Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

Can Brickset become a place that AFOLs Use to find other nearby AFOLs?

bmwlegobmwlego Long Island, New YorkMember Posts: 762
edited October 2011 in Community and Events
Huw and the Brickset Community,
As an avid fan of this site I have been fortunate enough to find other AFOLs who live in New York by reading through the comments on most of the discussion threads. I think it would be cool if users here could post new topics that would only interest local fans as a way to meet other fans in your area. For instance, the LUG I belong to (I LUG NY) is having a meeting on October 22nd. I'd like to post this in an area on Brickset for NY members so that they would learn about the meeting and my post wouldn't bother those Brickset users who are not from NY.

I know that there are news topics for UK, US, Canada and other countries. Is it possible to create an area for users from a country with a sub topic of where someone lives if they want to provide that info? I am not asking for members to divulge their address or anything as specific as that, just a state or region where one lives. This way Brickset can become a website where AFOLs can connect with other AFOLs living near them and make new friends, add members to a LUG, etc.

Comments

• RobbRobb Member Posts: 144
    Sounds like a great idea.
  • Silber334Silber334 Member Posts: 147
    Well, if any of you can provide good Lego deals at your local stores, it would also be a good reason to visit that area when we're all travelling abroad :) I know quite some folks who drop by to a nearby location just to purchase some good Lego sets.
  • bmwlegobmwlego Long Island, New YorkMember Posts: 762
    I know that this website and forum are a great resource for AFOLs to by chance find others living near them. I thought more people would have chimed in by now. I really think an AFOL locator function would be useful for those of us who want to meet face to face and be part of a LUG. For those of you not in a LUG, you don't know what you are missing!
  • doodlebirddoodlebird Austin. Texas. Member Posts: 85
    i don't mean to be flip... but does the LUG index not provide enough info? find your region, find your LUG, find AFOLs. i'm lucky enough to be in a LUG that has a pretty good email list going with regards to meetings and sales and stuff. i suppose not all AFOLs and LUG members are so lucky? i guess i really don't know what typical LUG productivity is.
  • hleonffuhleonffu USAMember Posts: 228
    @bmwlego I support your idea. Brick set is a great community, but sometimes it would be great to meet members in person. LUG meetings are not always convenient with family life.
  • StuBoyStuBoy New ZealandMember Posts: 623
    I don't think we even have a LUG in New Zealand. If anyone knows otherwise let me know!
    doodlebird-
    I understand where you are coming from but my point is that so many of us already frequent this site so it would be another valuable tool that makes Brickset that much better. As a member of a LUG who is trying to build membership I think that this idea could go a long way towards meeting other AFOLs in the area.

Your option works as well. I guess the LUG Index would be a way for those who are interested to search out a LUG instead of a LUG searching out local AFOLs.
  • HuwHuw Brickset Towers, Hampshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,384
    I think it's a good idea, but not sure how it could be implemented within the current framework.

Lugnet had local groups and IIRC only very high level, country, ones were successful.
  • kylejohnson11kylejohnson11 Member Posts: 508
    @Huw Under the "About" section for the user pages, could you add a row for Location and then make it searchable? I think this would help acheive what @bmwlego is moving towards.
    edited October 2011
    Sounds like a good option. Something simple but not too specific such as the State you live in. The user decides whether or not they want to provide the info and how specific they want to make it.
  • MorkManMorkMan Phoenix, Arizona, USAMember Posts: 853
    Was this ever implemented?
    I just edited my profile and on this page you can shre info such as Country, State, City and LUG affiliation. This is a step in the right direction.

Now...is this a feature that is searchable so you can easily find others who have shared this info?
  • hleonffuhleonffu USAMember Posts: 228
    @bmwlego I just updated my profile as well.