Tracks for Santa Fe Super Chief train

OverOver Member Posts: 3
I have the Lego Santa Fe Super Chief and one passenger car. I need to know what tracks I need and where I can find them. Also...is there anything else I need to set up the train around my Christmas tree so that it works?

Comments

• oldtodd33oldtodd33 Denver 4800 miles to BillundMember Posts: 2,416
    In my opinion, the best route for you since you don't have anything yet is to go with the old 9 volt system as it is the easiest way but not the cheapest way. You would need the transformer, 16 curves, 8 straights if you want to and a 9 volt motor if you don't have it. You should be able to get all of that from Ebay as it was discontinued several years ago for about $150 U.S. if you are in the U.S.. I'm sure others will tell you to go with the newer Power Fuctions System and you can if you like but the Santa Fe was designed around the old 9 volt system and is better geared toward that.
  • TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950
    edited December 2014
    The first question to ask yourself is what are your motivations. E.g. do you want to stick with just that engine and car, or did you want to add more trains and more cars and possibly run them around more than just the xmas tree?

Either way, based on your questions, you are as green as can be when coming into trains (btw, it's just an observation, not a judgement; we all started somewhere right?). That said, you should consider very carefully and do research to determine the direction you with to go (9v or PF), because both ways can get expensive quickly.
  • OverOver Member Posts: 3
    Thank you for the information. Yes, this is my first Lego train so I am "green" at this. I would like to just use the train around my Christmas tree. I do have a 16 volt transformer. I will need the 9 v motor and the tracks.
  • oldtodd33oldtodd33 Denver 4800 miles to BillundMember Posts: 2,416
    edited December 2014
    You will need more than a 16v transformer. The parts you will need to run the train are: http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=2868b
    http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=70931
    http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=5306c01.

The last part connects to the train track itself one on each side of the track. Aslo, I don't know how big your tree is, but with mine which is of average size, I use 16 curves and 8 straights tracks.
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,374
    Well, if you are going the 9V route, be prepared to take out a second mortgage on the house :)

I don't know about any of you guys, but I have had some bad luck finding decent used tracks and 9V motors that work properly. I have a sneaky suspicion that the sellers knew there were issues with the tracks and motors. That's why I buy all my 9V peripherals NISB and that can get expensive.

If you are using the train just for Christmas you should be fine, but if you are going to run your train all year long; I would buy everything NISB.
    Without seeing who commented on the thread, I knew I would see the usual bunch ;) I am disappointed in myself that I didn't see this thread earlier, but it is posted in an odd area of the forum.

The Santa Fe Super Chief is my favorite Lego train, but the engine and the cars are a bit short and lacking in detail. Plus, a B-Unit was never made. I don't know what your intentions are, but the Super Chief with just one passenger car doesn't give it justice.

What I wouldn't give for this set up:

First, the original Santa Fe Super Chief and all available cars from Lego. Then, what an Expert Santa Fe Super Chief would look like.
    Forgot to add the one pic.
  • OverOver Member Posts: 3
    Thank you for all the information, especially "oldtodd33" for the direct links. I have all the parts ordered. Hopefully my train will be running by Christmas!
    oldtodd33