed:
They will have more than just LEGO listed... I've seen model airplanes, headphones, and video games- consoles (as the most prevalent items).

They have 80-90 feedback, with little to no feedback in the past 12 months.

Items are listed at BIN or BO, with a price about 30-40% less than the current going rate.

There are no pictures of the "actual" item, only stock photos.

I just wanted to make everyone aware, as even I have been tempted to press the buy it now button (only to see account suspended by eBay the next day). If you see any of this suspicious activity on eBay, please report. It makes the site better for not only you, but everyone else as well.

Have a nice shopping season everyone... Lets all hope for presents that rattle :o)

Samuel

Edit: Speak of the devil:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/jackie02147mve/m.html?item=151517427616&hash=item23472477a0&pt=US_Headphones&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562
Poochyadukoldtodd33chuckpPitfall69snowhitiewoony2slovakiastephBuriedinBricksLegoKipmadforLEGOaimlesspursuits

Comments

• adukaduk Member Posts: 153
    Well said - i've noticed one in the UK who looks suspicious. Seller from inverness wanting direct payment to bank account and selling UCS Death Star II, Imperial Shuttle and a few other rare sets. It looks fishy to me....
  • legoboy1066legoboy1066 Member Posts: 130
    aduk said:

Well said - i've noticed one in the UK who looks suspicious. Seller from inverness wanting direct payment to bank account and selling UCS Death Star II, Imperial Shuttle and a few other rare sets. It looks fishy to me....

I noticed the same.
  • wayneggwaynegg Texas,USAMember Posts: 394
    Thanks for the warning, but how do you know they're hacked accounts?
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,204
    You can often tell by looking at what they have sold in the past, how much recent activity and if they are offering lots of current or expensive sets at a discount.
  • nkx1nkx1 Member Posts: 719
    edited December 2014
    waynegg said:

I'm also curious to know. In the absence of any extensive/definitive evidence (more than just anecdotal), it can probably considered conjecture.

• binaryeyebinaryeye USMember Posts: 1,733
    nkx1 said:

Also, wth does "Lets all hope for presents that rattle" mean?

LEGO sets have a relatively definitive sound if you shake the box.

But I suppose @samiam391‌ could have been referring to snakes.
  • samiam391samiam391 A Log Cabin in KY, United StatesMember Posts: 4,235
    waynegg said:

@ waynegg- I've been contacted by eBay that one was a hacked account. Since they've followed a similar pattern, I assume the others are hacked as well :o)
    binaryeye said:

nkx1 said:

Also, wth does "Lets all hope for presents that rattle" mean?

LEGO sets have a relatively definitive sound if you shake the box.

But I suppose @samiam391‌ could have been referring to snakes.
    Yes, presents full of copperheads.
    waynegg
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,204