Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Do you throw away Lego?

NorlegoNorlego ScotlandMember Posts: 444
I have bought a lot of used Lego lots and I am in a good steam now buying a large job lot every other week. (I can even turn down job lots if I dont get them cheap.) This creates a lot of sorting to remove non-Lego items. But I have come across quite a few bricks without the Lego logo on which makes sorting a bit more difficult. I nearly threw away a tiny bear (belonging to Sleepy). On the other side I dont want to keep a pile of things that might be Lego either.
Maybe it is to much to ask that Lego stick their logo on all the bricks they make. (They do seem to rubber stamp their logo on everything they can get their hands on...)

Comments

• matticus_bricksmatticus_bricks Member Posts: 648
    Yes, I will occasionally throw away Lego, if it is in poor condition. If I see something broken, chewed up, discolored, serious stress marks, other marks, etc, I will throw it away rather than try to make it useable.
  • Kevin_HyattKevin_Hyatt UKMember Posts: 778
    I'll throw away chewed, chipped, stressed or otherwise damaged LEGO. I don't mind light damaged bricks as it gives some unique shades lol
  • bobabricksbobabricks Vancouver, BC, CanadaMember Posts: 1,839
    This guy has a thing to do with broken pieces. ;)

• RedbullgivesuwindRedbullgivesuwind Brickset's Secret HeadquatersMember Posts: 1,810
    ^this is the guy who should do the ideas video. I can't work out if he is drunk or not.
    AndorTheBigLegoskiminicoopers11
  • prof1515prof1515 EarthMember Posts: 1,561
    That guy probably keeps his mother embalmed under his bed. "She's broken but I kept her."
    DevastatorTheBigLegoskiRedbullgivesuwindThirdBuckEyeBrickman
  • piratemania7piratemania7 New EnglandMember Posts: 2,097
    If it is discolored or damaged in any way shape or form I throw it out. Part of the OCD in me I suppose but I only pare perfection with perfection.
  • monkeymonkey Member Posts: 235
    edited November 2014
    If its damaged (unusable) I throw it away, if badly discoloured, has teeth marks etc or a piece I don't want it goes to a charity shop.
  • NorlegoNorlego ScotlandMember Posts: 444
    I was more thinking of Lego that is not stamped witht the Lego and you throw that away not thinking it was Lego. There are quite a number of bricks without the logo on them. This only happens I suppose with job lots of Lego.
  • oldtodd33oldtodd33 Denver 4800 miles to BillundMember Posts: 2,452
    You do have to pay attention to all of the pieces Lego makes. It is possible that you will do that. You just have to familiarize yourself with all of the bricks they have made. It took me years to do that. I do throw away all damaged bricks though, even rare minifigures as they wouldn't be worth much anyways. The only thing I did keep and gave to my son was a heavily damaged Lando and a chewed up light up Obi Won I got out of a minfigure lot.
  • Sethro3Sethro3 United StatesMember Posts: 819
    I don't think I've thrown away any LEGO bricks before. Some of them are stamped on the inside of the minifigure leg, or maybe under the teddy where the stud would fit in. Very small printing.

As far as throwing it away thinking it wasn't LEGO, most often you should be able to tell by plastic quality and color differences. Granted, that isn't exact since LEGO's standards have slipped over the last few years.
  • DevastatorDevastator Member Posts: 66
    Told my wife to hold an intervention if I ever resemble "that guy".

I recently sorted and tossed all my compatible but non-lego pieces from my childhood bucket. Teeth marks are not criteria for tossing, since most of those pieces have them. I guess it was my only brick separator as a kid.
    TheBigLegoski
  • TheBigLegoskiTheBigLegoski Amsterdam, NederlandMember Posts: 1,399
    edited November 2014
    @prof1515 & @Devastator‌
    "Told my wife to hold an intervention if I ever resemble "that guy". "
    On the one hand I am like what did 'that guy' do to be mocked so cruelly, yet at the same time I can't stop LMAO when I read your comments.

ps.
    No I have never thrown away Lego either, but then again I never buy used Lego lots.
  • gmonkey76gmonkey76 ChicagoMember Posts: 1,519
    I'm starting to MOC a junk yard for my city so I'm probably going to put all my broken pieces in there. Put them on one end of the crusher and have some of all the extra 1x1 round plates we get in sets on the other end.
    ThirdBuckEye
  • CapnRex101CapnRex101 United KingdomAdministrator Posts: 2,282
    ^^ I like to think of 'that guy' as charmingly eccentric.
    TheBigLegoskirancorbaitAndor
    I'm sure he's a nice guy and my humor is probably too disrespectful. He does come across as...highly unusual.
  • PatrioticKevinPatrioticKevin Member Posts: 10
    edited November 2014
    Yes, everyday.
  • TLGTLG Member Posts: 125
    "That guy" is just as much an afol as you are...
    No one questions whether he's an AFOL; it's his mental stability or sobriety that appears in doubt.
    mdelleman
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 18,214
    I have a vial with a small amount of acetone in, into which I put any old fleshie heads or other body parts (after wiping the face print). It makes excellent paint for painting fleshie ears onto the S3 elf / S4 werewolf to make new licensed style elf hairpieces.

I do the same with a couple of other colours, but not all. It's fleshie that gets used the most though.
    jasorklatu003
  • jasorjasor United StatesMember Posts: 839
    ^so morbidly artistic. i love it.
  • Big_SalBig_Sal UKMember Posts: 37
    I'm suffering extreme physical and mental anguish at the thought of bricks being thrown away for any reason, let alone just for being discoloured or slightly damaged. You monsters! D:
    Send them to me! They're great for filler or structural bricks that don't get seen.
  • ShibShib UKMember Posts: 5,261
    CCC said:

I have a vial with a small amount of acetone in, into which I put any old fleshie heads or other body parts (after wiping the face print). It makes excellent paint for painting fleshie ears onto the S3 elf / S4 werewolf to make new licensed style elf hairpieces.

I do the same with a couple of other colours, but not all. It's fleshie that gets used the most though.

@CCC don't take this the wrong way but I'm now imagining you as a Lego equivalent of Judge Doom from Who Framed Roger Rabbit. Are all your minifigures living in fear of the dip? ;-)
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 18,214
    No, mine are perfectly safe. Because it is usually the kids' ones that go in the acetone, not mine.

jasorShib
  • BrickmanBrickman Ol' Brick SquareMember Posts: 42
    My old chewed up and discolored bricks (I used to chew on them when I was little :P) are in a bag under my bed. Rarely I have broken parts, but the technic bushings do and I just toss them. Recently I had a 2x2 round plate that had a broken corner. I kept it. I wouldn't toss any LEGO bricks away :)
    Big_Sal
  • ShibShib UKMember Posts: 5,261
    CCC said:

No, mine are perfectly safe. Because it is usually the kids' ones that go in the acetone, not mine.

Touché
    Andor
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,503
    If the part is damaged has smoke damage (tans the parts I find) or really badly sun worn it typically is gone in the recycle bin (not sure if they can recycle, but Id rather chuck it in there than straight out dumping into a garbage bag and therefore a landfill). However I tend to keep the gray castle parts or large plates/colored baseplates as I really do want to try to use the retro-brite formula on those as they are not easy to come by all the time.
  • LordofLegoLordofLego Member Posts: 311
    gmonkey76 said:
    I'm starting to MOC a junk yard for my city so I'm probably going to put all my broken pieces in there. Put them on one end of the crusher and have some of all the extra 1x1 round plates we get in sets on the other end.
    That's a really good idea.

Another idea would be to sell them on Bricklink. They wouldn't go for much, but it would be better than throwing them out.