The forum is now at http://forum.brickset.com. Please update your bookmarks.
Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.
You must be 16 or over to participate in the Brickset Forum. Please read the announcements and rules before you join.

X-Men Basketball Court

SolariousSolarious Kalamazoo, MI, USAMember Posts: 317
Hello everyone

This is my first post!!!

Anyway, on with it....

I have loved the X-Men since I was a kid and was pretty excited to pick up the new Blackbird jet.
Now I want to build a hanger bay to store it in.
(Hopefully this will eventually be attached to the Ideas X-mansion but let's be honest, does anyone actually think that one will pass?)

I would also like to include a roof with the iconic fold-away basketball court and have come across a few issues I was hoping to get some help with...

1.) The actual mechanism of the opening hatch is throwing me.
The jet itself is about 32x32 studs so even on a 48x48 baseplate this doesn't include a lot of space
Would simple hinges be too simplified?

2.) how on earth do I make a relatively realistic looking basketball court?
I've looked around a bit and all I have seen are large cardboard areas ("cheating" to me) or rather silly looking brick built angular shapes for the various line markings

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Also, any advice on what to include in the build be great.
I already have it planned to have one of the walls open for viewing and will include inside a small toolshop area, engine repair area, fuel depot, and a crane to remove engines for maintenance
Chrisbstm

Comments

• chuckpchuckp NYMember Posts: 666
    First off, welcome Solarious. Doing a hanger to store the X-Jet is really cool idea. Here are some thoughts on the 2 points you mentioned.

1. For opening the hatch/court, you could try using a row of plates that stick out from the sides of the walls to support the court. If the court was built using large plates and the protruding wall plates had flat tiles covering them, the court plates could rest on the wall plates and slide off as needed, assuming the ends were open. I hope this makes sense, trying to put what I'm envisioning into words is rough.

2. For the court itself, if the 1x1 tiles are too blocky, maybe tape or hobby sticker cut-out paper to make your own markings would work. If the court were smooth and covered in tiles, any type of sticker or tape should stick.

Again, this is a really neat idea. I hope you post the results in the MOC section.
    Chrisbstmcarlq
  • SolariousSolarious Kalamazoo, MI, USAMember Posts: 317
    Thanks for the response.

1) actually this makes a lot of sense
    I was more or less stuck on the idea of a swinging door system that stayed within the footprint of the baseplate but in reality there really isn't any reason it has to
    I want to fit a mansion in at some point (Ideas model or not) but I can position it so that the doors slide parallel to the building

2) thin line stickers over flat baseplates will probably be the cleanest looking way to go
    Now I just have to figure out how to make a decent hoop
  • SombuxSombux Member Posts: 7
    There's been some basketball sets back in 2003 (like 3433-1) where you can get the hoops and maybe also some plates with linings if you don't mind them being quite simplified, but at least not blocky.
  • BumblepantsBumblepants Sofia BG/Dallas TXMember Posts: 5,115
    I think the Friend's High School set and maybe the pool set also have basketball hoops