Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Minidoll or Mini-doll collecting.

VenunderVenunder Nottingham, UK.Member Posts: 2,565
edited November 2014 in Collecting
With more Minidolls being produced for Friends, Disney Princess and the forthcoming Elves series, there will begin to be more collectors of Minidolls, and then there is the possibility that a collectible series might be produced by TLG.
Are you already a collector?
What do you think about these possibilities and should Brickset begin to catalog the Mini-dolls as they do for the Minifigs?

Comments

• Kevin_HyattKevin_Hyatt UKMember Posts: 778
    But but but minidolls are rubbish
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 19,645
    I don't really get the question. They already are catalogued as for minifigs.
  • prof1515prof1515 EarthMember Posts: 1,561
    Minidoll, mini-doll, minifigure, mini-figure and minifig are all the same thing.
  • ACWWGal2011ACWWGal2011 Member Posts: 534
    Venunder said:

With more Minidolls being produced for Friends, Disney Princess and the forthcoming Elves series, there will begin to be more collectors of Minidolls, and then there is the possibility that a collectible series might be produced by TLG.
    Are you already a collector?
    What do you think about these possibilities and should Brickset begin to catalog the Mini-dolls as they do for the Minifigs?

"collector" in the sense of the dolls happen to come with the friends set so I technically do have a collection of dolls going? yes I am a collector.

"Collector" in the sense of I go out of my way to find the dolls I want/need? Not really. I prefer minifigures over minidolls since minifigures are more compatible with the lego line and it's easier for me to find the parts i'm after.
  • DawnDawn GoldMember Posts: 247
    I would like to start a collection of monochrome mini-dolls, that should be interesting. :)

On a bit more than 100 mini-dolls, almost 2/3 of them a different variation of the same 5 characters with 16 of them being Stephanie. I think it may have an appeal for some collectors. While I would not have a collection myself, I would appreciate pictures of someone's display.

Like a lot of things in LEGO, collect what you like, it does not really matter what others people do.
  • akunthitaakunthita USAMember Posts: 1,038
    I really like the mini-dolls and yes, I do collect them. Not every single one of them, but every time I shop on BrickLink I check if the seller has some cute mini-dolls I don't have yet. And I can't wait for the Elves series! As far as minifigure accessories, pastel colors, and cute little figures, LEGO Friends is one of the best things that ever happened to LEGO!

If I would be a new LEGO fan right now, I would very possibly fully focus on LEGO Friends. And I have been considering repopulating my Modular City with Friends. Yeah, I know some of you will faint to hear this, but LEGO Friends in fact has a growing fanbase. I wrote an article recently highlighting some of the fantastic crations of AFOLs who build in LEGO Friends style: http://thebrickblogger.com/2014/08/lego-friends-resort-town-houses-more/
    Andor
  • AanchirAanchir United StatesMember Posts: 2,921
    I don't collect mini-dolls, but I do keep an eye out for good prices on certain ones since I would like to one day try customizing them as My Little Pony Equestria Girls figures. Some of the parts are really well-suited for replicating many of the characters' outfits and proportions (though certain hairstyles remain a challenge). If I can do it well enough I might even be able to do that kind of thing on commission, since there's a lot of demand for fan-created My Little Pony merchandise.

I'm really fond of the mini-doll design. The sacrifices in articulation do not bother me a whole lot, and I think the elegance of the figure designs help make up for that. They feel realistic without feeling grotesquely over-detailed like most earlier LEGO doll designs. They also allow for a lot of really detailed outfits. I wish there were more tutorials on customizing them, though, since decorating their curved shape presents a greater challenge than creating custom decorations for a standard minifigure.

I'm curious how the design options will continue to expand in the future. Currently there are four torso styles: girl, boy, woman, and man. That's a nice variety, though the latter two are fairly rare. I am wondering if there might ever be new part designs for creating younger child figures. It might be a real challenge, though, since the more realistic and less blocky designs of mini-dolls might look ridiculous if you just made the legs shorter like most "child/dwarf" minifigures.
  • legogallegogal USMember Posts: 755
    I totally agree! It is a great idea to check minidoll prices each time you are making a BL purchase. Some sellers don't care for them... leading to very low prices at times.

Friends are a very big deal in the US. It is COOL hearing about collecting Friends' sets and minidolls. I love and collect those figures as well as minifigs. They look fabulous in system builds and in my Modular sets.

There are so many fantastic parts in the Friends' sets that it has made building much more colorful and eclectic. The new colors are true winners. Just look at how beautiful they look in builds that have nothing to do with Friends' sets.

My guess is that some of the Friends purchases are coming from Barbie customers....hoorah! Hard to build much with Barbie although you can collect 25K worth of Barbie furnishings for your little princess if you so desire (discussed in a WSJ article a few years ago....very sad.) That would pay for a year of college/uni in most countries. At least with LEGO it is possible to build unlimited things which stretches a person's mind. Cool. (And you dolts who HATE Friends, please keep selling them off at low prices to those of us who appreciate them!)
    flowerpotgirl
  • klatu003klatu003 Hobbiton, Shire, Middle EarthMember Posts: 724
    Kristels creations are very cool. I keep buying Friends & Princess sets on sale for the parts, so I have a bunch of minidolls. I have collected the curly haired models to expand my Hobbit choices - Rosie Cotton uses Merida's hair. But when building, the minidolls just bring out my snarky side and I make them do stuff like take ices from Yetis and get eaten by Mixels. They represent for me all the forces in our society that emphasize appearance over substance for females - their wrists are fixed, the only pose their lower body can take is bending over at the waist - which is a direct metaphor, the minifig was modified to be less able, to be cuter. I don't blame LEGO for this move, they used market research to design a minifig that would expand their sales to girls. It is very successful and has the good effect of getting building bricks into girls' play choices.
    Andor