"Want to buy" "Want to sell" feature?

Andi_KAndi_K Member Posts: 1
edited November 2014 in Brickset.com
Hi folks,
my name is Andreas. I am from Germany and have found this forum while looking for building instructions for some old Lego stuff which I would like to sell.

Finally I have found everything I was looking for, what I am really glad about. Thanks to all guys which participate in running this website...!!!

While searching building instruction I found out that there are people around, which are seeking for sets I would like to sell (see picture attached for example). So my question is if it's possible to get connected to those people in any way by a link or what ever, or if I have to post all of my sets on the marketplace forum on a "good luck" basis...???

Thanks for every valuable feedback...
Greetings
Andreas

Comments

• plasmodiumplasmodium UKMember Posts: 1,936
    I think you have to post here on the forums and trust your luck - though what you're suggesting would be a really awesome feature to have. I think the problem is that the brickset.com and bricksetforum.com accounts are two different accounts, and not necessarily linked.

(also, I have a feeling that a lot of the people on Brickset.com who click "I want" are just kids who are not serious collectors - there's no age limit on the main site, but there's a 16+ limit here...)
    Andi_K
  • ShibShib UKMember Posts: 5,214
    edited November 2014
    ^also not everyone likes unsolicited sales, but it would be fine as an opt in service.
  • plasmodiumplasmodium UKMember Posts: 1,936
    Shib said:

^also not everyone likes unsolicited sales, but it would be fine as an opt in service.

Oh yeah, of course.

Maybe if they were on the "for sale" tab for a set - like the eBay listings or something. But I don't know what legal issues Huw might have to work out if the main site had a marketplace 'built-in' as it were (writing up terms and conditions, etc).
    Andi_K
  • The_Mad_VulcanThe_Mad_Vulcan SeattleMember Posts: 162
    The site does have a cool feature where it finds items 'for sale' on eBAY and the net when I click on my wanted items. It would be cool if members could tag their 'haves' as possible 'for sale or trade' so that it could link us together (eBAY being generally overpriced and all).

Though bricklink seems to be better for letting others find sets for sale.
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,779
    Bricklink is a market place, so it makes sense.
  • rocaorocao Administrator Posts: 4,288
    LUGnet had/has this functionality: http://guide.lugnet.com/set/375_2
    "People who want to Buy this set"
    "People who want to Sell this set"

I liked the feature back in the day. I'll move this thread to the Brickset.com category so @Huw can entertain the possibility of implementing something.
  • HuwHuw Brickset Towers, Hampshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,439
    I've always steered away from doing anything like this because (a) the potential for repercussions for the site when something goes wrong. Even if Brickset were to make no charge for hooking up buyer and seller it would still be the facilitator of a trade relationship so users could perceive it to be liable, and (b) it would have the potential to reduce revenue the site receives from eBay.
    Andorroxio
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,779
    Doesn't the marketplace have the same problem though?