Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

(UK) VW Camper in Stores

Si_UKNZSi_UKNZ NZMember Posts: 4,179
edited September 2011 in Buying & Selling Topics
Just picked mine up from westfield london.

Noticed no grab bags again, knights battle packs have gone, but they had boxed iphone apps .. weird!

Comments

• atkinsaratkinsar Member Posts: 4,272
    Ordered mine today, been looking forward to this for a long time. Boxed iphone apps, what the?! I don't get it, what apps and how can you 'box' an app?
  • Si_UKNZSi_UKNZ NZMember Posts: 4,179
    edited September 2011
    yes, doesnt make any sense, sorry, was walking and typing. It was a lego box, and it looked like it might be a computer game or something (hence I didnt pay it much attention at the time), with an 'app store' icon on the side. Are there any official Lego iphone apps? Maybe someone with an iphone could have a look? I assumed that it might be the actual app, e.g. in the box maybe you get a manual and a code and you can then unlock the app, but this is pure hypothesis as I didnt look at it. Anyone know? ..

Yes, I've been very excited about the splitty too since it was announced. It has the most beautiful lego box Ive ever seem. They've put a photo of mountains behind it, and the 'pose' theyve put it in looks just like one of the original splitty brochure pics. Theyve interspersed photos of a real splitty in the same colours. It's really sweet, very well done. I tend to chuck boxes away, but not this one.
    Plan to build it tonight and can't wait, can tell it's gonna be fun.
  • princedravenprincedraven Essex, UKMember Posts: 3,768
    ^ Si, do you think it could be something like this??

http://9to5mac.com/2011/09/27/disney-appmates-arriving-saturday-turning-your-ipad-into-a-racetrack-for-toy-cars/

I can see how they could make a nice little game/app with Lego figures that interact.
  • LostInTranslationLostInTranslation UKMember Posts: 5,594
    edited September 2011
    Apparently, there is a Lego iphone photo app, that converts photos into Lego versions.
    http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/lego-photo/id347363502?mt=8

When googling Lego apps, i found this too :)
    http://appadvice.com/appnn/2011/01/angry-birds-lego
  • RavenhookRavenhook Member Posts: 70
    TLG has a number of official iPhone apps. When I last actually downloaded some a while ago, there was an interactive version of Creationary, and a photo app than transformed any picture in your photo library into a LEGO mosaic.

The former was too childish for me but the latter found a permanent place in my photos folder. Those are the ones I've looked at. The other iPhone apps they have include a Ninjago game, a minifigure collector, and a Duplo farm game.

These are the official The LEGO Group apps, so are probably what they are promoting in the stores. They're probably a bit child orientated to be of much interest to the AFOL, although as I said, I found the photo one useful.

There are also hundreds of unofficial "LEGO related" items in the app store, including approximately 5 billion variations of minifig collectors (barcode / dotcode references, etc), but one that stands out was a nifty little virtual brick arranger that let you build models on an 8x8 baseplate.
    a-ha, yes, that was it! thanks!
    Time to fire up the LEGO section of the App Store again!

I've now downloaded "Life of George" and although I don't have the play mat, it's easy to get the idea of how it would work.

Very nicely done!

Huge kudos to TLG for experimenting with a fairly radical concept. Deserves a purchase of the full kit just to encourage this melding of real world objects and virtual.

Although it may be just a game, there's an incredible merging of technology here. The pattern recognition alone, on a pocket device that just a few years ago would have been unthinkable.

Imagine the near future: point your smartphone at a model and have it display the set reference!
    edited September 2011
    ^ Yes, but why not do an Android version, since there are more android than iphone users now?

Back to the camper van, finished building it last night - looks stunning, fantastic amount of detail packed into the space, but it's VERY fragile, and unnecessarily so.e.g. the poptop seems to break every time I use it and a technics 2x4 brick with a vertical pin to hold it down onto the plate, instead of the 1x4 brown bricks would have stopped this.

The front of the roof is very fragile, and more support under it would have fixed it. The entire front half is held on by a very few pieces, etc etc. I dont think this is meant to be a play toy by any stretch, so you might not mind this, but you have to be extremely careful when handling it.

On the other hand, it IS one of the most beautiful sets Ive ever seen, and it's not that hard to reinforce, so worth it defo.

• atkinsaratkinsar Member Posts: 4,272
    edited September 2011
    I got mine today, can't wait to start building, but I may not get around to it this weekend what with STEAM tomorrow and the glorious weather, it's too nice to spend Sunday in doors.
  • StevenAshbyStevenAshby Member Posts: 155
    Got mine yesterday as well, going to build it tonight looking at the box i to am amazed with the detail inside cant wait to see it built.
    Yes, but why not do an Android version, since there are more android than iphone users now?
    Since I have a foot in software development, I'll address this briefly:

Android is indeed shaping up to be the dominant mobile phone OS. There are good reasons for that: it's developed by Google and given away free to any of the 100+ mobile phone manufacturers who want to use it, resulting in thousands of Android devices on offer.

Android phones cover the full range, from very cheap entry level phones with low resolution screens given out when you get a haircut (really!) up to speed blazing stunners like the Samsung Galaxy S II.

It might seem that with all these Androids out there, it would be natural to make it the main development platform. However...

1) The vast range of Android OS versions and device capabilities in the market make it more time consuming for developers to target, test and debug. Screen resolutions vary, processor speeds vary, graphics performance varies, camera capabilities, etc, etc. Compare this to the iPhone, which presents at most two variants to target.

2) The Android marketplace, though well stocked, is not making much money for developers. There are many explanations for this, ranging from the generally lower quality of apps on offer, to the economics of ad supported versus paid apps, the former of which Google encourages, given that most of its vast revenues are from advertising.

3) Though vast, the majority of Android owners making up the dominant marketshare have moved from simpler phones and an Android powered device is simply what their carrier offered them. They are not aware their phone OS is Android, to the extent that most people don't know the OS that powers their car's fuel consumption computer.

Contrast this to the iPhone, where the ecosystem is well established, very profitable, and whose app store is very visible in the popular eye.

People who choose an iPhone are generally doing so for what they think it can do for them, which includes installing and using apps.

People who choose an Android device are either technically minded people who know exactly what it represents, or the complete opposite. Unfortunately, the latter greatly outnumbers the former.

The simple truth is that while the iPhone has the mindshare that it has in popular culture, and continues to get the promotion and attention to detail from Apple, it will be the first and foremost development platform for new apps like this.
  • MartinMartin Member Posts: 375
    Having been setting up the show at STEAM today I'm excited to see this set in the LEGO store at the show. I have one reserved for me (thanks Jules!)
  • StevenAshbyStevenAshby Member Posts: 155
    Made mine last night it really is a beautiful set but i agree it is quite delicate. Sadly mine was missing two pieces a 1x2 white flat and a 1x10 white, which has made the roof even more fragile will have to speak to lego.