Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

elazgar: This is me

elazgarelazgar Member Posts: 31
edited May 2011 in Introduce yourself
Hello everyone.
This is a brief descriction about me.
I´m a 17 years old GIRL who fancied LEGO bricks many years ago but entered in my dark ages for about 8 years until a few years ago. In the last 2 years I have bought almost all my sets as my old sets were lost unless a DUPLO box which have many differents pieces (I don´t know where they come from).
I was able to visit a LEGO shop for the first time last summer.
My first set after my dark ages was the Creator 4993 and my favourite ones are the Modular Houses (although most of them are too expensive for me to buy so often).
I really enjoy Mocking but sadly I am very busy lately with my stuff for school.
For the next 3 months I will have to dismantle all my sets as I´m moving to another city in order to go to University so I´m spending my time in clasifying all the bricks and sets.
I´m sorry if there is any mistake with my spelling as I am from Spain.
Maybe this is not the right place to make a question but I would like to know if there are many women AFOLS around.

Hope to see interesting news and take part in this forum.

Comments

• MatthewMatthew Cheshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 3,734

Maybe this is not the right place to make a question but I would like to know if there are many women AFOLS around.
    You're officially a SheFOL :-)
    I haven't heard of many, but there's a fair scattering of you about.
    Welcome to the forum.

Matthew
  • bluemoosebluemoose Member Posts: 1,716
    The proper term, according the Brick Journal at least, is AFFOL (Adult Female Fan Of LEGO). Personally I hate the term, as there is nothing inherently 'masculine' about 'AFOL' ... why create artificial divisions where none are needed?

Anyway, welcome to the forum :-)

There are loads of female LEGO fans around, although we've only got a few signed up here so far. We've got 20+ active female members in the Brickish Association, which is around 15-20% of the active membership (i.e. those that regularly attend displays, post on the member website, etc.).
  • PaulTRPaulTR Member Posts: 115
    I'm also 17 (although I'm a guy :) and I also just started to pick up the pace with my MOCing, but with my graduation coming up, it's been a bumpy ride. Welcome to the club!
    P. S.
    I just want to let you know your English is very good!
    The proper term, according the Brick Journal at least, is AFFOL (Adult Female Fan Of LEGO). Personally I hate the term, as there is nothing inherently 'masculine' about 'AFOL' ... why create artificial divisions where none are needed?

Anyway, welcome to the forum :-)

There are loads of female LEGO fans around, although we've only got a few signed up here so far. We've got 20+ active female members in the Brickish Association, which is around 15-20% of the active membership (i.e. those that regularly attend displays, post on the member website, etc.).
    Oh, OK, on EB the term used is SheFOL, that's where I got it from.
  • bluemoosebluemoose Member Posts: 1,716
    That's cool ... I still think it's a horrid phrase :-)
    That's cool ... I still think it's a horrid phrase :-)
    I've become used to it now, though when you stop and think about it it's not a ManFOL or something else, so we should all just use AFOL.
  • elazgarelazgar Member Posts: 31
    edited April 2011
    It´s always great to know that I´m not the only SheFol / AFFOL here. Nevertheless I think I prefer to be just an AFOL who doesn´t like the Star Wars sets just like 90% of the AFOL comunity (I haven´t been able even to watch one of the films).

I agree with you, why are we going to create a "gender gap" in LEGO world?

Thanks for you charming welcome, I´ll try to write as much as I can and be an active member of the forum.
    edited April 2011
    I only watched the first Star Wars film a couple of weeks ago, and now (against my better judgement) I've started buying sets! I wouldn't say 90% don't like it, more like do.
  • prof1515prof1515 EarthMember Posts: 1,561
    Unless the term AMFOL is being used I don't see a reason that singling out female Lego fans should be done. Sometimes the immature male mindset of defaulting to a male definition based on an attitude of "this is for guys because a majority of enthusiasts are male". They fail to understand that there are no gender requirements nor does a person's gender affect their enthusiasm or ability to collect Lego (or anything else for that matter). Besides, sometimes demographics change over time. Who knows, perhaps in 50 years women may comprise the majority of AFOLs. It's probably not likely but given that females outnumber males, it's definitely possible.
    edited April 2011
    In my opinion girls do not play with LEGO bricks because nobody gives them a LEGO set as a birthday present. When you have to buy something for a girl you just buy a doll and for a boy a car. I think that this is what makes children play with one thing or not.

For me it's clear that this also depends on the child mind, I mean, when I was little I hated dolls and Barbies and the colour pink! I enjoyed playing with my LEGOs, drawing and any board game.
    Now I'm older and I'm not really keen on pink although I can stand it and I still love LEGO.

In fact I want to become an engineer and keep building things, repair engines, design the car of the future or a new kind of washing machine, you never know. But the question is, how many women wanted to be an engineer 40 years ago and how many want it today?

Numbers are changing and people's minds too. I'm sure that in a near future more and more girls will play with LEGO and not just Belville.

Going back to the discussion, the term AFOL doesn't say anything which can offend any woman AFOL.
  • mrduckiemrduckie Member Posts: 1
    edited April 2011
    *adjusts hair*

Seriously though, lego needs to stop with the rubbish pink sets and make the normal ones more gender-neutral. They should add a couple girl police and fire fighters and include more animals in the sets.
    *adjusts hair*

Seriously though, lego needs to stop with the rubbish pink sets and make the normal ones more gender-neutral. They should add a couple girl police and fire fighters and include more animals in the sets.
    Have you looked at the most recent community workers set? That has a female police officer, farmer, businesswoman, waitress (as opposed to waiter) and more which I can't remember.
  • drdavewatforddrdavewatford Hertfordshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,435
    Have you looked at the most recent community workers set? That has a female police officer, farmer, businesswoman, waitress (as opposed to waiter) and more which I can't remember.
    And about time too, to be honest.

• snowgirl90snowgirl90 Member Posts: 5
    Nice to see here is more females :D Im a 20 Year old from Finland and I love legos my whole life :D
  • NightfuryNightfury Member Posts: 13
    26 year old Female from the US here.
    It is great to have news about young female AFOLs! Do you think there is any difference between what we like about LEGO and what males like?
  • otterotter Member Posts: 12
    Welcome, elazgar! Glad to share that I'm also a female AFOL from British Columbia, Canada. Looking forward to getting to know you better at the forum! :D
  • SarahIsabellaSarahIsabella USAMember Posts: 69
    I'm a female AFOL - glad to see a few others here too.
    Like you, my favorites are the modular buildings, I hope they will continue to make those!
    hey! we are five now!
    As you, I want them to keep on making modular buildings but make them cheaper!
  • pookiepookie Member Posts: 156
    Make that six
    Lego fan from Alameda CA
  • RogueRogue Member Posts: 27
    Up to seven! I'm a 27 year old fan from the US. :)
  • jagdjhjagdjh Member Posts: 95
    Eight! I'm a 41 year old fan in the US. I never had Legos as a kid but fell for them when I started buying them for my oldest son (now 19). I now have a just turned 3 year old son and he is already hooked.
  • MinifigsMeMinifigsMe Member Posts: 2,844
    Hello *waves*
    Im a 31 yr old AFFOL or whatever we're called, from the UK. About 3-4 months out of the dark ages, and only just letting myself spend real amounts on new lego. Quite happily playing and sorting bulk boxes bought on ebay.
    My sister and I played with lego a LOT as kids, but we only have a couple of houses, cars and a bucket of bricks.
    Im now majorly cool auntie as I have more lego than my niece and nephew :)
  • burakki62burakki62 Member Posts: 46
    hello, you can count me in too! I am 30 yr old AFOL living in the UK. Ive been out of the dark age a few years now, thanks to Lego star wars and my collection has steadily grown. I am particularly into minifigs and I enjoy making my own custom, which I post to my flickr account.
  • clundsbergclundsberg Member Posts: 44
    I'm beginning to think all the cool Lego chicks live in the UK...lol
    Almost 36 here - U.S. (male) and I wanted to warn Elazgar of the dangers of dismantling your sets by piece or colour. I did this when I moved from college and now that I have a 6 year old who loves them (which only feeds my excuse to buy more), I'm finding out what a pain in the arse it is putting these sets back together. I'd suggest perhaps dismantling them and putting the set pieces with instructions in ziplock bags and then storage bins unless of course you don't care to rebuild the original sets.
    That being said: HIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII EVERYONE ELSE ON THIS THREAD!
    Thank you for the advice. I first tried to keep all my pieces sorted by color but I found this useless if I wanted to build a MOC bacause there were too many pieces in one bag (all of them the same colour) and I couldn´t find the right number of studs of the piece I needed. Now I´m mixing the colours but sorting them by the shape of them. My favourites sets and the big ones (like modular houses or 4993) in ziplock bags. I have to say that it´s being difficult to do all this. As most of my sets are not too big I think this is not a big problem. I hope to have a special place in my house to keep my LEGO sets and play with them but this is going to take a long time (still have to start and finish university...)
  • wander099wander099 Member Posts: 114
    I'm also a female AFOL and I did have Lego as a kid (though bear in mind I also had collectible trading cards, action figures, etc.). I would never buy pink Lego, I find it utterly appalling. I own one pink Lego item (to my knowledge) it is a Popsicle piece :) My sister had Lego as a kid too, but she got bored of it and gave it all to me!
  • burakki62burakki62 Member Posts: 46
    ^I wish my sister would have had Lego to give to me! All she played with was barbie and other various girlie dolls... so not interested in those (o:
  • clundsbergclundsberg Member Posts: 44
    I still have a bunch of old toys - just wish I had the room and maybe some glass display tables (like they do at the mall) to put them in. Anyhoo nice meeting everyone. Feel free to drop a line sometime - this place is kind of addicting to me.
    My two stepsisters think that I´m really weird because of playing with LEGObut I just ignore them, the only thing they gave me was a PC game which one of them had as a present for a birthday 8 years ago. My little brother is now starting to play with LEGO and I also have a little cousin (girl) who likes LEGO too (she has the airport, not any of the PINK sets! )
  • BlueTaylorBlueTaylor Member Posts: 51
    I know this is old but I am a female collector too! 23 years old from Melbourne, Australia. I've been collecting about 10 years. Just wanted to say hi. HI!
  • AFFOL_Shellz_BellzAFFOL_Shellz_Bellz Member Posts: 1,263
    At 67 I'm an AFFOL and I don't mind if we use the second F or not. There were no Lego when I was little, and when my children were young we could not afford them. The first Lego I ever saw belonged to a girl who would now be in her 40's. Been collecting just over three years. Nice to know there are so many of us gals who enjoy Lego even if we do have varying interestd and opinions of pink Lego. I've never seen a piece of Lego I didn't like!