Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Lego sets and collecting

monkeymonkey Member Posts: 235
edited November 2014 in Collecting
I've been wondering why people chase and are prepared to pay lots money for hard to find/retired sets, when it is also often possible to source brand new parts on bricklink, and instructions are freely available.

I understand that with large sets such as HH, TH etc the savings will not be great (and may even turn out more expensive to go bricklink way), but with smaller sets such as RI I think it is possible to get the set together cheaper than the asking price, and next to nothing for those who already own a good lego bricks collection as many parts are common.

Is it just because of collecting and the wish to own a (sealed) box? Because if you just want to build the set, display it/enjoy it, then the only thing you need is parts really?

Comments

• CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 19,645
    Different people want different things. Some people want the box to keep the set in. For sets with boxes like RI I think that makes sense. For boxes that get damaged when you open them, less so.

There is a whole thread on is a set bought by collecting the parts the same as a real set.
  • monkeymonkey Member Posts: 235
    edited November 2014
    Thanks CCC I'll look up that thread, this question has been bothering me lately as I want some sets such as the #4840 The Burrow but its selling for crazy money on eBay!
  • plasmodiumplasmodium UKMember Posts: 1,942
    Often, for desirable sets, there are a few exclusive/unique pieces or minifigs (due to printing or colour) which are so expensive as to not make it any more efficient to Bricklink it - that and the time and effort involved in tracking down every part.
  • graphitegraphite USMember Posts: 3,270
    ^ And it is supply and demand that balances out part prices as well. If certain sets cost a lot to buy whole then people start buying the parts and eventually the lower supply parts raise in cost to make the part out value of a set basically the cost of buying one.