Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Lego Ideas Results

... and the winners are Birds and Big Bang Theory.
I think they just took the first ones alphabetically. The video which you can see on youtube/twitter says they are still "considering" Doctor Who - I hope that means they are working on a full line. Probably it means they are still negotiating the rights.
TXLegoguy

Comments

• SMCSMC UKMember Posts: 2,064
    Birds I thought we would see something even just one but Big Bang is a total shock but added to my wanted list already.
  • crosseyedpiratecrosseyedpirate Member Posts: 44
    Yeah I wasn't going to be upset if there was no Big Bang Theory, but I will definitely buy one... if they produce enough
    As for Doctor Who, the review period IS the time for "considering" so something must be up.
    Is this the first time two have passed we have not seen any considered and then passed so far but Doctor Who could be different as Lego did seem to ask for sets to be put on ideas.
    GCSLego
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 19,645
    edited November 2014
    Have the posts on the other thread about the same subject that appears to have been removed just been dumped? I wrote one, and also the OP there had put the link to the official video.
  • LegoKipLegoKip A cottage by the sea, California, US Member Posts: 259
    @CCC‌
    The thread has been moved from the Forum to the homepage.
  • GallardoLUGallardoLU USAMember Posts: 644
    personally I hope that Doctor Who is scrapped as an ideas set and roles into a full line. there is far to much content to limit it to one singular set. but really as long as The Doctor gets immortalized in Lego (as if he needed another regeneration :P ) then I am happy
    Andor
    ^ I don't need a whole line so I was hoping for an ideas set, guess we don't really know what is happening with it now.
  • iso3200iso3200 97 miles from Brickset TowersMember Posts: 2,057
    edited November 2014
    I've never watched BBT before. Is it aimed at an adult audience or kids/teens? Certainly makes it interesting if its mainly for adults, as the release of the set would be another nod to AFOLs.

Given that I've never watched the show, I quite like the set anyway. Cool minifigs (if they stick to the Ideas versions) and shelf appeal after the build. Let's hope they do the numbers right this time so everyone can buy one or two without resorting to aftermarket hunting. They really should introduce a pre-order system for VIPs. Could that really be so hard to implement?
  • graphitegraphite USMember Posts: 3,270
    ^^ There is a lot of content but to me most of it doesn't lend itself well to LEGO sets. Or at least not small scale sets. Kind of the way the hobbit/LOTR is just a lot of sets with random piles of bricks as the sets. Where Dr Who excels is the variety of characters. A Dr Who CMF series coupled with a Ideas set with the Tardis would be the way to go for me. But I already have a ~14 inch tall Tardis so its really just the figs I'd be interested in.

Excited about the Big Bang set though. Too bad I won't be able to finish all my vignettes before this comes out as it might make me a little lazy on finishing them.
    edited November 2014
    I hope they limit the Big Bang theory to four minifigs, the four main guys - like the Ghostbusters. Any more and it will be getting too large for an IDEAS set.

^^ It is young adults onwards, with a bit of smut / innuendo, but no doubt teens watch it too.

They could put the Sheldon minifig in the show, and someone might say that Sheldon is always playing with himself.
  • jasorjasor United StatesMember Posts: 839
    iso3200 said:

I've never watched BBT before. Is it aimed at an adult audience or kids/teens? Certainly makes it interesting if its mainly for adults, as the release of the set would be another nod to AFOLs.

Given that I've never watched the show, I quite like the set anyway. Cool minifigs (if they stick to the Ideas versions) and shelf appeal after the build. Let's hope they do the numbers right this time so everyone can buy one or two without resorting to aftermarket hunting. They really should introduce a pre-order system for VIPs. Could that really be so hard to implement?

Or how about....if you voted for the set in Ideas, you get the first round production?
    It would drive voting vs sitting and watching, give people that were pretty passionate about wanting that set a full shot at it, and really drive home the full cycle from submittal to production.
  • GIR3691GIR3691 Member Posts: 672
    Zelda gets rejected but Big Bang Theory is accepted. I don't want to live on this planet anymore.

TheBrickLaddmdellemanthenosmatticus_bricksSteve_J_OMThirdBuckEyeOmniusRainstorm26waynegg
  • tamamahmtamamahm Member Posts: 1,977
    Honestly... I just find it stupid on Lego's part. It seems to make far more obvious sense to simply bypass Lego Ideas and have gone directly for a license to create 1-3 special edition Doctor Who sets.

I really do not like the approach they did at all for handling Doctor Who, nor how they phrased the "oh, maybe, might, if, considering". This could have been handled better, and my presumption if they are waiting is that it is less "We really don't know if we are making something", but basically "We are making something, but we are trying to sort out licenses, details, and what makes the most sense.".

As for the ones picked, Big Bang makes tons of sense to me.

1) They just had RI. A very science related female set that sold out immediately.
    2) Here is a nice little science set to follow that up that has females and males in it, which will make everyone (except Whovians waiting or Doctor Who) happy.

WIthout every having watched the show (hard to believe), I see a set with a ton of playability and some cool science things in the room. To me it makes a perfect follow-up to RI.

Birds...eh. They are classic, and nice, and if they put an educational booklet in there I can see it selling.

Andor
  • epyon396epyon396 Member Posts: 268
    Big Bang Theory won?
    Burning all of my LEGO this afternoon.
    PdyxthenosSilentModematticus_bricksThirdBuckEyeyys4u
  • TechnicNickTechnicNick Berkshire, UKMember Posts: 279
    The old licensed v creative stand-off seems to be a draw. I'll buy Birds on day one. TBBT... not so much.
    Natebw
  • cheshirecatcheshirecat Member Posts: 5,332
    edited November 2014
    So pleased birds made it. Its just a really nice project and its good when that gets given a chance.

As for Dr who, perhaps the bbc had a bad experience with character building or whoever it was.or perhaps the bbc weren't keen on just an ideas set?

Surely wall-e is a shoe in next round.
    dougtsThirdBuckEye
  • ytjediytjedi Member Posts: 18
    I'm probably more interested in seeing what little accessories they populate the Big Bang Theory set with. That'll be what tips the scale for me. The Birds set has always looked nice, but doesn't fit in my collection focus, so it's a pass for me. I would be very much interested in Doctor Who though :) The announcement that it is still a possibility was the best part of the results for me.
    Andor
  • Gooker1Gooker1 Member Posts: 598
    I can imagine it will be the guys plus Penny in the living room and kitchen setup or just the living room. I think this is a one off and that will be it. BBT is the most popular comedy on TV and has been for the past few years, so this is perfect for Lego to reach a new customer base for all the diehard BBT fans out there.

I couldn't care less...I'm not a fan of the show, but the gf is.
  • Kevin_HyattKevin_Hyatt UKMember Posts: 778
    BBT has great cross-appeal and will sell loads to general fans of the show.
  • bluedragonbluedragon United StatesMember Posts: 505
    as @graphite said- Dr. Who CMF BUT use a large Tardis as the display case!
    ThirdBuckEye
    CCC said:

I hope they limit the Big Bang theory to four minifigs, the four main guys - like the Ghostbusters.

If they did it without Penny they'd be making a huge mistake. For one, she is a major part of the premise of the show (and also one of the 3 $1mil per episode actors so the network knows thats the case). I wouldn't want them to but it would make more sense to drop Raj than to not have Penny but I'd prefer all 7 of them. Secondly after the whole RI/girls in LEGO fiasco they'd be shooting themselves in the foot to make it only the 4 guys.

cardgeniusRonyarBrickDancer

as @graphite said- Dr. Who CMF BUT use a large Tardis as the display case!

That would actually be really cool. If they ever did enough figs from Dr Who I might have to convert mine into an opening case if they don't do their own.
  • jasorjasor United StatesMember Posts: 839
    there is no way Leonard, Penny, or Sheldon are omitted from the set. In fact, that may be the ONLY 3 minifigs in it.
    cheshirecat
  • ShibShib UKMember Posts: 5,421
    If i was a betting man i'd have lost a lot of money on both counts there. I'm happy enough with both.
    I thought little birds would be too much of a display only set, but maybe the roaring success of the exo suit prooved to TLG that theres a market for AFOL centric sets, my worry though is that they'll push the. Towards Creator animals, which are fine, but not what i liked about the little birds projects.
    Big Bang Theory, i wander if it only happened because the multiple references they've made to Lego in the show, i didn't think it would get throught because it's much more of an adult show, although in the UK the censored version does get played during the day.
    Andor
    graphite said:

I wouldn't want them to but it would make more sense to drop Raj than to not have Penny but I'd prefer all 7 of them.

Hmmm ... cut out the coloured guy. Would they want to appear racist?
  • tamamahmtamamahm Member Posts: 1,977
    graphite said:

CCC said:

I hope they limit the Big Bang theory to four minifigs, the four main guys - like the Ghostbusters.

If they did it without Penny they'd be making a huge mistake. For one, she is a major part of the premise of the show (and also one of the 3 $1mil per episode actors so the network knows thats the case). I wouldn't want them to but it would make more sense to drop Raj than to not have Penny but I'd prefer all 7 of them. Secondly after the whole RI/girls in LEGO fiasco they'd be shooting themselves in the foot to make it only the 4 guys.

I don't agree with the Raj comment, for the reason CCC mentioned, but yes, from the bit I've heard about the show, Lego would be completely shooting themselves in the foot to put out the set without Penny.

CCC said:

graphite said:

I wouldn't want them to but it would make more sense to drop Raj than to not have Penny but I'd prefer all 7 of them.

No, but your quote does. lol :)
    epyon396graphitedougtsstreekerThirdBuckEye
  • kezkez United KingdomMember Posts: 831
    Ooh, I look very forward to the birds project however I have never watched the Big Bang theory before, I may have to give it a look. :-D
  • cardgeniuscardgenius Member Posts: 153
    I hope they do a scene with all 7 sitting around the couch eating dinner. Cause it'll be very disappointing if they leave anyone out.
  • thenosthenos Twin Cities, MNMember Posts: 436
    Birds maybe... but BBT? No. Serious pandering to something that is kinda hot right now (but not really, the peak has passed). Ghostbusters and BTTF stood the test of time and had significant nostalgia too. In 30 years I will bet no one is talking about BBT. I don't need everything I like in Lego form...

Maybe my Good Times project will go through. Dynomite.
    ThirdBuckEyeyys4u
    CCC said:

Wasn't my intent but as you proved someone would take it that way. Just as if Howard was left out someone would claim they left him out because he was Jewish. From watching the show or reading about the progression of it, it is obvious Raj has the smallest part (before he started being able to talk in front of women) which is why he'd be the choice to leave out. But LEGO would realize the ramifications of leaving him out and include him. But at this point in the show they'll get flack if they leave out any of the 7. I love the show and honestly I'd rather have them include Bernadette and Amy over Penny but I know they wouldn't include them and not her.

• maniacmaniac Yorkshire, UKMember Posts: 833
    I had a feeling a licenced build would pass due to the amount of time it's taken for them to announce the results.

Extremely happy that Birds has made it. Not so bothered about BBT as I lost interest with it after s2.
  • Jern92Jern92 MalaysiaMember Posts: 838
    I love TBBT and am so glad it's going to be produced. Will not make the mistake of waiting like I did with RI before; this time, it's going to be a day 1 purchase!
    graphite said:

CCC said:

Wasn't my intent but as you proved someone would take it that way. Just as if Howard was left out someone would claim they left him out because he was Jewish. From watching the show or reading about the progression of it, it is obvious Raj has the smallest part (before he started being able to talk in front of women) which is why he'd be the choice to leave out. But LEGO would realize the ramifications of leaving him out and include him. But at this point in the show they'll get flack if they leave out any of the 7. I love the show and honestly I'd rather have them include Bernadette and Amy over Penny but I know they wouldn't include them and not her.

If they leave out Amy Farrah Fowler, a dead ringer is the librarian minifig. :)
    jasor
  • AanchirAanchir United StatesMember Posts: 2,921
    I like The Big Bang Theory, though I don't watch it religiously — just when my parents happen to have it on. To be honest, I don't get why so many people find it insulting, as it shows a wider variety of "geek" characters than many shows that just pile every single negative stereotype on a single side character's shoulders. Plus its less geeky characters like Penny are just as often the butt of jokes as its geek characters like Raj, Leonard, and Amy.

Also, from what I've seen, it has had some surprisingly good character development. In a lot of the sitcoms I grew up watching like Seinfeld and Home Improvement, I didn't get a real sense that the characters or their relationships with one another were nearly as dynamic. But in The Big Bang Theory, even without being extremely moralistic about it, I get a sense that the characters do in fact learn and grow. So I get the sense that people who boil it down to "a show that makes fun of nerds" aren't really getting the big picture.

I also think it's an impressive reflection of society that a show like this can be so successful. Years ago, it might have seemed a bit novel to people when Seinfeld cracked jokes about Superman. But The Big Bang Theory makes jokes about all kinds of nerdy topics ranging from Star Trek to Green Lantern to actual science-related celebrities such as Neil DeGrasse Tyson. The fact that these kinds of references aren't considered too weird for American primetime viewing audiences really shows how "nerdy" is becoming the new "normal" — things like video games, superhero movies, and yes, even LEGO are no longer experiences specific to kids or to a niche audience of adult fans.

I do wonder if it's the best brand fit for LEGO, as some of its humor can be very adult. The Simpsons, at least, is a franchise that has had plenty of time to prove it has all-ages appeal, and many people who experienced it as children can now vouch for that as adults. The Big Bang Theory, as a newer franchise, will probably face much sharper public scrutiny, and to be honest I'm very surprised the LEGO Group OKed it — when it reached review I would have considered it dead on arrival.

I'm sure a set of the main living room set as depicted in the proposal would be the best subject matter for the final model. I wonder how many characters they can manage to incorporate.
    Jern92
  • GallardoLUGallardoLU USAMember Posts: 644
    the number one thing I want big bang theory for is the potential micro Lego death star accessory :P I mean I do enjoy the show quite a lot but all the nifty little decorations on top of the fact I enjoy the show really sold it for me.
    gmonkey76
  • richlrichl NYCMember Posts: 246
    I'm surprised that Doctor Who is still being considered as Character Building has been releasing more CMF lines and sets recently, so I had assumed that they had reacquired the license.
  • BastaBasta Australia Member Posts: 1,259
    edited November 2014
    Both of these sets are good choices for TLG, I like the Birds sets and will probably still get the BBT set too.

The next review period is interesting, unless TLG supprise us all. Only Wall-E and the Hubble Telescope have a chance (light sabers maybe), I'll almost garuntee one or both of those two will be the winner. All the other sets are huge and so would be very unlikely to get picked.
    Aanchir said:

To be honest, I don't get why so many people find it insulting

It's blackface for nerds.
    epyon396 said:

I hear that a lot and as someone who rates pretty high on the nerd scale (being about 40 and still buying comics and toys for myself, not to mention loving science fiction), I always stayed away from TBBT. The last year or so, though, I find myself watching reruns on TBS at night and enjoy it a lot.

Also, personally I think that using the word 'blackface' somehow attempts to equate nerds to people who have been oppressed for centuries and I find that a lot more problematic and insulting than the show will ever be. Your mileage on that may vary, though.
    ShibRedbullgivesuwindTheBigLegoskiAanchirBJ21pharmjodgmonkey76
    I'm a geek/nerd and I love the show. But then again I don't get insulted when people poke fun at stuff I like. Like Southpark, everything is game for ridicule.
    richlShibJern92TheBigLegoski
  • ShibShib UKMember Posts: 5,421
    ^ditto. I heard it described exactly the same, and as a sci fi/comic book/anything nerdy fan i watch it an enjoy it. I think the blackface comment is ridiculous, if you take that at full value then would it be fine if the characters were played by nerds?
    gmonkey76
    richl said:

epyon396 said:

I hear that a lot and as someone who rates pretty high on the nerd scale (being about 40 and still buying comics and toys for myself, not to mention loving science fiction), I always stayed away from TBBT. The last year or so, though, I find myself watching reruns on TBS at night and enjoy it a lot.

Also, personally I think that using the word 'blackface' somehow attempts to equate nerds to people who have been oppressed for centuries and I find that a lot more problematic and insulting than the show will ever be. Your mileage on that may vary, though.
    I had a whole thing response typed up, but deleted it. Internet arguments and such.
    richlNatebw
    epyon396 said:

I had a whole thing response typed up, but deleted it. Internet arguments and such.

Understood. Glad one of us exercised restraint at least (that's you, not me!). :)
    epyon396
  • DrLegOBrickDrLegOBrick UKMember Posts: 68
    Fantastic! As a fan of TBBT, I was extremely surprised, in a good way, that it got through. So many Lego fans seem to hate the show (for what reason, I don't know), and the fact that it's minifig intensive, I thought it hadn't got a chance. I'm now worrying that it'll only have "the big three".

I'm also very happy Birds got through, I could see a lot of time and effort had gone into the making of that, I personally won't be buying it (I've still got the Delorean and Exo suit to get!) but I hope that goes well.

Doctor Who... I'm secretly looking forward to this, though I'm trying not to get too hopeful in case they pull the plug on it. I'm a big fan, and have been since I can remember.
    Personally, I can certainly why it's taking so long. What Doctor do you make? Will it be the inside as well as the outside of the TARDIS? If it is the inside, what "desktop theme" will it be? What Companions will their be, if any? What about adversaries? If you go for, say, Dalek's and Cybermen, what style will you go for? Modern, original, or one of the many, many variants in between? Even if you did all 13/14 Doctor's, and maybe a Cyberman, a Dalek, and say the Master, how much money is that going to be? 14/15 actors likeness's isn't going to be cheap, not to mention the sets price.

Also, consider this, would Character Options complain like Hasbo did for Star Wars if you released a set of just the Doctor's, as minifigs are viewed as "action figures" by some? I know Character building, the knock off guys who made Dr Who clones before, were tied to Character Options, so how they did things may not be applicable to how Lego do things.

I see them either doing a small wave, which I'd love but I find unlikely, only the current Doctor, can it and ditch the whole thing, or Eccleston, Tennant, Smith and Capaldi and say one classic doctor, no doubt Tom Baker based on popularity.

Just give me a 3rd, 7th, 10th, Sarah Jane, and K-9, and I'll die happy.
    ^ if they no longer hold the license, then they cannot complain.
  • beabea Member Posts: 227
    I thought the birds would be the pick but Big Bang Theory seems a bit left field to me. Do kids watch that show?
  • RedbullgivesuwindRedbullgivesuwind Brickset's Secret HeadquatersMember Posts: 1,931
    Personally I have never bought the whole I am a nerd/geek thing. I put it on the same level as people justify anything with "it's a guilty pleasure". I like what I do and I don't care about the rest of you. However, if you can't also laugh at yourself or see the ludicrousness of your hobbies and just laugh it off boy do you miss out some very funny stuff. It's a lack of humour that I gave up getting involved in the Star Wars communities. Or any music one. I have thoughts on the whole persecuted complex that has built up in the alternative community. But that is another day.

Looking forward to the birds set it seems like it has some interesting building techniques to have a look at. I am hoping it does well enough for a run at least. Maybe they could have a hawk, small birds and so forth.
    Jern92TheBigLegoski
    bea said:

I thought the birds would be the pick but Big Bang Theory seems a bit left field to me. Do kids watch that show?

LEGO probably considers kids still their main target overall but the Ideas thing to me is definitely not kid targeted. It is unlikely that kids are the ones voting up these ideas and LEGO has to know that. BTTF and Ghostbuster while kid friendly are definitely not the source of the success of those two sets in LEGO.

• CrowkillersCrowkillers Member Posts: 757
    Lego got the #1 Comedy show on American television. The release of a set based on TBBT will most likely sell very well to the large fanbase of the show to people who may have never even bought a Lego set. The release of this set is not targeted towards children. This will also open many doors for future ideas.

Smart move by Lego IMO.
    AndorDaragh