Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Would LEGO dare an "Assassin's Creed" theme?

icey117icey117 DenmarkMember Posts: 506
edited December 2014 in Everything else LEGO
I'm a sucker for AC. Really! All since I played Prince of Persia at my Amiga 500 I have loved "Assassin's Creed". It's my "other" nerd hobby. As many others - I love my other interests to be expressed in LEGO (such as Lord of the Rings). So just to fill up another meaningless thread, I wondered if ASSASSIN'S CREED would be a too big a dare for LEGO?

The obvious PRO's:
- it's sold 78 million copies
- a hollywood movie is coming
- LEGO get's an opportunity to release another ship

Other great PRO's:
- Multiple pseudo historical time sets opportunities
- Lots of historical characters

So far so good....
The CON's
- "assassin's" could give some kids association with murder... but they have done that before! (ref 1 and ref 2)
- too much blood... well, we've discussed that before... you can turn the blood option off in the game! (Not that I've tried it)
- You're not allowed to throw with LEGO bricks, specially not if they are directed at people's eyes... but hey, LEGO is making shooting mechanisms all the time. Think about it: How about a shooting mechanism integrated in a MINIFIG? That'd sell massively... I'm convinced!
- It looks too much like Prince of Persia... a theme which flopped I heard! Then again: I'll argue that the movie flopped... not the theme! Kind of like Lone Ranger.

So what'd you think?

(NB! It's not my image... just googled it!)

Comments

• cheshirecatcheshirecat Member Posts: 5,332
    Those games rated 15, 16+ and 18? Never gonna happen.
    madforLEGO
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFWMember Posts: 5,834
    Megablorks makes AC stuff.
    andhe
  • ShibShib UKMember Posts: 5,218
    I'm at the point with Lego where I think anything could happen, but a theme with Assassin in the title, where the source material is about killing more than anything else, I think it's fairly unlikely. Add the points raised above and I think we're more likely to see a Bar in the modular line or a Winter Village Pub (without being disguised in the way the DO disguises as bar) than we are to get an Assassin's Creed theme, so its massively unlikely.
    Andor
  • XefanXefan Member Posts: 1,149
    Would the minifigs randomly start stuttering for no apparent reason, and start getting stuck or falling through the floor, and start turning up randomly in completely out of place places like in AC: Unity?
    icey117yys4uLego_Lord_MayorcaSombuxdmcc0Baby_Yoda
  • SuperTrampSuperTramp City 17Member Posts: 1,021
    Its still a beautiful looking game and the game-play is excellent. and to be fair im 70% through and not seen anything like you mentioned.
  • cheshirecatcheshirecat Member Posts: 5,332
    Seems popular - 58 people want the pirate set. And 20 have it!
    icey117andhe
  • icey117icey117 DenmarkMember Posts: 506
    edited December 2014
    andhe said:
    There really is a reason why LEGO is the only popular brick building toy. It seems like they are the only one to execute a theme well. Even when we think they miss the target... it's never misses THAT bad!
    I don't know if it's just my dislike of Megabloks but those all seem completely lacking in any charm. Even themes that I don't like the source of in Lego have a certain charm that generally means I wouldn't mind owning them.
    icey117
  • Lego_Lord_MayorcaLego_Lord_Mayorca H-Town, USAMember Posts: 523
    Xefan said:

Would the minifigs randomly start stuttering for no apparent reason, and start getting stuck or falling through the floor, and start turning up randomly in completely out of place places like in AC: Unity?

Ooo. That hurt! But a good one, nonetheless. I laughed. I've seen a few strange floor and wall-melting glitches during my time playing AC: Unity, but thankfully, no stuttering.

I've actually seen the Megabloks stuff in stores. Definitely no appeal, in spite of the affiliation with what has become my favorite gaming franchise of the decade. I've resigned myself to accepting what others have already said: the overt, violent nature of the game, not to mention sprinklings of obscenity, sexual themes, and occasional alcoholism, does not bode well to appeal to Lego and its market.

That all said, I read a recent interview with one of the Ubisoft guys about the new Megabloks line, and the question was brought up about how does a violent, mature-level game find itself partnering with a children's toy manufacturer? The answer was actually quite devious. I don't have a link, but the guy stated their plan was not necessarily get kids into the games, but into the "brand" of Assassin's Creed. The Megabloks toys are one entry way into that "world" that they hope will lead to many buying the games, seeing the movie, collecting the action figures, etc. There will be something in the Assassin's Creed brand for all ages.

Shades of Abstergo? Nothing is true...
  • matticus_bricksmatticus_bricks Member Posts: 648
    Well, there is supposedly a movie in the works, and if the Megabloks license expires... Maybe? I don't think it will happen, but then again, I doubted Lego would make a Pirates of the Caribbean line after Mega Bloks already had one, so anything is possible.

I think it would be a good idea for Lego to make more sets based on video games, though, as their target fan base probably plays lots of video games. Minecraft is a good place to start, but they could do so much more.
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,355
    edited December 2014
    I think you would see James Bond as a license for LEGO before Assassins Creed
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,806
    Discussions like this make me wonder if lego should have a spin-out company (distinct from lego and the brand logo) that creates adult oriented sets (or just character packs). I wonder if there is a market for such a thing? Maybe one of the family doing it, like the new Modulex bricks.
    TheBigLegoskiicey117
  • TheBigLegoskiTheBigLegoski Amsterdam, NederlandMember Posts: 1,346
    ^
    Interesting idea.
    Though that would seem to be more of a marketing ploy then anything else. I have invested too heavily into Lego to go and buy anything else if that means getting a system with different scale elements such as the Modulex bricks. At least that is what I understood having read something about Modulex here some time ago. I don't know if Lego and Modulex are because of this difference still compatible?!

I suppose I am too much of a purist. I don't care for Megablocks, even though I love the Halo games, and some of the Megablocks sets have very nice renditions of the vehicles from the Halo franchise, the figures don't look that appealing to me, plus as others have also mentioned they completely lack any and all of the comical charm of the Lego Minifigure which I am a fan of, and think is so endearing.

I would not mind having a bunch of Assassins Creed CMF's, although fitting one of your PotC minifigs with a Dastan 'backpack sword holder' and a hoody, and an assortment of knives and voila! you have got yourself an Ezio Auditore da Firenze.
    (I only played AC II, which btw is a fantastic game and so (too) addictive).

Then again I would love to see a Game of Thrones CMF series too, or better an entire GoT theme.

Then again not having an AC or GoT theme does not prevent you from MOC'cing your own AC or GoT world if you really want to. All you need for that is lots of bricks and in addition some castle and pirate theme Lego elements to dress up your historical AC world.
  • Legopassion8Legopassion8 North CarolinaMember Posts: 1,180
    No!
    Andor

No!

That's what we all though of PotC and LotR's. Too much alcohol, blood, adult themes etc. And guess what happened... Big flops! I mean... we got themes.

This is the new though: If LEGO should build a theme around a VIDEO GAME - which should it then be? They are going for Minecraft now, and it sells! So I'm pretty sure their tactical board is considering other videogames right now. AC is better suited than "Call of Duty" or "FIFA 15".
    edited December 2014
    I'd argue FIFA is more likely seeinga as the game is using a licence itself, in the same way that PoP sets were based on a movie of a game franchise.*
    K'nex have quietly been aquiring a lot of computer game licenses, particularly those with Mascot characters.
    Personally I'd say the Minecraft license as justification for an Assassins Creed theme is quite a leap. I'd say TLG would are far more likely to consider other "peaceful" games than those with higher age ratings etc. If it was big enough I'd say Animal Crossing. But I can't think of a game with the fanbase that Minecraft has that is low conflict.

*EDIT: So a FIFA theme would be a football association theme rather than that years FIFA game
    edited December 2014
    I'd personally love to see sets from the Super Mario universe if the TLG were going to consider another video game IP. Call Of Duty, Fifa would be my nightmare.
    ^Mario is one of those held by K'nex, the builds are awful and the characters are fine, but lack any sort of minifigure charm. I personally wandered if theres some half worked out deal there that might have been preventing the Zelda Cuusoo/Ideas projects.
    edited December 2014
    Shib said:

Personally I'd say the Minecraft license as justification for an Assassins Creed theme is quite a leap.

I didn't!

Themes can be based on
    1) TLC own creations (since 1978. First theme out was "Castle", I think)
    2) Movie/TV franchises (Since 1999. First theme was "StarWars")
    3) Computer games (Since 2012. First (and only) is "Minecraft")

I argued that basing a theme on a Compute game (3) is a new way for LEGO. I think the CUUSOO Minicraft set sold so well, their microworld too, and now in 2014 they got a rather build out theme line. Their tactical group woke up to this market of game-themes. My point is that they sure are considering if other games could turn profitable.

Sure they'd love to go for the kids-friendly versions. But TLC have had to make compromises to most of their principals to follow a theme they produced including sets based on movies that are restricted age 15 and sets that include alcohol, violence, ww2, etc.
    edited December 2014
    ^Just to be clear I wasn't trying to have a go at you, my comment was more pointing out that there are degrees of what order games licences might be considered and that a game with assassin in the title is the other end of the spectrum to Minecraft - in the same way I'm aware that some people play mine craft more to destroy stuff and kill each other than build, but the perception of what the game is about is much more fitting to TLGs normal requirements.

The response seemed like you took the comment personally which wasn't my intention at all.
    icey117
  • plasmodiumplasmodium UKMember Posts: 1,936
    Ah, but what about a theme of a movie of a game? Like PoP. And I'm pretty sure I've heard about an Assassins' Creed movie, recently.

Also, if anyone brings up those Lego guidelines/family values, I point them towards Indiana Jones. Religious artefacts, Nazis and gore, oh my!
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,806
    I'm not so sure computer games are really that different to film or TV properties. It's all just entertainment media.
    CCC said:

I'm not so sure computer games are really that different to film or TV properties. It's all just entertainment media.

In theory, yeah. I always say that. In fact I regularly tell people that a good video game is better, not only in terms of story/immersion, but you're probably using your brain more.

But unfortunately, that's not how most people see it. Also, video game players are probably mostly teens-20s and sizable even older group (especially with Assassin's Creed and the like). They're also (for the most part) not the people who are buying Lego.

While you may say that Lego would be opening up a new market for themselves, in reality, it'd be a lot of work to stop buying Lego from being 'uncool' for your average teen. Likewise, little kids would just see sets in shops/catalogues and then want to have them and play/watch the content material. Parents might not know enough about it (let's face it, probably not the case with Assassins' Creed. The clue to the kid friendliness is in the name), and let their kids play a game rated 18+ for good reasons.
    ^I have been shocked at some of the poor age regulation on games in the passed, but then even worse seen parents buying GTA5 for kids who looked to be about 8 when it's got an 18 label right on the box, I can't imagine them doing the same with DVDs, but then maybe I'm just being naive.
    plasmodiumandheicey117Andor
    ^lol, Yeah i cant imagine the same parent buying there kid of 8 a copy of A Clockwork Orange on DVD.
    edited December 2014
    Shib said:

^I have been shocked at some of the poor age regulation on games in the passed, but then even worse seen parents buying GTA5 for kids who looked to be about 8 when it's got an 18 label right on the box, I can't imagine them doing the same with DVDs, but then maybe I'm just being naive.

I think the general attitude is "it's a video game? How bad can it be?". They think the worst it can be is to have a little violence ("but no more than little Timmy sees every day on TV yada yada yada") and maybe the odd swear word.

And then on the other side of the fence are the parents who won't let their kids play any video games because as we all know, ALL video games turn Little Timmy into a high-school shooter.

Basically it's an attitude/education thing. Which is derailing the thread a bit. Suffice to say, if Assassins' Creed is made into a PG-13/12 rated movie, there's a chance of Lego sets (like PoP). Otherwise, I think no. You can always MOC, though. :)
    Andoricey117
    It's not much Parkour-sets that LEGO made. Sad the minifig is pretty good at parkour... At least if one need to make still shots.
    The only ones I found was this PoP Polybag. Well maybe also the Quest of Time, though this set reminds more of the original 2D Prince of Persia from the nineties.
    No, no, no, no! Why tempt me like this with fake chinese cheap tempting plastic tempting Enzo minifigs?