Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Lego Christmas Calendars

TarDomoTarDomo FinlandMember Posts: 515
What do you think about Lego Christmas calendars?

Comments

• rdflegordflego in a world of his ownMember Posts: 324
    I get one every year and stay very much away from spoilers of what's to come. I like mine to be a surprise. Btw did you know that the insides from the calendars are perfect for basic brick storage? I've attached a picture to demostrate.
    LegoKip
  • TarDomoTarDomo FinlandMember Posts: 515
    ^ Not thought that before but that's a pretty good idea :), I have thought what should I do with them so that was a helpful tip. I have all the SW calendars and a few others.
    My dad has bought himself the SW one this year but I prefer the City ones as it's more my style. Having said that I bought the Creator ones when they first started and this years Christmas Vader is super tempting.

I tend to find that the trays inside stack easy and I've even elevated mine on a cheap shoe rack so that I can access the ones underneath.
    Andor
    ^ I missed the first Lego calendar year but after that I've got 1-2 calendars every year. Now the SW calendar has already came kind of a tradition for me.
    ^ I missed the first Lego calendar year but after that I've got 1-2 calendars every year. Now the SW calendar has already came kind of a tradition for me.
    I'm envious @TarDomo‌ , 2 calendars per season sounds like an awful good way to start and end the day.
  • tamamahmtamamahm Member Posts: 1,977
    I am quite underwhelmed for the price and what they contain. We did them one year when I had them on clearance from the year before. It reminds me, I have some bought on clearance I should pull out this year, but overall, I would rather put the money into a set. In my case, for $30? I picked up the turkey, snowman and reindeer, which I think was a better use of funds.
    MorkMan
  • prof1515prof1515 EarthMember Posts: 1,561
    tamamahm said:

I am quite underwhelmed for the price and what they contain. We did them one year when I had them on clearance from the year before. It reminds me, I have some bought on clearance I should pull out this year, but overall, I would rather put the money into a set. In my case, for $30? I picked up the turkey, snowman and reindeer, which I think was a better use of funds.

They're also quite repetitive. If you have one Star Wars calendar, you have half the contents of the next. So now you've overpaid for one and then overpaid again to get the same thing you already had. Given all the potential they could put into these things, it just seems like they make them as an afterthought or with the expectation that no one will buy them again the next year after finding out what little they got for their money the first time.
    ThirdBuckEye
  • NatebwNatebw Tampa BayMember Posts: 339
    I wouldn't buy one for me, but I do buy them for the kids. It makes every morning a tiny Christmas!

As for sorting - I agree it makes the sorting easy. It is just the getting the little piles out of the compartment that is hard. If anyone has a hack for that, I would like to hear it.
    My solution @Natebw‌ ? Invest in a cabinet with small drawers that come out. If you can invest $30 on a set, invest that same money into a new cabinet. Then put bricks and larger items in the trays.
    Natebw
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 19,645
    There is quite a bit of discussion about this on the existing advent calendar thread. http://www.bricksetforum.com/discussion/comment/302672#Comment_302672
  • donutboydonutboy U.K.Member Posts: 762
    edited November 2014
    Personally, I would agree that on a parts basis, as in how many pieces you get for your money, they are quite expensive, but the fun you get out of them is well worth the money. Especially as you can usually find them with a few quid off somewhere. Me and my daughter have a great time opening the doors and making the models every December breakfast time.
    NatebwLegoKip
  • Bosstone100Bosstone100 USAMember Posts: 1,434
    Why not buy them after Xmas for a discount and save them for next year?
  • plasmodiumplasmodium UKMember Posts: 1,942

Why not buy them after Xmas for a discount and save them for next year?

My (15 year old) brother decided that this was a good idea - except that he was going to use the advent calendar for his birthday (in August).

No idea quite what goes on in his head, except that I think he thinks advent calendars cheapen Christmas and contribute to the selfish materialistic Western attitude or something like that...

But it was quite a fun thing to have in the middle of the summer holidays (though the snowmen etc seemed a little out of place - we had the City one).

I think it's telling that my brother thought that the Star Wars one was in fact more boring than the City one - the little City micro-builds kinda serve a purpose, but the SW ones, not so much.
    Andor
  • dannyrwwdannyrww WisconsinMember Posts: 1,395
    We did Friends a couple years back and it was fun but with only two minifigures my daughters said they wanted something else. Someone got us a Star Wars one that I held onto (resisting the desire to open it for a year. This Year we will do Lego City. I think it has the most practical builds and plenty of minifigures.
    Andor
  • SMCSMC UKMember Posts: 2,064
    I think last years city one was much better than this years one, it had a space man and racing driver with little car, new Santa (I know its the same this year) and a rarer dog. Think this year it would have been cool if they did the city one in the artic, new dog lots of snow, could have worked well and been a bit different for people that get one every year.
    ShibplasmodiumLegoKip
  • plasmodiumplasmodium UKMember Posts: 1,942
    Yeah, even if they just included elements of the Arctic theme. Like 3 or 4 days - an explorer in Arctic gear, a small snowmobile, a dog, a crystal and some tools or something.
  • ShibShib UKMember Posts: 5,421
    It was a pretty obvious trick missed by TLG, but you never know they might do that next year to use up the huskies etc.
  • SMCSMC UKMember Posts: 2,064
    Yep the spaceman from the 2013 calendar was from a 2011 set so we could see it next year but I think if it had of been this year it would have helped sell both sets, people might get a arctic explorer in the calendar and liked it and wanted more.
    ShibLegoKip
  • LegoKipLegoKip A cottage by the sea, California, US Member Posts: 259
    @SMC‌
    The Arctic theme is a natural for Christmas. I like Shib's idea of huskies in the AC.
  • ShibShib UKMember Posts: 5,421
    More Huskies can only ever be good...in Lego City sets from my perspective anyway.
  • CapnRex101CapnRex101 United KingdomAdministrator Posts: 2,316
    The advent calendars always seem to be a year or so behind. The Snowtrooper in the Star Wars calendar appears to be the old version, which is very disappointing.
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 19,645
    ^ I guess it is using up stock that is not needed elsewhere.