Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Star Wars The Force Awakens trailer new Lego sets?

jediami65jediami65 United StatesMember Posts: 474
If you are a SW fan, young or old, than like me you are probably awaiting with bated breath the December 2015 release of Episode VII. Here is the first of the trailers: I can spot a few potential Lego sets and vehicles in there, and yes a new Millennium Falcon would not be that far fetch.

I am getting goose bumps just watching the trailer!!!
GothamConstructionCo

Comments

• LostInTranslationLostInTranslation UKMember Posts: 5,594
    I remember getting goosebumps watching The Phantom Menace trailer.

Just sayin' ;-)

Not a lot to go on from that teaser. I like the lightsaber broad swordy thing.
    gmonkey76margot
  • donutboydonutboy U.K.Member Posts: 762
    I agree. That Phantom Menace trailer was amazing. Shame that everything that came out for the next 7 years after completely failed to live up to that initial excitement.
    Fingers crossed for this lot - Come on JJ, you can do it.
  • jediami65jediami65 United StatesMember Posts: 474

Better trailer
    GothamConstructionCozipsforbananasprevereRainstorm26
  • AndorAndor United StatesMember Posts: 252
    Nice. A movie I can look forward to next December since no more Hobbit movie are coming out. :-)
    Lordmoral
  • BuriedinBricksBuriedinBricks USAMember Posts: 1,367
    edited November 2014
    @jediami65‌ - That one looks great, but my understanding is that it's a fan-made fake. It uses audio from the Force Unleashed II and the Harrison Ford line is from another movie.
    Pitfall69andheCosworth3d
  • LostInTranslationLostInTranslation UKMember Posts: 5,594
    They just showed the teaser on BBC news too :-)
  • TarDomoTarDomo FinlandMember Posts: 515
    May the Fourth be with you :)
  • LobotLobot UKMember Posts: 1,001
    TarDomo said:

May the Fourth be with you :)

Isn't that December 18th (2015)..........!
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,444
    Yeah, that is NOT the official trailer. That's a fan made trailer.
    andhe
    @iccarus @pitfall69. Yes sorry 2nd trailer is not official.
  • Kevin_HyattKevin_Hyatt UKMember Posts: 778
    New stormtroopers look awesome, might have to get a battle pack or two of those. Also like the new xwing pilot.
  • zipsforbananaszipsforbananas WalesMember Posts: 250
    Can anyone be even more specific about the video @jediami65‌ posted? It may not be official, but isn't there some footage in it that must be from the new film, the shot of the older Luke at very least? Or is not even that real?

From the real one, I imagine there will be a lot of new ships and variants too, but we can be fairly sure we'll get at least a Falcon, X-Wing and TIE Fighter with the Episode VII sets, and they look pretty close to the originals.
    From a collector's point of view I'm torn, it looks good and like JJ Abrams is being careful to work them in with the originals, but I kinda don't want to regard them as proper else that'll be a lad more sets I want to buy!! I'm glad to ignore everything prequel and cartoon related if for nothing more than keeping my collection from getting grotesquely large! :P
  • Legopassion8Legopassion8 North CarolinaMember Posts: 1,181
    Yo! Would some bricknerd please submit a mod for the new Sith saber?
  • AndorAndor United StatesMember Posts: 252
    That Sith lightsaber is awesome. I hope TLG makes a new piece for that.

Yo! Would some bricknerd please submit a mod for the new Sith saber?

Yeah looks awesome, Sith always seem to have best looking LightSabres. I am wondering the Sith's name too...so many question but guess with a year until the movie opens we will be getting answers soon enough

@‌zipsforbananas, X-Wings look like they've been modified so probably get that version and something about the MF seems different just can't put my finger on it. The older Luke in the video looks legit, as do some of the other scenes almost makes you wonder how they got the footage.

You can get some still shots here:

http://jediinsider.com/images.php?mode=album&dispsize=600&album=Episode_VII_Teaser_Trailer&start=0&sl=243|16039
    Andor
  • ecmo47ecmo47 North CarolinaMember Posts: 2,101
    Those X-wings are from Joe Johnston early designs. This is a page from The Star Wars Sketch Book which I received for Christmas 1977. That book has a lot of early drawings that were made into models for later films. The starhopper model is an early version for the shuttle as shown in the ROTJ sketch book. Enjoy!
  • Lind_WhispererLind_Whisperer ZotaxMember Posts: 65
    edited November 2014
    They had me right up until the new lightsaber.

I get that it's supposed to be "cool," but seriously - think about what it's supposed to be doing. The idea of a guard is that it protects the hand against the enemy blade sliding down. At first thought, it makes sense to have a guard that is also a lightsaber blade, since even in the EU, there were very few metals that could withstand a saber.

But at second thought and first examination, that guard is dangerous. Look at it. The hilts for the guard blades to ignite out of protrude far beyond the main hilt. If an enemy blade slides down, it's going to chop them off easily, making their entire purpose mute.
    krklint
  • koozkooz Connecticut, USAMember Posts: 158
    Moot.
  • dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,129

They had me right up until the new lightsaber.

I get that it's supposed to be "cool," but seriously - think about what it's supposed to be doing. The idea of a guard is that it protects the hand against the enemy blade sliding down. At first thought, it makes sense to have a guard that is also a lightsaber blade, since even in the EU, there were very few metals that could withstand a saber.

But at second thought and first examination, that guard is dangerous. Look at it. The hilts for the guard blades to ignite out of protrude far beyond the main hilt. If an enemy blade slides down, it's going to chop them off easily, making their entire purpose mute.

you're putting far too much thought into this. all the producers care about is making something new and cool looking, and selling tons of merchandise off of it.

speaking of, can't wait to see how LEGO recreates that blade. they would need a new hilt piece with 2 extra connection points, then some 1L blades I suppose
    Andor
  • ZathrasZathras Member Posts: 70
    Anyone else notice the new satellite dish shape on the Falcon?

Wonder what else has been souped up
  • wayneggwaynegg Texas,USAMember Posts: 394
    edited November 2014
    @zipsforbananas‌ the "older" Luke is a shot from RotJ, unless you're talking about the clip of him from behind walking through the forest with a broadsword...

And please, no force empowered Stormtroopers. They're clones. As in all the same.
  • wayneggwaynegg Texas,USAMember Posts: 394
    Also not a big fan of planet side Tie Fighters. Since nothing in their design would generate lift. I really hope Disney doesn't screw this up.
  • TarDomoTarDomo FinlandMember Posts: 515
    @Lobot yes but it was kind of a joke
    ^^Come on man, don’t go down the practicality of design road and ruin all the fun! By the same argument the X-wings would fair no better since the wings have no chord to generate lift in an atmosphere. I'd hate to be a TIE pilot because there is no visibility to the sides. You'd be toast in a dog-fight.
    Zathras said:

Anyone else notice the new satellite dish shape on the Falcon?

Wonder what else has been souped up

Han would have to get a new one since Lando knock the old one off flying through the Death Star in ROTJ.
    Pitfall69
    You could upgrade your current MF model with part # 2440 (Hinge Panel 6 x 3) and save yourself the expense of buying a new set.
    edited November 2014
    @waynegg‌ - The older Luke shot I meant was him with a beard somewhere in the middle of the clip just before the Boba Fett shot, I'd got that the opening is from the end of RotJ. Oh wait, you think that's him with the red lightsabre? I see what you did there.... ;)
    And hey, I'd be thrilled at force Stormtroopers - anything to get away from the clone rubbish! The first guy you see in the genuine trailer hardly looks like a Jango clone so they're not all clones in the real one either.
    It's definitely fake, but that footage at least seems genuine. Like @jediami65‌ said, makes you wonder....

The nose-cone of the X-Wings was the first thing that looked different on them, but then Lego have never quite got that part right anyway! :P
    The TIEs seemed to have red tint to the cockpits too, more so than in the old films but not much else seemed different.
    The a new dish on the Falcon makes sense, Lando knocked it off in the Death Star run after all (not a scratch? :P). The whole ship looked a lot thinner to me, like the blue hyperdrive light is really slim compared to the old one. I might just be so used to seeing out of proportion miniatures of it and not the real thing, but that was my impression.

There are some clear differences even just at first glance, but I can't think that new Lego models would have to be all that different to reflect any of those changes.
    In short, thank you JJ Abrams! And the really good news is, we can't be any more disappointed than we were at Episode I if it turns out to be pants after all! :D
    Yea. I think Luke is the new Sith lord, too...
  • LordmoralLordmoral Puerto RicoMember Posts: 774
    Wonder how Lego is making that new droid on a ball, also, different colored Stormtroopres? Yes please it would be nice to have some variation under the helmet (or we could just change the faces under them). That new lightsaber looks practical (it prevents the user from getting his fingers cut-off from him. Wonder if Mara Jade is going to make an appearance in this new universe.
    The guard on the new Sith Saber is optional. It retracts by itself. Whoever that is, probably doesn't activate it every time he uses it.
    So does Lego already got prototypes ready, you suppose?
  • monkeyhangermonkeyhanger Member Posts: 3,011
    That Sith lightsaber looked a bit crap with the hilt guards, were they trying to be a bit game of thrones with it? Maul-style double ended lightsabre - yes! Recreating Eddard Stark's "Ice" in red light - No!

The engines of the Millenium Falcon looked a little different from the OT.
  • koozkooz Connecticut, USAMember Posts: 158
    Plell said:

"It's a moo point."
    "A moo point?"
    "Yeah. Like a cow's opinion. It doesn't matter. It's moo."

Hahaha, my wife loves Friends! This is our favorite quote!
  • brickupdatebrickupdate Member Posts: 1,020
    A genius LEGO version of the trailer:
    Legopassion8dougtsT_LarsRainstorm26
  • cheshirecatcheshirecat Member Posts: 5,332
    edited November 2014
    ecmo47 said:

You could upgrade your current MF model with part # 2440 (Hinge Panel 6 x 3) and save yourself the expense of buying a new set.

Good advice. Might save you about £300 too.
  • chuxtoyboxchuxtoybox Member Posts: 711
    Doesn't look like Star Wars already. I hope it's a lot better than my expectations, which are very low. The best thing about it will probably be the new merchandise which was the only good thing about the "prequels".
  • Kevin_HyattKevin_Hyatt UKMember Posts: 778
    When I was a kid my older brother had loads of Ralph Macquarie (spelling?) Art books with loads of star wars concept art in. The MF in the trailer has that feel to it, which I like BTW.
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,444
    The guy in the Stormtrooper outfit could just be someone dressed as a Stormtrooper; like Han and Luke did.
    jasor
  • cavegodcavegod Member Posts: 806
    You mean Landos son undercover looking for han and leias daughter (on speeder) escape Tatooine in falcon.
    Andor
    Damn @cavegod, I didn't even think that could be Lando's son...and plot you outline...I can buy that.
  • thehornedratthehornedrat Member Posts: 86
    edited November 2014
    Bioniclemastermind's trailer is more slick of the two here, although brickupdate post of the trailer made by Snooperking is all over the news. Well done to both! Its alot of love and work to put these together either way.
    Andor
  • ShatteredGnomeShatteredGnome Docking Bay 94, Mos Eisley, TatooineMember Posts: 32
    Those Lego trailers are cool, but I think some of the mini models could have been done at a slightly larger and more detailed scale. That's just my preference.

I think that new lightsaber with saber-blade guards works just fine; it's no different in terms of danger than any other modified version of a lightsaber. The double-bladed and other variants are as dangerous to the wielder as they are to an opponent, because (even with a normal lightsaber) you could accidentally cut yourself.
  • prof1515prof1515 EarthMember Posts: 1,561

Those Lego trailers are cool, but I think some of the mini models could have been done at a slightly larger and more detailed scale. That's just my preference.

I think that new lightsaber with saber-blade guards works just fine; it's no different in terms of danger than any other modified version of a lightsaber. The double-bladed and other variants are as dangerous to the wielder as they are to an opponent, because (even with a normal lightsaber) you could accidentally cut yourself.

Which is why the double-bladed lightsaber and the pathetically cardboard character that wielded it are the worst thing about Episode I, even worse than JarJar.

• CapnRex101CapnRex101 United KingdomAdministrator Posts: 2,316
    I consider the lightsaber with blade guards a flawed design simply because you cannot then rotate the weapon around your wrist. Every attacking move other than those involving stabbing relies on that rotation, substantially reducing the wielder's ability.
  • monkey_roomonkey_roo Member Posts: 1,407
    The new saber is no different than a traditional broadsword in construct, the side blades are more protective than offensive. Personally I like it, given the number of characters that can wield a saber and the fact that each user must construct their own as part of the training (light or dark) then it makes sense that there would be a raft of different designs etc. and as a result each fighting style will be different, the same as with real swords. A cutlas, a broadsword and a samurai sword are all very different, all equity as deadly and all promote a very different fighting style.

Anyway, more interesting is why do we have stormtroopers, tie fighters and x-wings etc? What has happened in the last 30 years that means there are still two sides? why would the falcon have to fight past anything? But then again the point of the teaser is to ask more questions than provide answers.

As for lego, a new falcon and x-wings are almost a given, if the speeder we saw has a more prominent role then that would be an obvious choice and loads of new figuers. Guess we will start getting leaks and news in around six months, along with a full trailer or two, can't wait.
    ^The Emperor, Vader, the SSD and the 2nd Death Star being destroyed would obviously have had a huge impact on the state of the galaxy, but the Empire wouldn't have just shrivelled up overnight. The added victory scenes at the end of the special edition RotJ are a bit naive; would everyone in the Star Wars universe really have instantly embraced the New Alliance? There's plenty of room for all sorts of situations and tensions, and all far more substantial and exciting as a trade dispute on one remote planet! ;)

My very vague and rough guess is that there is some kind of uprising of forces that have been laying low and building secretly for 30 years, and there will be plenty of other ships and the like, but the ones we are familiar with are the obvious ones to show us at the outset.
    dougts
  • cavegodcavegod Member Posts: 806
    You sure palpetine is dead? Wasnt he taught by his master how to cheat death?