Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

[UK] Do you have these sets?

HuwHuw Brickset Towers, Hampshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,758
DK want to borrow the following sets to photograph for a forthcoming book:

• 600 Police Car (1978)
• 606 Ambulance (1978)
• 381 Police Station HQ (1979)
• 6987 Message Intercept Base (1988)
• 7191 Star Wars X-Wing (2000)
• 3451 Sopwith Camel (2001)

Can you help?

Comments

• TLGTLG Member Posts: 125
    But whats the book about?
  • HuwHuw Brickset Towers, Hampshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,758
    Best LEGO sets ever
  • TLGTLG Member Posts: 125
    I would, but I don't live in the U.K.
  • oldtodd33oldtodd33 Denver 4800 miles to BillundMember Posts: 2,536
    The #6987 definitely qualifies as one of the best ever. I wouldn't mind either but I'm in the US as well.
  • NorlegoNorlego ScotlandMember Posts: 449
    Odd they dont have a copy of each set made or at least the bricks to make them....
  • iamterryiamterry Member Posts: 162
    I have a sticker less #3451 but I'm not around for another week if that helps as a backup plan?
  • cheshirecatcheshirecat Member Posts: 5,332
    edited November 2014
    I have #6987 but no box - if that matters.
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 19,317
    Are the DK books "official" in that they have LEGO's approval? If they are, I wonder why they can't borrow direct from LEGO.
  • prof1515prof1515 EarthMember Posts: 1,561
    600 Police Car (1978) - YES but with no box. Not sure where the instructions are (they're at my parent's place somewhere)

606 Ambulance (1978) - NO

381 Police Station HQ (1979) - YES but with no box. See above comment about instructions.

6987 Message Intercept Base (1988) - NO

7191 Star Wars X-Wing (2000) - YES

I don't live in the UK though.
    edited November 2014
    @ccc, I presume they can't get them from LEGO in a built state.
  • WoutStopmotionWoutStopmotion Member Posts: 33
    I don't have those sets, besides that, i live in the Netherlands (although i could send something over with no problem). I do have 600-1 Ambulance and 605-2 Taxi somewhere though, i'll have to see where their pieces went.
  • KingDaveKingDave UKMember Posts: 971
    They are ALL on ebay right now! Lazy/tight buggers.
    Norlego
    ^ I often think the same, given the budget they must have set aside for the book's production.
    ^It would just be easier for them to buy them, use them and then sell them again afterwards (if they really need the money back). Faffing about organising borrowing them from multiple people all over the place and then sending them back would take ages! If they buy them and then keep them until a few months after the book comes out they may even make money on them if the price of those sets gets a boost!
    ShibNorlego
  • AdeelZubairAdeelZubair London, UKMember Posts: 2,666
    LEGO have all there old sets in a secret basement. Why don't LEGO lend them the sets?
  • cheshirecatcheshirecat Member Posts: 5,332
    edited November 2014
    ^^ But realistically in what world is that easier than borrowing them from a few people? You'd have to source them on ebay, buy them, hope that they are actually complete, build them and then to get the money back, list them on ebay, break them down, and post them out.

It may feel unnecessary but it is much easier for them to just ask Huw to arrange them. Presumably they are taking more photos of other sets that they've already got through existing contacts (or its going to be a very short book!) so its pretty sensible really.
    ^ The only real advantage of borrowing them from Bricksetters would be the increased chance of getting sets in good to mint condition. There are many less links in the chain to organise and arrange if you just buy them off ebay and it is probably faster as well. If I were a re-seller (which I'm not) I would be buying up all the sets mentioned above ready to sell on after the book comes out.
  • DrmnezDrmnez USA, Planet earth Member Posts: 859
    They want a built set I presume? I have to put my #7191 back together but if I get around to it I wouldn't mind lending it out. Just the set. No box or manual
    ^ How can they be writing a book about Lego but not want to/be able to build a few Lego sets?
  • obi_gobi_g BlightyMember Posts: 561
    edited November 2014
    Huw said:

i dont have them unfortunately, but if they want to get them unbuilt then i dont mind if they pay me to put them together... ;)
  • obi_gobi_g BlightyMember Posts: 561
    obi_g said:

Huw said:

i dont have them unfortunately, but if they want to get them unbuilt then i dont mind if they pay me to put them together... ;)
    might even do it for free for the x-wing!
  • theLEGOmantheLEGOman UKMember Posts: 1,521
    It's quite possible they will go to a photo studio and the book author will not get to see them, if they have a 2 hour slot at a studio they can't expect the photographer to build them.
  • LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,804
    KingDave said:

They are ALL on ebay right now! Lazy/tight buggers.

I was thinking the same. @Huw, I'd consider selling them one of my two MISB #7191s if they want a fresh one. Whilst saving them eBay fees, I'd even build it for them if they so desired. ;o)
  • jondesouzaCEjondesouzaCE UKMember Posts: 242
    I've got a #600 and #606 but some stickers are missing and others aren't in the best condition.
    I need to resurrect this discussion because DK has been back in touch, with a revised list. Currently it is looking for:

381 Police Station HQ
    6080 King's Castle
    6085 Black Monarch's Castle
    6380 Emergency Treatment Center
    7191 USC X-wing

Plus, various constraction sets:

- Slizer/Throwbots
    - Galidor
    - Rahi
    - Bahrok
    - Makuta
    - Matoran
    - Nidhiki
    - Krekka
    - Knights Kingdom II Constraction knights

I have a 7191 but it's had the white and tan swapped out for grey so may not be suitable.

If you have them, DK will either arrange for a courier to pick them up or you can have an expenses paid trip to London to take them to their offices, on the Strand.

Please contact me by PM or email [email protected] if you can help rather than clutter the forum.

Thanks
  • legogallegogal USMember Posts: 755
    Who needs the Comedy Channel? This thread has been much more entertaining, even hilarious, and it is free....WOW!