Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

Suggestions to fill a modular magic shop?

SolariousSolarious Kalamazoo, MI, USAMember Posts: 317
For my 1st bigger project of the new year I would like to build my first from scratch modular building.

I'm going to start small with an occult magic shop built on a16x32 baseplate and I think I have a pretty good design with a shop on the first floor, costume/outfit/misc storage on the 2nd, and a small living quarters on the 3rd.

What I have come here for are possible ideas on objects of curiosity to fill the many shelves of the shop.

Also, I mostly pick up space or superhero themed sets so some advice on where to find such things would be great.
I have a couple LotR sets, a couple skulls and chalices, and treasure chests, and such but nothing near what I would need.

I did make a little monkey paw.
I'd post a pic but it's pretty much just a yellow hand sticking out of one of those brown 1x2 plates with the single stud on top
Ha!

Comments

• Legopassion8Legopassion8 North CarolinaMember Posts: 1,180
    Spiders. Lots of Spiders!
    You can use Google to find the things you need...

:P
  • matticus_bricksmatticus_bricks Member Posts: 648
    A witches hat should be necessary. I would advise checking out some of the older Belville sets that focused on witches, as they had some really unique magic-ey parts. You may be able to find some on Bricklink.
  • LegoKipLegoKip A cottage by the sea, California, US Member Posts: 259
    edited December 2014
    Hagrid's Hut had some interesting pieces: a cauldron (called "Fabuland Pot"), owls, baby dragon, key, jack o' lantern, rat, broom, flame piece -- actually just skim through the Harry Potter sets for inventory and inspiration. The older ones especially had lots of knickknacks that could fill your shop.
  • SirBenSirBen In the Hall of the Mountain KingMember Posts: 548
    You could also see about picking up a copy of #3836 Magikus.
  • PlellPlell Member Posts: 192
    Definitely get the Tarot card pieces from the fortune teller minifig if you can.
  • legomasonlegomason Member Posts: 190
  • dejavudejavu USAMember Posts: 235
    Mannequins such as in the store window of the GE, wearing tuxedo, cape and top hat. As many bottles and jars as possible. Clear globes. Some of the mirror-like pieces from the Winter Village market. The bookcase piece from Snape's classroom. Books. The small square timepiece such as in the Lone Ranger set. Be sure to post photos when it's done!
  • dejavudejavu USAMember Posts: 235
    Of course, the Diagon Alley set would have lots of useful pieces as well.
  • Jern92Jern92 MalaysiaMember Posts: 782
    Harry Potter and Monster Fighter sets would be useful. As well as CMF wizards
  • PaperballparkPaperballpark UKMember Posts: 3,382
    A woman sawn in half, a levitating table...
    dejavu
    legomason said:
    One of the coolest pieces ever! Brings back so many childhood memories for me.

You're doing more of an occult, black magic, Pagan/Wiccan type of shop, rather than a Houdini type of magic, right? Really cool idea!
  • LegoKipLegoKip A cottage by the sea, California, US Member Posts: 259
    @legomason‌
    Fawkes?
    Creepy?
    Hardly!
    In that same set (4730), this wasway creepier.
    Although my ultimate definition of creepy and disgusting is here.
  • SolariousSolarious Kalamazoo, MI, USAMember Posts: 317
    Thanks for all the suggestions
    I didn't even think about Harry Potter
    I'm pretty sure my sister left a huge box of HP sets at my parent's house
    I'll have to go raiding next I'm over there

I just started on this project tonight actually
    I'll post a few pics when I get far enough to make it worth it
    I'd like the feedback anyway because Ive never done a modular before and I'm sure my first iteration will need some work
    To say the least
    LegoKip said:

@legomason‌
    Fawkes?
    Creepy?
    Hardly!
    In that same set (4730), this wasway creepier.
    Although my ultimate definition of creepy and disgusting is here.

Lockhart is not creepy! Well maybe just a little... Just imagine how much CREEPIER Umbridge would have been if they gave her that maniacal smile she has plastered on her face in the movie. Should have been a double sided head, honestly.
  • JdslaterJdslater Member Posts: 59
    How about watching a few of the actual Potter films? Whatever the one that was on last night on TV featured alot of things that might not have been made.
    I saw a spiral stack of magic books that looked pretty cool.
  • LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,695
    The light up crystal ball from #10237 Tower of Orthanc?
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,388
    CMF magician? With wand.
    Legopassion8
    Seconded ^
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,388
    Maybe also the saw from the new S13 carpenter, so someone can do the saw the lady in half trick.
    LegoKipchuckp
  • BOBJACK_JACKBOBBOBJACK_JACKBOB ScotlandMember Posts: 453
    edited December 2014
    #3849 has some nice bottles/jars.

Bob

Hmmm... link isn't working for me. Does anyone know what I did wrong?

Anyway, set is here - http://brickset.com/sets/3849-1/Orient-Bazaar
  • SolariousSolarious Kalamazoo, MI, USAMember Posts: 317
    I'm about half or so done with the first floor of this project

Decided to go a slightly different route
    Gonna skip the residence and make this strictly a multi-storied shop called the Bizarre Bazaar with each floor being run by its own shopkeeper

1st floor- Misc Curiosities
    2nd floor- Costumes and accessories (hats and such)
    3rd floor- Crystals (I seem to have a lot for some reason)
    4th floor- High end rare/and or powerful artifacts
    Roof- Runes to cast a spell so that normal people don't recognize the Bazaar is anything special

The idea is to keep adding floors as I come up with new ideas or get more accessories to fill space with

I'm not going to lie, I like the idea of how weird this little 16x24-ish sized building will look stacked up 6-8 stories tall

Then again, this small building footprint doesn't allow for me to add in the one thing I think every magical building should require above all else- at least 1 secret passage/stair.
    I may just have to bite the bullet and put this on a larger baseplate
  • chuckpchuckp NYMember Posts: 684
    "Bizarre Bazaar", that's great!