Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Discontinuing blue base plates?

JBricks27JBricks27 Member Posts: 678
Can anyone confirm this? I heard the blue is being discontinued for tan

Comments

• blasterfishblasterfish Member Posts: 20
    i don't think lego will discontinue these but new tan plates in the store would be great
  • TarDomoTarDomo FinlandMember Posts: 515
    ^ yes they would be cool. I'd like to use tan plates with a Podrace MOC.
  • BuriedinBricksBuriedinBricks USAMember Posts: 1,367
    I'm assuming the speculation comes from this database entry - http://brickset.com/sets/theme-Classic/year-2015

Green and Tan are shown, but no blue.
  • prevereprevere North of Bellville, East of Heartlake, South of Bricksburg, West of Ninjago City Member Posts: 2,922
    So much for my water world layout.
    andhe
  • nexandernexander Glasgow Member Posts: 906
    Seems strange they would stop them with the new pirates theme next year so hopefully not.

Tan would be a welcome addition though.
  • luckyrussluckyruss UKMember Posts: 872
    I'd be with @iccarus, it seems quite likely given the new set numbers

Stock up on the blue now (they may hang around at retail for a while) but tan is massively welcome (I'm regretting buying so many Ramses pyramids for the tan baseplates now!).

If only they'd bring out 48x48s in green or blue too.
    caperberry
  • AdeelZubairAdeelZubair London, UKMember Posts: 2,686
    I was also going to start a small LEGO City after collecting many LEGO Super Heroes sets and my Pet Shop modular building is one of the starting points for more. I hope the blue baseplates are not going to be discontinued.
  • prevereprevere North of Bellville, East of Heartlake, South of Bricksburg, West of Ninjago City Member Posts: 2,922
    Don't forget about using 1x bricks on there sides for baseplates or roads. If you have a lot of basic bricks, it puts them to good use. For roads, it makes for spectacular customization of arrows and signals.
    Natebw
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 10,101
    Well Blue base plates used to go for a a bit of money before they were reintroduced a few years ago. I would say stockpile if you think you want them, as soon as they go they probably will jump in price.
    Tan 32x32 is a welcome site though, especially for those that missed out on them in the insane LEGO Pyramid game clearance pricing fiasco a few years ago.
    Wish 32x32 Gray base plates would come back.

To be honest you would think that 48x48 Green plates would be a bit logical, same with the blue for large fields and 'seas. and lakes '
    Andor
  • SarahIsabellaSarahIsabella USAMember Posts: 69

To be honest you would think that 48x48 Green plates would be a bit logical, same with the blue for large fields and 'seas. and lakes '

They do make Blue 48 x 48 plates, I have several.
    http://www.bricklink.com/search.asp?itemID=824&colorID=7
    Andor
  • KiwiLegoMeisterKiwiLegoMeister New ZealandMember Posts: 212
    48x48 blue came in the Sydney Opera House set.

I say bring back 32x32 red and brown. (from the dolls house sets from the mid 1970's). I've only got 2 and 4 respectively.
    I've got a couple of 32x16 in black too. Did they ever have a 32x32 black (non raised one)?
  • oldtodd33oldtodd33 Denver 4800 miles to BillundMember Posts: 2,578
  • PaperballparkPaperballpark Near ManchesterMember Posts: 4,053
    Meh, people are making assumptions based on a possibly incomplete list of 2015 sets. Has no-one noticed there's two gaps in the numbering?

Plus, of course, not selling them separately doesn't mean the part is being discontinued.
  • SirBenSirBen In the Hall of the Mountain KingMember Posts: 585
    @KiwiLegoMeister 32x32 red comes in the Palace Cinema
    ^ I thought that was Dark Red?
  • FatMattFatMatt USMember Posts: 502
    ^negative
  • jasorjasor United StatesMember Posts: 839
    i WISH it were Dark Red in PC....

They do make Blue 48 x 48 plates, I have several.
    http://www.bricklink.com/search.asp?itemID=824&colorID=7
    Ahh, but then again that is if you either go to LEGO parts, or buy a Opera House, it is not like LEGO is selling them on a shelve.
  • BuriedinBricksBuriedinBricks USAMember Posts: 1,367
    I'm glad to see the price on the 48x48 blue has come down a little.

If we're doing wishlists, I would love to have white baseplates available again, in either 32 or 48.
  • Bosstone100Bosstone100 USAMember Posts: 1,434
    ^ I would love white baseplates.
    TXLegoguy
  • nexandernexander Glasgow Member Posts: 906
    Would love a white base plate, needing one for a project but going to have to build one up using smaller plates. Not as elegant but will need to do.
    TXLegoguy
  • CaptainClutchCaptainClutch East CoastMember Posts: 17
    You would of thought Lego would of released a white baseplate with the City Arctic line.
    TXLegoguy
  • DiggydoesDiggydoes Cologne/GermanyMember Posts: 1,079
    For anybody looking for "fancy" new colors for the 32x32 plate, the (upcoming) detective agency comes with a brown one ;)
    jasorwagnerml2SirBentamamahmLostInTranslationBumblepantsklatu003akunthitaAdeelZubair
  • 19741974 Member Posts: 141
    No it doesn't. Brown was discontinued ages ago .. Last time we saw a brown baseplate was in '78, mate

You must mean (or think of?) the recent reddish brown and/or dark brown (BL colours, TLG's colours are just too wierd for me), no?
  • AanchirAanchir United StatesMember Posts: 2,921
    edited November 2014
    1974 said:

No it doesn't. Brown was discontinued ages ago .. Last time we saw a brown baseplate was in '78, mate

You must mean (or think of?) the recent reddish brown and/or dark brown (BL colours, TLG's colours are just too wierd for me), no?

Reddish brown and dark brown are still types of brown. And technically, their official names are the same as their Bricklink names. Classic brown, on the other hand, is officially Earth Orange, which makes sense since it has the same relationship to Bright Orange as Earth Blue (Bricklink's Dark Blue) has to Bright Blue (classic blue).

I completely understand the impulse to nitpick about color names, but it's good to be able to differentiate between somebody using a strict naming system and just describing the color.
    tamamahmPaperballparkcaperberrymadforLEGOAdeelZubair
  • dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,129

You would of thought Lego would of released a white baseplate with the City Arctic line.

they don't use baseplates in standard sets anymore. been a couple of years now. Modulars + Landmarks sets is about it now.
  • ShibShib UKMember Posts: 5,421
    But they could have put out a white baseplate as a stand alone. I'd have bought loads for Winter Village layouts!
    klatu003dannyrwwAdeelZubairslyreptile
  • luckyrussluckyruss UKMember Posts: 872
    ^ I bought a dozen from bricklink a couple of years ago for precisely that purpose - it wasn't cheap though! I'm not sure that offering base plates in many different colours would impact set sales (could even enhance them) provided they had capacity to make these without cutting other sets (which they might if it's a slightly different process to bricks)
    That's always going to be the primary issue with stuff like baseplates. I like that they are doing a tan baseplate but if it comes at the cost of the blue I can see people being disappointed. However I've seen the blue baseplates marked down far more often than the green, and I can't help but feel like standard ground colours are more likely to be more desirable. Who knows we might see a white solo baseplate yet.
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 19,645
    I don't see why they'd want to make it cheaper than the blue one.

It's strange - I always seem to find green ones marked down rather than blue.
    CCC said:

I don't see why they'd want to make it cheaper than the blue one.

if that was in response to my 'at the cost of the blue' comment then apologies I meant getting the tan in exchange for the blue, as in the blue no longer being made because of the tan
    Oh, yeah. I just re-read it and see that it could be read either way.

Blue are used a lot for water (obviously), so anyone doing pirates / marinas / etc will not be happy if blue is removed.
    1974 said:

Tbh, from the pic i saw i can´t say if it is rather reddish, or dk.brown, that´s why i wrote "brown" ;)
  • binaryeyebinaryeye USMember Posts: 1,734
    You saw a picture of it and all you're talking about is the baseplate? ;)
    binaryeye said:

You saw a picture of it and all you're talking about is the baseplate? ;)

Hehe,that was the first thing that popped in my eye ;)
    Interesting that you noticed the colour of the baseplate, given that it's pretty well hidden from the front of most modulars. I'm guessing you saw a rear view?

Is there anything else to report about it? What's the main colour of the building itself?
    Shib said:

That's always going to be the primary issue with stuff like baseplates. I like that they are doing a tan baseplate but if it comes at the cost of the blue I can see people being disappointed. However I've seen the blue baseplates marked down far more often than the green, and I can't help but feel like standard ground colours are more likely to be more desirable. Who knows we might see a white solo baseplate yet.

I think if LEGO had more Pirate line items the blue would have sold better.
    Kinda funny though that LEGO FINALLY does another Pirate line and the 32x32 blue base plates will be gone...
    ^Plus tan + blue would be perfect for setting up beach scenes!

Is there anything else to report about it? What's the main colour of the building itself?

It's basically two buildings,the Agency and a Barbershop. The main colours for the Agency are light yellow (looks like it at least) and dark orange (masonry bricks!!!),the colours for the Barbershop are dark blue and medium blue!
    BumblepantsdougtsPaperballparkLostInTranslationakunthitawagnerml2
  • JBricks27JBricks27 Member Posts: 678
    Does anyone know if the blue baseplates are being deiscontinued or is it just speculation because they aren't listed in the retailers catalog?
  • maniacmaniac Yorkshire, UKMember Posts: 833
    Diggydoes said:

It's basically two buildings,the Agency and a Barbershop. The main colours for the Agency are light yellow (looks like it at least) and dark orange (masonry bricks!!!),the colours for the Barbershop are dark blue and medium blue!
    Please be 'Cool Yellow' (like #6022083).
    maniac said:

Diggydoes said:

From the look i took at it it looked like the same yellow as used in the "friends"high-school!
    maniacLostInTranslation
  • maniacmaniac Yorkshire, UKMember Posts: 833
    Diggydoes said:

maniac said:

Diggydoes said:

From the look i took at it it looked like the same yellow as used in the "friends"high-school!
    That's the one! :)
    LostInTranslation
    @Diggydoes Thanks! When you say two buildings, could you see if they can split in the middle (a-la Pet Shop) or are they definitely on the same baseplate?
    @Paperballpark split in the middle but seems to be on the same baseplate (divided by a small alley as has been said before by someone else)
    Aanchir said:

1974 said:

Reddish brown and dark brown are still types of brown. And technically, their official names are the same as their Bricklink names. Classic brown, on the other hand, is officially Earth Orange, which makes sense since it has the same relationship to Bright Orange as Earth Blue (Bricklink's Dark Blue) has to Bright Blue (classic blue).

I completely understand the impulse to nitpick about color names, but it's good to be able to differentiate between somebody using a strict naming system and just describing the color.
    (Sorry for the long quote, but the BS format is kinda weird, I think)

Yeah, I was nitpicking, sorry Lord Colourwise ;)

I'll bet brown wasn't called "Earth Orange" inhouse by TLG in '78, their current colour naming scheme does not make a whole lot of sense anyway ..

I've seen people express the fact that baseplates are expensive to make

Not so, they're done by vacuumforming, much cheaper than molding a brick

Why TLG does not want to do multiple colours is up to them, but I think (as allways with TLG's "why the fvck do they do this/or don't do this/or release this set in proper numbers?) it's down to something as mundane (to us) as logistics. Which is a HIGHLY complicated thing with TLG. It is, afterall, one of the most advanced plastic manufactures in the world with an equally complicated infrastructure

Funny coloured baseplates aren't just high up on the menu there. Even if the top management could just flick a switch/write a memo to do pink/whatever baseplates, they still have to be inventoried, packaged, displayed and distributed. That's just not very important when you can't supply those extra one million Friends sets needed for Christmas

Anyway, I'm pretty sure baseplates (for which I'm a huge user end total lover of) are not 'dying' .. they'll crop up here and there (like in the Games sets)

Cheers,

Ole

I doubt they will crop up in games any more.

I hope they don't put them in sets, I prefer buying when I need them, rather than being forced to buy them with a set.
    Yes, Games are toast (<-- too bad, they're lot fun in my household!)

Anyway, I buy all my parts from BL and anything TLG puts out are bound to end up there

But the more sets they appear in, the cheaper the price will be at BL, so I do hope TLG will put them in more sets in the future ;)
  • KiwiLegoMeisterKiwiLegoMeister New ZealandMember Posts: 212
    @SirBen
    SirBen said:

@KiwiLegoMeister 32x32 red comes in the Palace Cinema

True (and I do have Palace Cinema); but that's a little newer than the red base in the Hospital set #231 from 1978. (and brown in the same series' bungalow set #232)

edited November 2014
    1974 said:

But the more sets they appear in, the cheaper the price will be at BL, so I do hope TLG will put them in more sets in the future ;)

I doubt they will be significantly cheaper, as the sets they are in will be more expensive than they would otherwise have been. It may even put people off parting out baseplate containing sets if the baseplate price drops yet the retail prices go up to account for the baseplates being included.