Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Fake SuperHeros that look like Lego

NorlegoNorlego ScotlandMember Posts: 444
I bought these SuperHeros figures at a carboot. At first I thought they were the real thing as they looked like Lego and were well made. It does not say Lego on the bricks, so maybe not fakes just copies. Normally I can tell non-Lego, but these fooled me.

Comments

• margotmargot Member Posts: 2,310
    edited December 2014
    Is there a real Winter Soldier minifig?
  • Legopassion8Legopassion8 North CarolinaMember Posts: 1,180
    Is that suppose to be Odin? He's missing an eye...
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,824
    There is a whole thread on these fakes. They are relatively easy to spot in hand, from the print quality. And also the lack of the logo.
  • EddieDoesntMindEddieDoesntMind Member Posts: 329
    The way I can tell is that some of those have never been created, i.e. Odin, and the oddly placed weapons (Superman with a gun)
    margot said:

Is there a real Winter Soldier minifig?

No.

Is that suppose to be Odin? He's missing an eye...

He has a golden eyepatch.

• NorlegoNorlego ScotlandMember Posts: 444
    CCC said:

They are relatively easy to spot in hand, from the print quality. And also the lack of the logo.

But these were of high quality. The hair looked like Lego, faces were good. The lady next Hulk looked like a Lego figure. (The one I looked closely at, before I bought the whole lot.)
    So it is not a question of looking at them. If you see figures that look like Lego, you dont study them indept. It was later in the day I noticed minor differences. To a child these are Lego figures.
    You should always look closely at lego minifigs bought at a boot sale. Especially when they are selling comic con minifigs. I'd have taken a good look at The Hulk at a boot sale. The comic con ones I wouldn't have bothered looking at, as they are obviously going to be fake at a boot sale.
    What plates are they on? Are they Lego or the printed super heroes ones?
    I was hoping nobody saw those. They are all fake, but some have "World minifigures Collect them all" printed on them. That should have been a give away, but I looked at the faces, hair and so on. They did look geniune, but small details like feet are different.
    I will have to be carefull next time.
  • Legopassion8Legopassion8 North CarolinaMember Posts: 1,180
    Hahaha. He has a golden eyepatch because he's missing an eye...
  • akunthitaakunthita USAMember Posts: 1,028
    The legs and feet are almost always shaped differntly, so those are a dead giveaway as well and easy to spot.
    madforLEGO
  • oldtodd33oldtodd33 Denver 4800 miles to BillundMember Posts: 2,416
    Or maybe the Batman that has 2 right legs.
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,375
    How much did you pay for these or are you embarrassed to say? Did the person who sold them to you tell you they were Lego or dod they play stupid?
    Norlego said:

I was hoping nobody saw those. They are all fake, but some have "World minifigures Collect them all" printed on them. That should have been a give away, but I looked at the faces, hair and so on. They did look geniune, but small details like feet are different.
    I will have to be carefull next time.

The plates are the biggest giveaway - if there are non-lego plates with them it should at least prompt you to look closer. Oh well, live and learn - assuming you have not paid comic con prices for the fake rare ones.
    I paid £35 for the lot. Yes I understand people are laughing and thinking why not just buy them on Ebay cheaper.... But I did not see the printed logo, as I only looked at the ones without the Logo....
    But I now the guy I bought them off and he is a bit odd. I asked if they were Lego as they do look like Lego, and he implied they where, but did not say so. I sure I will get my money back when I see him on Saturday. Just have to be careful if I buy off him again. (He buys off me too, so I have to be tactfull... I dont want to offend a good customer...)
    @akunthita 3 of the feet are shaped like Lego, the rest have a small curve.
    ^I don't think anyone is laughing. We all make mistakes while either buying or selling. Selling something far below its value because you don't know what you have could be considered just as bad as buying something you thought was a good deal.
  • truck730truck730 Member Posts: 214
    its a pity that the need to make money fuels the production of not true makes but they could have come from same factory minus LOGO,so if your'e not bothered then its good to go
    I doubt they are from the same factory. There are other differences too. These will probably have sharper shoulders, some have the different feet. Some have different pins in the legs, etc.

They are just cheap knock-offs that unfortunately have been plaguing ebay for some time now, and it was only a matter of time before they turned up as second hand items at other sales. No doubt some sellers know what they are selling, but I'm sure some sellers will believe that they have lego when they haven't.
    I have compared at the figures with Lego ones, and I must say there is little difference. The colours are the same, the hair looks right, some of the legs look the same. Not identical, but I would be surprised if the factory Lego uses did not also make fake ones. It is not like Lego own the factory. Getting the molds to make figures cant be that difficult.
    The quality of the plastic is sometimes a giveaway. The CMF's are of lower quality, but Superman should be good quality.
  • crazycarlcrazycarl USAMember Posts: 392
    edited December 2014
    truck730 said:

its a pity that the need to make money fuels the production of not true makes but they could have come from same factory minus LOGO,so if your'e not bothered then its good to go

I guarantee these are coming right out of TLG Chinese factories without them knowing or not caring. Any company opens the door to this when they move production to China. So theoretically are they really fakes? They are non Lego licensed figs but they are made from the same moulds, same plastic, and same screen prints. Things that make you think.
    If they are made using the same molds, then why no Lego mark on them? Are the fakers removing it by hand? I somehow doubt it.

If you know what you are looking for, there are differences.
    You need to bring a loupe to the carboot sales, so you know what to look for. Newer Lego Minifigures have Lego on the inside of both feet. The older Lego Minifigures don't have any. The Newer CMF'S have only one foot with Lego on the inside, but I cannot confirm if everyone does. I have Emmet in front of me and he only has Lego on the inside of one foot. Can someone confirm if any of the others do?
    Norlego
    I doubt there is a problem to remove a logo from a mold. Would not surprise me if a couple of molds have gone missing. Maybe they "break" more often in China than in Denmark, who knows. But it is fantasy to believe that fake Lego is made in a dimly lit factory in a remote part of China under cover of darkness.
    crazycarl
  • cheshirecatcheshirecat Member Posts: 5,332
    edited December 2014
    ^ no it's not. When my wife was involved in starting up a Chinese cosmetic factory she was told that before their production lines left customs the Chinese would have copied everything. They would then put them in an empty factory and effectively have cloned the official factory. They would be able to see all the materials going in and as the titular factory manager would have to be Chinese could get other information to. Its possible that the nature of the moulds means they're the one thing LEGO can maintain some control over which would explain the slight differences.